Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I feel like there have been so many defining moments this season... the win against Tampa w :16 secs to go for example... but his hit and fight against the Devs really stand out to me for some reason.

It just lingers in the "wow" category for me.

Maybe because of the "No quit in NY" bit or the fact that this "kid" looks like he could be what this franchise has been thirsty for, and yearning for, for decades.

No one will be Leetch... Foxy won a Norris and hopefully more.

But a punishing D man who scares the f*** out of opponents physically AND skill wise is something we haven't had in my lifetime. Trouba has been close... Staal and G at times... Beuk? Ok maybe.

I hope he's the modern Scott Stevens... because he'll be a joy to watch as he destroys & SCARES the opposition.
Think a lack of goals will make it hard for Fox to win another Norris.

Reactions: brakeyawself

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
When the Rangers traded up to nab him before the Devils selected him, it made it 10x sweeter.

After the draft I was thinking there would be a moment where he would assert himself in a game, in the Rock, proving how great of a deal it was to move up and steal him. If Gorts didnt pull that trigger it just as easily wouldve been him laying out Lafreniere instead.

Didnt think it would happen this early in his career though. Man. This kid is gonna be a stud. Let him continue to grow and get a little playoff experience.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
When the Rangers traded up to nab him before the Devils selected him, it made it 10x sweeter.

After the draft I was thinking there would be a moment where he would assert himself in a game, in the Rock, proving how great of a deal it was to move up and steal him. If Gorts didnt pull that trigger it just as easily wouldve been him laying out Lafreniere instead.

Didnt think it would happen this early in his career though. Man. This kid is gonna be a stud. Let him continue to grow and get a little playoff experience.

Schneider and Miller could be a famous pair one day.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Park was a much better version of Schneider in terms of combining skill and hitting, but that's a lifetime ago.

Kloucek was a tremendous hitting defenseman, but his career fell apart.

I hope Schneider never becomes like Stevens, who I thought was the dirtiest defenseman of my lifetime. He was a stone-cold headhunter.
Fair enough about Park (I'm too young for him... which I NEVER say)

As far as Stevens... things were a bit different then... your sentiment is valid though.

I just want teams to be afraid of us... not even brutality wise.

Teams feared Mess and Leetch... clearly feared Hank even.

I want guys to flinch or hesitate crossing the redline due to Schneider

Reactions: bhamill

OTGHockey

Mar 25, 2022
outsidethegarden.com
It's been really quite remarkable how successful the Rangers have been with defensemen in recent seasons. For sure they focused on that area, even at the expense of going light in the forwards, but you still have to be impressed that they've managed to produce/evolve:

Fox, Lindgren, Miller and now Schneider. They also identified and traded away Pionk, drafted and traded Skjei and rehabilitated (at least in a game sense) Tony DeAngelo.

They still have Lundkvist, Jones, Robertson and perhaps Skinner as potential trading chips or future replacements...but there's not many teams out there who've had this sort of pipeline.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
It's been really quite remarkable how successful the Rangers have been with defensemen in recent seasons. For sure they focused on that area, even at the expense of going light in the forwards, but you still have to be impressed that they've managed to produce/evolve:

Fox, Lindgren, Miller and now Schneider. They also identified and traded away Pionk, drafted and traded Skjei and rehabilitated (at least in a game sense) Tony DeAngelo.

They still have Lundkvist, Jones, Robertson and perhaps Skinner as potential trading chips or future replacements...but there's not many teams out there who've had this sort of pipeline.
And not for nothing, I'd say Trouba is playing the best all around hockey of his career.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Fair enough about Park (I'm too young for him... which I NEVER say)

As far as Stevens... things were a bit different then... your sentiment is valid though.

I just want teams to be afraid of us... not even brutality wise.

Teams feared Mess and Leetch... clearly feared Hank even.

I want guys to flinch or hesitate crossing the redline due to Schneider

Stevens used to use his shoulder pads as weapons against skulls.

One time, I think it was late in a game against Carolina, with the outcome already settled, Stevens concussed a player for no reason whatsover, other than to be a prick.

I agree that it's good to be feared, but not because someone is trying to end your career and longterm health.

Going back in time once again, Bobby Clarke was the dirtiest forward I ever saw. He would try and injure you and then hide behind a wall of players.

When the first tournament happened between Russia and Canada, a guy named Kharlamov was a magician on ice for Russia. He wasn't Gretzky, but he was as close as anyone else in ability. Clarke took a two-handed swing at Kharlamov's ankle and broke it, knocking him out of the series. From that point on, I rooted for Russia.

Kharlamov played against North American teams 102 times. He scored 55 goals and added 74 assists, for a total of 129 points.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Stevens used to use his shoulder pads as weapons against skulls.

One time, I think it was late in a game against Carolina, with the outcome already settled, Stevens concussed a player for no reason whatsover, other than to be a prick.

I agree that it's good to be feared, but not because someone is trying to end your career and longterm health.

Going back in time once again, Bobby Clarke was the dirtiest forward I ever saw. He would try and injure you and then hide behind a wall of players.

When the first tournament happened between Russia and Canada, a guy named Kharlamov was a magician on ice for Russia. He wasn't Gretzky, but he was as close as anyone else in ability. Clarke took a two-handed swing at Kharlamov's ankle and broke it, knocking him out of the series. From that point on, I rooted for Russia.

Kharlamov played against North American teams 102 times. He scored 55 goals and added 74 assists, for a total of 129 points.
I respect Kharlamov but that’s playing for an all star team vs regular teams. Def not apples to apples.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
First line player on any team in the NHL at that time. Not sure if he would have stood up to the wear and tear. Maybe he just would have caught the Philly flu a couple of times a season.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I can see the Rangers trading Ryan Lindgren in the offseason to play Braden Schneider with Adam Fox next season

• Love
Reactions: Unpredictable1

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
I can see the Rangers trading Ryan Lindgren in the offseason to play Braden Schneider with Adam Fox next season
Fox and Schneider are both right handed shots, why would you have either play the left side?
When Lindgren goes he will be replaced by Robertson. Schneider will move up in the lineup when Trouba is moved in two years when his no movement clause becomes a 15 no trade clause. They have Jones and Lundkvist in the wings think 1 or both will be moved for a young center to play on the 2nd line. Although both are very good prospects dont think you can last a long playoff run with 3 smallish defenders.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
If you're going to move Schneider to the left side next season, just have him play with Lundkvist.

To be totally honest - and I do like Lundvist, I'd look to get Jones up so him and Schneider can pick up where they left off in the A. Schneider is already showing he'll be the tower of power on a pair - let jones zip around like a waterbug.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Montreal would be nuts to trade Guhle for Nils.

If we had KAM and Guhle no one would even try to test the left side of the ice.
Lundkvist is a really good player. He is a top 50 NHL prospect. He is a right-handed shooting puck moving D who can play in your top 4 and can be your QB your PP for the next 7 years. Many teams need that type of player. Montreal is one of those teams.

Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lundkvist is a really good player. He is a top 50 NHL prospect. He is a right-handed shooting puck moving D who can play in your top 4 and can be your QB your PP for the next 7 years. Many teams need that type of player. Montreal is one of those teams.

Unless we get a young center with the same upside, I have no desire to trade him.

Not for picks, not for a winger, not for a LHD

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
How has Skjei been for the Canes? Is it fair to say that if things go the way we expect with Schneider that would be one of Gorton's better moves?

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I must say Schneider has moved up in my "should earn a spot to develop with the big boys?" category. I knew he was puck gifted just like Jones, Lundkvist, Robertson(?) and can skate. All of them can play physical, but they're not as tough and confident as Schneider right now. They have to believe in their game and themselves just as much as Schneider does. That's a mental thing even McKinnon struggled with.

Can I say NYR feels like the old Red Wings? I have no doubt both Jones and Lundkvist could play solid seasons as NHL rookies in the NHL. They're both good enough from what I've seen.

But they're stuck on a team that is stacked beyond belief in most positions. Same situation for Laf and Kakko, you're not our new #1 draft hope, you're a still in progress and don't have that pressure on you yet to carry the team. Neither will you get the opportunity unfortunately, until you can outcompete your mates.

Top draft picks usually don't end up on teams pushing in the playoffs. They end up on the Devils. So of course Hughes has scored more and probably developed more than Kakko, Laf or whoever. But their team is still not impressive. A classic #1 draft pick team and place.

I like the feel of a Red Wings approach towards prospects. No hurry. The only problem is the players might revolt in their own way. That requires communication and so far it doesn't look that great with Kravtsov leaving.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad