Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Fox and Schneider are both right handed shots, why would you have either play the left side?
When Lindgren goes he will be replaced by Robertson. Schneider will move up in the lineup when Trouba is moved in two years when his no movement clause becomes a 15 no trade clause. They have Jones and Lundkvist in the wings think 1 or both will be moved for a young center to play on the 2nd line. Although both are very good prospects dont think you can last a long playoff run with 3 smallish defenders.

Think Robertson's going to be a 3rd pair guy in his time with the NYR. I expect Miller to eventually pair with Fox, if Lindgren does go somewhere else. If Lindgren stays perhaps he ends up on 3rd pair stays and Robertson ends up moving.

Almost certain Jones starts out next season as 3rd pair LD, And at some point he becomes Trouba's partner. Until Trouba leaves when his NMC is up and Schneider takes his place.

Then for the longer term, as long as they all stay with the team I expect the pairs to be Miller - Fox, Jones - Schneider, Robertson/Lindgren - Whomever, unless one of Robertson or Lindgren can switch to RD. But the chances of ALL these guys being here at that point seems kind of slim. But Miller, Fox, Jones, Schneider to me have the best chance of sticking around and being the long term top 4.

And then Fox QBing PP1, with Jones QBing PP2 and Schneider sniping for one of the two PPs.

Lundkvist I do think is gone. Doubt they would keep him around just to "eventually" be the 3rd pair RD when Trouba leaves. Because Schneider now especially seems as locked in as it gets. And I do think Schneider has the ability to be the 2nd Dman on a PP. Or worst case scenario, Jones takes a nosedive and can't cut it and Schneider takes the PP2 role. But after seeing what Jones did in the A this year, think there's a good chance he ends up with that role, Unless they trade him, which I think would be stupid, because the team could definitely use a LD that can provide offense like he can. And having Fox and a guy like Jones driving your PPs seems ideal. Lundqvist I think will almost certainly be moved. But honestly, I think there's more of a chance Robertson gets traded eventually than Jones. Just don't see Jones getting moved and think he'll be given a full time role as long as he doesn't flounder in preseason come the fall. That 3rd pair LD seems all but his. And Robertson didn't have an amazing year in the A or anything. Definitely hasn't shown he's ready. While arguably Jones did and has.

But Schneider has been amazing. I think on most teams he'd be locked in for a future 1st pair RD role. Either way though, kids got it all. And I do think he'd make a terrific PP sniper/2nd D.

Last edited:
Reactions: ponzu4u

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The most amazing thing about Schneider in these playoffs is that we haven't been talking about him. And I mean that in a good way. You wouldn't know he's a rookie with only 43 games of regular season experience.

The defense is really shaping up. Fox is Fox. This has been Trouba's best year and people are really seeing the value he brings in the playoffs. The same goes for Lindgren, and not just as a sidekick to Fox. Miller's game continues to grow and Schneider is giving us solid minutes. Even Braun is playing pretty well. I could see him coming back on a cheap contract to be the 6/7 dman next year, assuming we can dump Nemeth.

Long term one of Jones or Robertson can hopefully fill the 3LD spot.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I have no issues with Schneider. I think he’s on the right track. But he is going to need to add some offense to his game eventually.
I think he is trying to join the rush more, which is good.
Just saying that, these days, defensemen can’t really specialize on just defense and expect to be in the Top Four.
Schneider should be watching Ryan Lindgren who has done a great job adding offense to his game. Lindgren isn’t a huge threat to score but he goes to the net, he can take a second pass to gain the zone. The defense has to mark him, and that’s a big help. Schneider should at least provide that to the attack.
And I think he will. Just a thought.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I have no issues with Schneider. I think he’s on the right track. But he is going to need to add some offense to his game eventually.
Just saying that, these days, defensemen can’t really specialize on just defense and expect to be in the Top Four.
Schneider should be watching Ryan Lindgren who has done a great job adding offense to his game. Lindgren isn’t a huge threat to score but he goes to the net, he can take a second pass to gain the zone. The defense has to mark him, and that’s a big help. Schneider should at least provide that to the attack.
Meh. Schneider seems to create disasters every time he goes deep on offense or tries to pinch to keep plays alive.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I agree with this but I'd like to see him actually defend first

Right now he's a bit of a liability which is understandable at this point

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I agree with this but I'd like to see him actually defend first

Right now he's a bit of a liability which is understandable at this point
Yeah. Just talking long term. I am hoping he evolves into a bigger version of Lindgren, at this point. Is that a fair expectation?

Reactions: Riche16

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Lots of people promote their fave kids on the team, and I'm firmly in the Schneider camp. I've watched him in junior and we're not close to his potential. He's got lots of growth. If you look at his Team Canada highlights - he's far from what he can be IMO.

This kid can be a wrecking ball and junkyard dog in front of the net. To me, think Trouba physicality but faster and better offensively. (please don't take that as a slight on Trouba - love his game!!) He has strong leadership skills.

Look, I rarely put myself out like that on a player - but I really think this kid will be a big part of our future. He is a kid I would like to see pushed up to mid pair somehow (even temporarily) and get with a higher grade D partner.

I know there's people that will disagree, but that's my opinion.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Lots of people promote their fave kids on the team, and I'm firmly in the Schneider camp. I've watched him in junior and we're not close to his potential. He's got lots of growth. If you look at his Team Canada highlights - he's far from what he can be IMO.

This kid can be a wrecking ball and junkyard dog in front of the net. To me, think Trouba physicality but faster and better offensively. (please don't take that as a slight on Trouba - love his game!!) He has strong leadership skills.

Look, I rarely put myself out like that on a player - but I really think this kid will be a big part of our future. He is a kid I would like to see pushed up to mid pair somehow (even temporarily) and get with a higher grade D partner.

Love it. Would you say ‘bigger Lindgren’ is selling him short?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Yeah. Just talking long term. I am hoping he evolves into a bigger version of Lindgren, at this point. Is that a fair expectation?
Lindgren is a great example

He's not an offensive d-man and wasn't groomed to be

But he's a good skater and has a brain... playing with Foxy... he clearly has learned some shit. Time and space matter.

Schneider HAS to learn the time / space deal defensively and then the O-side will come

Right now he has a little from column A & B

He needs one or the other fully before we expect both

Love this post

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I still see a lot of upside with Schneider, especially if he can be paired with someone who's strong defensively. He started the season awfully, but has picked it up the last 3 weeks or so noticeably.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He’s a 21 year old defenseman having his ups and downs in his second NHL season. Eventually the ups will be higher and more extended and the downs will diminish. It’s normal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Guhle was also rumored to be a person nyr wanted and when edge shared that he got crucified about it as all the stat scouts here hated guhle. Guhle has been an abbreviation, most teams wish they had a 21 year old d men that could play regularly in the NHL. Schneider is absolutely fine.

Was always dumb (the Guhle hate that is)

Hes like... maybe by 2nd favorite young D/prospect that just broke into the league behind Sanderson. Guys with that length/feet are almost always a lock to at least be pretty good and have the potential to be great.

Reactions: bleedblue94

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
94 MPH one time bomb tonight off the Panarin drop pass. Why can’t MSG show shot speed? Because we’re original six and above that? So dumb. YES network was like the last MLB broadcast to show the strike zone box too because Yankees fans already know the strike zone of course *sniff*. Old NY sports teams can be so snobby.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
94 MPH one time bomb tonight off the Panarin drop pass. Why can’t MSG show shot speed? Because we’re original six and above that? So dumb. YES network was like the last MLB broadcast to show the strike zone box too because Yankees fans already know the strike zone of course *sniff*. Old NY sports teams can be so snobby.
Always liked shot speed on a hockey telecast. I think there's a fine line betwen useful numbers and stupid numbers (ESPN is the worst at this...look guys, so and so skated 4.1 miles today!), but shot speed absolutely is useful.

Re: YES network and Yankees, I think my biggest issues were not showing the radar gun live at the games until a few years ago (made watching games in person better when you could appreciate the pitches from the nosebleeds cuz no way could I afford that new mausoleum they built - I miss the old place terribly). 2nd biggest issue was that YES's radar gun was dfferent than everyone else's in the league, so it always made it look like people weren't throwing as hard (something about where it took the speed measurement).

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He's getting better and better with each passing game. As decent as Hajek has looked, we need to find a more reliable partner for him if the Rangers are at all serious about making the postseason (and actually getting past the first round)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not convinced that either Jones or Robertson are long term solutions on our LD. It didn't shock me that the Rangers sent Zac down. He had both his points in one game and was 0 for 15 in the other games he played. He's not great in the defensive zone and Hajek has been steadier there. Robertson so far hasn't been great in Hartford either.

I'm kind of thinking the Rangers go with their top 5 next year and maybe target a cheaper free agent veteran LD going into 23-24.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad