Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
As Larry said in his article last night, Gallant has an ideal playstyle for his bottom pairing, which is in the mould of Tinordi-Nemeth. That is why Schneider is up and Jones isn't playing. He wants big, safe, stay at home defenseman. Schneider should be more effective though in making things happen with the puck though so hopefully he sticks.

If thats the case, then we need to add a better player than Nemeth.

There are big, D first guys who can move a puck in the league. Hell we may have that guy in the system in Robertson though hes probably a ways away.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
If thats the case, then we need to add a better player than Nemeth.

There are big, D first guys who can move a puck in the league. Hell we may have that guy in the system in Robertson though hes probably a ways away.

That's why I think kids will be on the move. Veteran coaches often hate playing kids and I don't think having two or three young kids developing on the D is what Gallant wants. If they promised Panarin a push for the cup in his prime (ie now) the Rangers cannot afford to wait for the Robertsons etc to mature into fully grown NHL D men.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We’re definitely having trouble scoring, but too often the opposition turns simple dump ins into extended zone time and it tires the team out. When we do breakout we’re forcing shit and turning it over leading to easy breakins which exacerbate the problems. It’s hard to get any momentum going over a period when you spend 2/3 of it defending dumb cycles off dump ins, and the last 1/3 is one and done dump ins/line changes.

I think the thought process is that Schneider will help tilt the ice a bit with his physical play and hopefully be tougher to play against along the boards. That’s how Drury and Gallant clearly want us to play, and Lundqvist on the 3rd pair with 11 min and minimal PP time doesn’t really accomplish that. I think they wanted to give him time in the NHL likely due to promises they made to him and to also build his value.

We’ve also had weaker coverage in front of the net. Lots of injury time and new faces doesn’t help with that that but I’m ok changing up the rookies on D to see what we have in them.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nils does not get eaten alive. He's stronger than he looks and like Fox, he knows how to gain leverage to avoid being dominated physically. This narrative is way too prevalent and false.

It's only brought up by people who are focused on size. Reminds me of The League's episode "height supremacist" :laugh:

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Nils does not get eaten alive. He's stronger than he looks and like Fox, he knows how to gain leverage to avoid being dominated physically. This narrative is way too prevalent and false.

I haven't really seen evidence of that yet, but that may come with a little more growth and playing time in Hartford. I would say being small in stature is about the only thing he has in common with Fox. Even how he likes to operate offensively is distinctly different than Fox. He has a much more shoot-first mentality, especially when given chances on the PP.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I see Nils as very willing to engage, but I swear I've seen him straight bounce off of people several times. He may actually be better served if he didn't try to physically engage as often as he does. He's like the anti-Miller, in that respect.

Yup.

He doesn’t avoid contact, but the difference between him and Fox is that Fox understands he won’t win the majority of these battles and makes sure that they don’t really happen.

To Nils credit, he’s handled it better than I expected him to, but he still loses way more often than he wins.

Reactions: bhamill and nyr2k2

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
No, I think its more so A) an atta boy for apparently playing well in HFD (Leslie Treff says hes been their best Dman) and B) A chance to see how he responds against better competition.

They are getting a look. He's 20. The expectation shouldn't be that he sticks in the NHL from here on out.
Good to give all the kids some time in the nhl. Showcase them. See how they respond. I think it adds to their trade value immediately too.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
I see Nils as very willing to engage, but I swear I've seen him straight bounce off of people several times. He may actually be better served if he didn't try to physically engage as often as he does. He's like the anti-Miller, in that respect.
I have seen that too. When he has the puck or is presented with a 50/50 he has held his own.

Reactions: maris and egelband

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I don’t know if I’m watching a different game than everyone else, but Nils hasn’t been bad to me. He looks like a normal kid getting used to the pace.

I think we’re so spoiled with defensemen coming in and exceeding expectations. This goes all the way back to the Girardi and McDonagh era. These guys came in and immediately looked better than they did in the AHL. Same goes for guys like Lindgren, MDZ, etc. He slowed down big time, but K’Andre was absolutely dynamite when he first came in and that was from college.

Expectations were high for the former Swedish SHL defenseman of the year. To me, he looks like any other defenseman starting out his career. And to be honest, I’m more comfortable with our prospects showing slow, steady progression, rather than blowing their load early and sputtering out. I’m literally desperate for just one of our young forwards to do this.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I've always gotten McDonagh vibes from Schneider, where he elevates his game against superior competition. I don't think it would be shocking if he played really well right out of the gate and stuck. He's also perfect for a Turk-coached team and with the identity the team is trying to forge.

He definitely more physical than McDonagh but I see what you're talking about. Pretty pumped to see him out there.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
With Schneider in the lineup, we now have 3 big boys who love to throw the occasional monster hit. One on each pair. Opposing players are always going to have to keep their heads up.

I think Schneider ends up being the most physical defensemen on the roster once he adjusts to the NHL level.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is being 2 inches shorter than Miller and 1 inch shorter than Trouba really diminutive?

Hockeydb heights:

Schneider - 188cm
Trouba - 191cm
Miller - 193cm

It’s not like Miller’s 6’5” while Schneider’s 6’.

Is being 1 or 2 inches shorter than Lindgren really diminutive?

Lindgren - 183 cm
Fox - 181 cm
Lundkvist - 179 cm
Jones - 178 cm

Reactions: dapowl

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
At the end of the day, he just needs to play big, play with sandpaper, play physical and also withstand physical play put on him. Opponents will be dumping the puck in on his side and testing him out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unpredictable1

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
McDonagh was a nasty player at Wisconsin. Regularly stepped up and crushed people at the blue line.

The physical play doesn’t always transfer as you’d hope.

Sure, I totally understand but I have confidence in this kid on that part. (Skjei back in college was somewhat similar to McD in that matter)

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

My biggest problem with all this is that I wish we were playing tonight lol

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Might hurt some to watch since it's team Canada ;) and I've watched him since, but some good highlights in this clip. He has a great combo of just the right size, nastiness, mobility, and sprinkle in some offensive instincts. Out of the trio of Jones/Lundqvist/Schneider I've been the most excited about the latter. (I really like the other 2 as well who are going to be more offensive minded IMO)

Cheers all

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Good to give all the kids some time in the nhl. Showcase them. See how they respond. I think it adds to their trade value immediately too.
This is exactly what’s happening. Jones and Lundkvist have both had extended NHL looks now. Time for Schneider to get a turn. Gather some data and decide who will be included in the next big trade.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
So tomorrow is a must watch 4:30 mf AM hockey game. Get hyped!

I used to image a RD-corps of Fox, Schneider, Lundkvist. Since Trouba's awakening it's Fox-Trouba-Schneider.

Here's to a great debut kid, show us what you got!

Let's goo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad