Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Injuries happen…..also young players can lose the thread so it’s good to have extra players if you need them. In the ‘94 playoffs Doug Lidster went in for Alex Karpovtsev who was struggling. Lidster hadn’t played in weeks. He was a vet with a lot of years though and almost immediately made a positive impact on the Rangers D and he made several key contributions to the Rangers Cup victory.

Not that I expect Schneider to struggle the way Karpovtsev did. He has been excellent so far. That said there are reasons you bring in a player like Braun even if you end up not using him much.

Rangers had Ralph Diaz and Matt Hunwick making starts in the playoffs. There will be injuries for sure. Braun was a good add.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Schneider had a tough game against TB before the deadline. He has better against Carolina on the next night. Drury traded a 3rd round pick in 2023 to rent Braun. The Rangers immediately scratch Schneider to play Braun. The Rangers were awful against the Devils. They were up 2-0 after the first period and they thought the game was over. They gave Braun one game. Schneider has played every game since then. Why did Drury trade for Braun? Schneider is making him look dumb. It's early. Maybe Braun gets another opportunity. Schneider should be given every opportunity to play in the playoffs. The dude isn't gaining experience without playing. He has shown that he can play.

Drury made the move because the Rangers have no one else on the right side. They have Hajek if Nemeth struggles. That's not saying much. Schneider can play. He should play. Even if he has a bad game.
Shanghai is locked down because of corona. We can get it here in the US in the playoffs. Injuries happen. Players need maintenance days in the hard, long playoffs. If you'd like to go deep, adding a depth defenseman for the cost of a mid-round pick is worth it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Bumping this so any lurking Devils fans can get a reminder that we traded in front of them to take the guy that just owned them.

denzel-monica.gif

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I remember people laughing at me in the summer when I said Schneider would be more valuable to this franchise than Nils bc the type of player he is can be so hard to find in this league today. Kid has such a bright future as a stalwart pain in the ass to play against. LOVED that pick

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Had anyone else previously been wondering if Schneider was holding back on his physical game in terms of throwing big hits? I had been thinking about this the past few weeks and debated posting about it.

I remember during a 2020 TSN draft preview either Button or McKenzie described Schneider as "the most punishing hitter in his draft class", and looking back at old scouting reports now they pretty much all highlight him being a defender who throws heavy hits.

I know he's had a few significant hits here and there and competes hard for the puck, but I couldn't shake the impression that he has more to his physical game than he's been displaying and I was wondering why that might be. Perhaps wanting to focus on other aspects of his game and trying to be steady/consistent defensively? I know he's a big guy but I didn't know if maybe he wasn't prepared yet to have to drop the gloves with seasoned NHL tough guys the first time he demolishes one of their teammates.

Tonight he reminded us what he's capable of and I hope we see more of these heavy, clean hits from him moving forward. Upping his physical game and physical presence for the playoffs would be awesome.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I remember people laughing at me in the summer when I said Schneider would be more valuable to this franchise than Nils bc the type of player he is can be so hard to find in this league today. Kid has such a bright future as a stalwart pain in the ass to play against. LOVED that pick
Respek

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Had anyone else previously been wondering if Schneider was holding back on his physical game in terms of throwing big hits? I had been thinking about this the past few weeks and debated posting about it.

I remember during a 2020 TSN draft preview either Button or McKenzie described Schneider as "the most punishing hitter in his draft class", and looking back at old scouting reports now they pretty much all highlight him being a defender who throws heavy hits.

I know he's had a few significant hits here and there and competes hard for the puck, but I couldn't shake the impression that he has more to his physical game than he's been displaying and I was wondering why that might be. Perhaps wanting to focus on other aspects of his game and trying to be steady/consistent defensively? I know he's a big guy but I didn't know if maybe he wasn't prepared yet to have to drop the gloves with seasoned NHL tough guys the first time he demolishes one of their teammates.

Tonight he reminded us what he's capable of and I hope we see more of these heavy, clean hits from him moving forward. Upping his physical game and physical presence for the playoffs would be awesome.
Look. At some point he was going to have to have his NHL trial by fire. Thank goodness it was against “The Devils”.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Schneider just ended Jimmy Vesey’s career.
Jimmy has the degree from Harvard. He will be OK. There was so much hype about Vesey. Teams were traveling to Boston to meet with him like it was the birth of baby Jesus. Come play for us Jimmy. You play in our top six. The Devils are his 5th NHL team in six NHL seasons.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need to move Lundkvist this summer. He isn't getting an opportunity here with Fox, Trouba and Schneider ahead of him on the depth chart. The Rangers selected Lundkvist in the first round in 2018. The Rangers traded for Fox and Trouba in 2019 and selected Schneider in the first round in 2020.

Nils can be valuable to the franchise in a trade. He is a very talented player.

I like Schneider over Lundkvist because Schneider is a bigger player. The Rangers already have a smallish RD in Fox. The Rangers also have Jones. He is also small D. Jones will play next season here because of the Rangers salary cap situation. The Rangers can't play with 3 small D.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
“To see a young guy step up like that and make a play like that, you feel the energy on the bench, for sure, it definitely set the tone,” said Chris Kreider, whose franchise record 25th power-play goal of the season and 47th overall would give the club a 2-1 lead late in the first period after Ryan Strome had tied it. “Guys were calling him, ‘Baby [Jacob] Trouba.’

“But that’s how he plays. He’s a hell of a kid, a joy to be around. He brings it every single day. He’s been a terrific addition to our team and he’s going to play for a very, very long time.”

A young guy giving the Rangers some spark. Imagine that.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
The Rangers just need to find a center like Schneider in the draft.
Would be nice to use Nils this summer. What about potentially resigning Copp for 2C and then swapping Nils for Turcotte for 3C? Then move Chytil to W and see if he does better.

Reactions: RagFinMet

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Jimmy has the degree from Harvard. He will be OK. There was so much hype about Vesey. Teams were traveling to Boston to meet with him like it was the birth of baby Jesus. Come play for us Jimmy. You play in our top six. The Devils are his 5th NHL team in six NHL seasons.

Rangers used Susan Sarandon and Liam Neeson to convince him to sign in NY.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005

100% he was focusing on positioning. Now it seems hes reading the game well enough and has a feel for the timing to be able to start lining guys up.

The clean hit he got thrown out of the game for in the WJC is what Ive been waiting for and last nights hit was almost a carbon copy. This is just the beginning.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The flattening of Boqvist and ass-kicking of Sharangovich were impressive on their own, but i loved Schneider's battle with Miles Wood in the corner later in the game. Wood took a run at him along the boards which he absorbed well, then as soon as he got the chance, Schneider crunched him back. Wood is a tough customer and it bodes well that at 20 Schneider has no fear of playing that game. Will be critical in the playoffs.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
How Nemeth gets playing time over him is truly a mystery. I understand the whole experience component, but Nemeth is horrendous in every aspect of the game. I can already see him stealing really valuable playoff time away from Schneider

Reactions: SchneidersPretzels

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
How Nemeth gets playing time over him is truly a mystery. I understand the whole experience component, but Nemeth is horrendous in every aspect of the game. I can already see him stealing really valuable playoff time away from Schneider

I think its just trying to keep Braun/Nemeth/Schneider all fresh for the playoffs. They are going to need all three and as good as Schneider's been, hes a 20 year old rookie. Dont want him gassed. Nemeth has also been mostly fine since the break IMO

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Would be nice to use Nils this summer. What about potentially resigning Copp for 2C and then swapping Nils for Turcotte for 3C? Then move Chytil to W and see if he does better.
Kings RHD depth:

Doughty
Durzi
Spence
Clarke
Faber
Grans

That whole list has top 4 potential.
Don’t see them targeting an RHD…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad