Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Passing Trouba as we speak.

Which I was told by people who don't really know what they are talking about was impossible.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I still think Schneider's NHL D is not nearly good enough but he's progressing very well with his play with the puck and offensive instincts

Feels like a faster Trouba in a lot of ways

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I still think Schneider's NHL D is not nearly good enough

This will come with time.

Like outside of a very select few, no nhl defenseman his age is good defensively.

It isn’t hard to see him turning into a seabrook type of defenseman, he was pretty good before the miles took their toll.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
He has a great argument for being the worst defenseman in the NHL this year.

Rock bottom in every metric right there with Benny Boo

I really want to like him but he's just a terrible defenseman right now and tbqh I'm not in the mood for patience with someone who routinely costs us games and goals and just does not have NHL level defensive skills. He's young but how do you recover from being literally a bottom 3 D in the entire league? He just can't defend at an NHL level, and it's reflected in that he takes a lot of hits (4th in the league in hits received) and he plays bottom pair minutes!!!

Don't blame Harpur either (who's fcking dreadful beyond words). Schneider sucks with literally everyone. He's the problem on his pair.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

I really want to like him but he's just a terrible defenseman right now and tbqh I'm not in the mood for patience with someone who routinely costs us games and goals and just does not have NHL level defensive skills. He's young but how do you recover from being literally a bottom 3 D in the entire league? He just can't defend at an NHL level, and it's reflected in that he takes a lot of hits (4th in the league in hits received) and he plays bottom pair minutes!!!

Don't blame Harpur either (who's fcking dreadful beyond words). Schneider sucks with literally everyone. He's the problem on his pair.
I'm not a Schneider booster. But he's been stuck with some wretched partners. Do you have stats for him broken out by who he's playing with?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'm not a Schneider booster. But he's been stuck with some wretched partners. Do you have stats for him broken out by who he's playing with?
Here you go - sucks with literally everyone (though I agree a lot of his regular partners are dreadful)

Harpur:
1680617200569.png

Mikkola:
1680617237389.png

Jones:
1680617258373.png

Hajek:
1680617289351.png

Miller:
1680617321697.png

Lindgren:
1680617347949.png

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
He certainly had a backslide year. I think a LOT of it IS who he is partnered with a lion's share of the time. I don't think that's a myth at all... but yeah HE has also been shitty, the two things aren't mutually exclusive. His numbers would CERTAINLY be better if he wasn't stapled to Harpur so much, but they still wouldn't be good. Most dmen as young as him don't go from trying to do too much and cover more ground for defensively compromised partners to being smooth and confident when you get paired with a decent one. In fact most dmen as young as him haven't made the NHL yet. Kid is still only 21. We saw last year what he can do, and in spurts this year. He gets a nice run of games with a reliable NHL level partner and I think his game comes back.
And no this isn't a defense of his play this year, or an excuse, he's played badly, but it's not because he is unable to play better. He's another guy who can benefit from a good off season program.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC

Agree. His failed zone exits are off the charts, and he gets hit while doing it. Is he holding onto the puck too long or not skating enough to find his wingers?
Player Cards.png

Compared to last year:
Player Cards (2).png

He also led the team is failed exits/60 last postseason
ru761qu.png

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here you go - sucks with literally everyone (though I agree a lot of his regular partners are dreadful)

Harpur:
View attachment 681359

Mikkola:
View attachment 681360

Jones:
View attachment 681361

Hajek:
View attachment 681362

Miller:
View attachment 681363

Lindgren:
View attachment 681364

Aren't these numbers a bit disingenuous though? Schneider is by far the teams worst RD. But the other two guys are Trouba and Fox. When looking at how his partners fair with him versus not with him, don't we also need to take into account that the baseline or other options are very good? That would skew the other numbers quite a bit towards the other players looking better when paired with other players.

For example, what do we think a pairing of Hajek-Harpur would look like? Better than Hajek-Schneider or Harpur-Schneider?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Hasn't been turning heads this season, except hat goal-scoring streak, but he gets way too much hate these past months.

So young still.

Reactions: bl02

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If we had any form of structure it would benefit him on breakouts, as it would all defensemen.

I mean it's as bad as you need to be a Gigabrain like Fox to compute your way out or a Giga-athlete like KAM to skate your way out.

THAT IS NOT A FUNCTIONAL SYSTEM. It's built on individual efforts that are the exceptions, not the rule.

We need an overhaul in the summer. Both assistants need more help or to be replaced

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Yeah but his xCU/60 is among the highest in the league, I imagine.
What exactly does that mean statwise?

Hasn't been turning heads this season, except hat goal-scoring streak, but he gets way too much hate these past months.

So young still.
What I notice about him is handling the puck. It pops off his stick way too much for a young athletic guy with a very, very good shot.
He has the hands of Ben Harper.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Aren't these numbers a bit disingenuous though? Schneider is by far the teams worst RD. But the other two guys are Trouba and Fox. When looking at how his partners fair with him versus not with him, don't we also need to take into account that the baseline or other options are very good? That would skew the other numbers quite a bit towards the other players looking better when paired with other players.

For example, what do we think a pairing of Hajek-Harpur would look like? Better than Hajek-Schneider or Harpur-Schneider?
i'd buy that if he wasn't the worst defenseman in the league this year. Trouba isn't very statistically strong either (but by no means bad).

i'm not saying they definitively prove Schneider sucks with everybody, but he's made even the worst defensemen even worse (peep Harpur's numbers away from Schneider) and I have no reason to believe that's not an accurate picture.

there's also the fact that he's this bad with bottom pair minutes. this isn't Girardi struggling with top pair minutes or KAM having a hard time with top 4 minutes. he's playing weak ass minutes and still getting obliterated.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

So young still.
young forwards get passes because they don't have that much game to game impact. young defensemen can usually survive if they have plus skills to work with (Miller is a glistening example of this). Schneider puts the team on a 5 on 5 penalty kill whenever he's on the ice and we're going to get blitzed with him on the ice in the playoffs. Teams know he sucks, that's why it's always dumped in his corner.

Screaming weaknesses like this hurt teams with cup aspirations. Having no bad players is arguably as important as having good players. Schneider on the ice is a gaping hole that tilts the ice towards us by just existing.

Frankly he doesn't get nearly enough critique IMO. If he wasn't mildly physical this board would've nailed him to a tree and then sent the tree into a volcano.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
i'd buy that if he wasn't the worst defenseman in the league this year. Trouba isn't very statistically strong either (but by no means bad).

i'm not saying they definitively prove Schneider sucks with everybody, but he's made even the worst defensemen even worse (peep Harpur's numbers away from Schneider) and I have no reason to believe that's not an accurate picture.

there's also the fact that he's this bad with bottom pair minutes. this isn't Girardi struggling with top pair minutes or KAM having a hard time with top 4 minutes. he's playing weak ass minutes and still getting obliterated.

May I ask who else Harpur has played with to generate those numbers away from Schneider? It's an awfully small sample too, about 3.5 minutes per game?

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
May I ask who else Harpur has played with to generate those numbers away from Schneider? It's an awfully small sample too, about 3.5 minutes per game?
oh for sure none of this is to say they're all good samples but you got to work with what you have

keep in mind those minutes likely came in bursts like the LA game or in one-two shifts after a special teams moment

and likely Fox and Trouba:

1680621251331.png

1680621291393.png

Reactions: NYR Viper

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The Kids are playing well, so now it's time to turn our guns on another 21 year old. Never change HFNYR

The other kids are at least good at some things.

I have yet to see anybody defend Schneider without bringing up age and only age.

That was fine last year. The team traded for Kane and Tarasenko and are clearly in a Hail Mary for the Cup. If he's not good enough to be in the lineup now, then he's not good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad