Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
even when he's making me cringe there's a lot in Schneider's overall package that I like. He's physical and not shy about it, looks to make plays and take shots in the offensive zone, pinches at good times, finds dead spots in coverage to shoot (look no further than his only two goals lol), and at least attempts to play a good transition game even though his passing is not quite there yet.

He has a lot of work to do on his coverage though. The Penguins were easily shaking him off multiple times in the offensive zone which isn't good since that big dumb f*** Nemeth doesn't exactly have the speed or skill to recover the puck.

Overall though I'm still pretty impressed.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
2-3 years from now the cap will be going up and Trouba is going nowhere
Well, he won't go in a cap shedding deal, but if Schneider and Miller continue to progress, and one of the other prospects (Lundquist, Jones, Robertson, Skinner, future pick) also pans out, he may go for a stud at a position of need. Or not. But we obviously will need to deal from strength to address weakness, though hopefully it's this off season, next year at the TDL, or next off season, depending on cap constraints.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Rangers were early to the party on Schneider being an untouchable. Some people laughed at him being off limits in an Eichel trade this summer but that clearly looks like it was a smart move. 20 years old and making big plays on both ends of the ice. Consistency is still an issue but hes 20 years old, imagine what him, Fox & Miller will be doing in 3 years?

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Rangers were early to the party on Schneider being an untouchable. Some people laughed at him being off limits in an Eichel trade this summer but that clearly looks like it was a smart move. 20 years old and making big plays on both ends of the ice. Consistency is still an issue but hes 20 years old, imagine what him, Fox & Miller will be doing in 3 years?

like the Girardi/Staal/McD era , but each component is better now than it was then (potentially).

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
like the Girardi/Staal/McD era , but each component is better now than it was then (potentially).

Schneider actually reminds me the most of Michael Sauer. Schneider is a Better skater, but 2 guys who could play great D and had good offensive instincts. One of the biggest what-ifs of the Lundqvist area to me is what happens if Sauer stays healthy through those runs. He was missed tremendously in 2012 specifically.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Still annoyed that there were posters on this board who were ok with Braun playing over him. Schneider has been great for us this year.

• Love

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
even when he's making me cringe there's a lot in Schneider's overall package that I like. He's physical and not shy about it, looks to make plays and take shots in the offensive zone, pinches at good times, finds dead spots in coverage to shoot (look no further than his only two goals lol), and at least attempts to play a good transition game even though his passing is not quite there yet.

He has a lot of work to do on his coverage though. The Penguins were easily shaking him off multiple times in the offensive zone which isn't good since that big dumb f*** Nemeth doesn't exactly have the speed or skill to recover the puck.

He makes you cringe? I mean he's a rookie and he's going to make some rookie mistakes, hardly anything to be cringing over, especially how fantastic he has been for the most part as a 20 year old.

OTGHockey

Mar 25, 2022
outsidethegarden.com
Still annoyed that there were posters on this board who were ok with Braun playing over him. Schneider has been great for us this year.

Well, he had a couple of rough games in Tampa and Carolina...and he's in his pro year in an unforgiving position. You've seen with Miller the growing pains, and you might lose a game or two as a result of those mistakes. As games grow more important, those mistakes can magnify.

I honestly thought that Gallant would go Braun over Schneider most of the rest of the way, but I'm happy to see not only that he put Schneider back in, but that Schneider seems to have reset a little bit after a couple of tough outings, and is continuing to look solid. I also think it hasn't been said enough, that he seems to provide some stability to Nemeth's game.

Still think Nemeth isn't worth the $2.5M, but at the moment I think he's the best option on 3rd pair left D...next year I would like to see something else tried (e.g. Jones or Robertson...or maybe an acquisition), but for now I think Schneider has helped Nemeth's play too.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
He makes you cringe? I mean he's a rookie and he's going to make some rookie mistakes, hardly anything to be cringing over, especially how fantastic he has been for the most part as a 20 year old.
well, maybe cringe wasn't the right word.

of course he's going to make mistakes. just that sometimes they're ugly

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Hope they put his locker right next to Trouba. I would think as soon as he stuck that he was. Same thing happened with Miller.

Potentially having three RHD where you feel comfortable rolling them out for 20 a night will be a big deal, especially when you can trust all three in their own end.

Not to mention, but his two goals have been pretty big goals. Amazing to have these picks bubbling up to the big club. He's the first of the next wave that will be hitting with Othmann and others not far behind.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019

Remember, KAM was also shaky in his own end his rookie season. Got to give these kids time to learn, fight through their weaknesses, etc.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Schneider had a tough game against TB before the deadline. He has better against Carolina on the next night. Drury traded a 3rd round pick in 2023 to rent Braun. The Rangers immediately scratch Schneider to play Braun. The Rangers were awful against the Devils. They were up 2-0 after the first period and they thought the game was over. They gave Braun one game. Schneider has played every game since then. Why did Drury trade for Braun? Schneider is making him look dumb. It's early. Maybe Braun gets another opportunity. Schneider should be given every opportunity to play in the playoffs. The dude isn't gaining experience without playing. He has shown that he can play.

Drury made the move because the Rangers have no one else on the right side. They have Hajek if Nemeth struggles. That's not saying much. Schneider can play. He should play. Even if he has a bad game.

TUQ

Mar 24, 2004
Schneider had a tough game against TB before the deadline. He has better against Carolina on the next night. Drury traded a 3rd round pick in 2023 to rent Braun. The Rangers immediately scratch Schneider to play Braun. The Rangers were awful against the Devils. They were up 2-0 after the first period and they thought the game was over. They gave Braun one game. Schneider has played every game since then. Why did Drury trade for Braun? Schneider is making him look dumb. It's early. Maybe Braun gets another opportunity. Schneider should be given every opportunity to play in the playoffs. The dude isn't gaining experience without playing. He has shown that he can play.

Drury made the move because the Rangers have no one else on the right side. They have Hajek if Nemeth struggles. That's not saying much. Schneider can play. He should play. Even if he has a bad game.

It is never a bad thing to have depth on defense in the playoffs.

Reactions: bhamill

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Probably injury depth. Nobody trusts Libor out there.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Probably injury depth. Nobody trusts Libor out there.
Exactly you can’t go into the playoffs without some backup. It wasn’t dumb, it was necessary. And considering the prices teams were playing the cost wasn’t bad.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It is never a bad thing to have depth on defense in the playoffs.
Unless Schneider is hurt or really struggling, Schneider should play over Braun. As soon as the Rangers traded for Braun, they made Schneider a healthy scratch. I remember watching the TB game. These guys are going to trade for a RHD because Schneider struggled in the TB game. Those guys on TB have made 10 year NHL D look bad against them. He was better in the Carolina game. Drury makes the Braun trade. Schneider was solid against the Penguins in two playoff atmosphere type of games.

Reactions: TUQ and bhamill

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Unless Schneider is hurt or really struggling, Schneider should play over Braun. As soon as the Rangers traded for Braun, they made Schneider a healthy scratch. I remember watching the TB game. These guys are going to trade for a RHD because Schneider struggled in the TB game. Those guys on TB have made 10 year NHL D look bad against them. He was better in the Carolina game. Drury makes the Braun trade. Schneider was solid against the Penguins in two playoff atmosphere type of games.
it makes 100% sense to sit someone to play the new acquisition. The fact that Braun is a righty means that they are going to sit a righty and we all know he's not coming in for Fox or Trouba.

1st game, let Braun play his natural side. next time he suits up, play him on the L with Schneider.

Much ado about nothing.

Now, if they put the kid on the shelf for a Nemeth-Braun pairing full time, that's a different issue. I don't think we are going to see that unless the kid spits the bit.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Injuries happen…..also young players can lose the thread so it’s good to have extra players if you need them. In the ‘94 playoffs Doug Lidster went in for Alex Karpovtsev who was struggling. Lidster hadn’t played in weeks. He was a vet with a lot of years though and almost immediately made a positive impact on the Rangers D and he made several key contributions to the Rangers Cup victory.

Not that I expect Schneider to struggle the way Karpovtsev did. He has been excellent so far. That said there are reasons you bring in a player like Braun even if you end up not using him much.

Reactions: Crease

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad