Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I don't do fancy stats but it seems like Miller gives the puck up and makes poor decisions way more than Schneider does. Maybe it's all in my head, maybe it's because Miller flashes more offensive upside or will take the puck coast to coast once in a while and that's enough for people, I don't know. But I do know I yell at the TV more when Miller is on the ice than when Schneider is.
Probably because when Millers on the ice so is Trouba

• Haha
Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Of course Miller gives the puck up more. The Rangers never have it when Schneider is out there.
this isn't even true lol Schneider is literally bottom of the league in controlled exits and puck retrievals. he turns it over more often than he doesn't!

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
We can go back and forth on the charts and whether they should be gospel. I use the charts because with all due respect, if you think Schneider plays well in the defensive zone, we're fundamentally not seeing the same thing. That's fine. It's all opinion anyway. So I trust the stats more than people.

You're right that there's a huge element on this board (and always has been) of people who are toxic towards the Rangers. The moderator team does the best they can with that. That being said, I've seen a lot better players have fewer defenders than this guy does. I think he's very far, save for the 2 or 3 of the board's prominent analytics people, from a maligned player on here.

You don't bother me at all. I enjoy most of your contributions. You know what bothers me? Reading the same few comments about Chris Kreider EVERY f***ing GDT. He's 32 this month. If you don't like the player he is by now, just can it already. To that point, if a bus ran over Panarin, you would get out and see if the bus is ok. Tell me I'm wrong.

Point is, we all have guys we blame. We're all guilty of looking for a reason if the team should fail. We're all human. I look at the numbers because I try to at least be as subjective as I can when evaluating what we have.

He's 21, but that turns into 22, and that turns into 23. He has to be better if he's going to be a penciled-in regular long-term.

Schneider has not been great this year, but I need to see him with an NHL caliber partner for an extended stretch before I can definitively say he's the problem. If he hasn't progressed by the time he needs a new contract, you can bet my tune will change, because that's the great equalizer and I've kept the same opinion with all the kids.

And no one is happier than I that Panarin has shut me up. He's the best player on the team and it's nice to see that he is finally consistently playing that way. I'm not an expert, I'm just a fan. I call out players when I see fit and when they deserve credit I give it to them.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Schneider has not been great this year, but I need to see him with an NHL caliber partner for an extended stretch before I can definitively say he's the problem. If he hasn't progressed by the time he needs a new contract, you can bet my tune will change, because that's the great equalizer and I've kept the same opinion with all the kids.

And no one is happier than I that Panarin has shut me up. He's the best player on the team and it's nice to see that he is finally consistently playing that way. I'm not an expert, I'm just a fan. I call out players when I see fit and when they deserve credit I give it to them.
I believe you. Even I don't agree with a particular assessment, I know you don't have an agenda.

I don't either. I hope he wins the Conn Smythe and I'll remind you every day of the summer that I'm an ass if he does.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It'll just be boring ass Igor and nobody gets to razz anybody. :(

You know who we all getting if Zibanejad does it.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
this isn't even true lol Schneider is literally bottom of the league in controlled exits and puck retrievals. he turns it over more often than he doesn't!
Exactly. Schneider is terrible at moving the puck under pressure, and when he's under pressure rather than moving the puck and taking the hit, he protects the puck and takes it to the end boards which is a great way to get pinned in the D zone.

Reactions: The Gloaming

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Great game by him tonight. Crazy he is only 21. Defensemen normally take a few years in the NHL to really hit their stride, he's going to be a rock for us for a long long time.

edit - wow I totally forget that he only played 26 games in the AHL? Crazy he made the jump to the NHL so quickly.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like our defense group a lot more this year. Both Schneider and Mikkola are a very good bottom pair. Both know how to defend, have size, can skate, play physical and it's really what we need from a bottom pair in the playoffs. Opponents really have to work very hard to score against them. Not everything is goals for......goals against is at least equally as important. The Rangers have guys who can score. If we defend well we should win 90% of the time.

Schneider is pretty good as a fighter too. The bout with McLeod was for real. Braden doesn't take a lot of penalties but he knows when it's time to go and he doesn't hold back.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He really is Baby Trouba.

He can really throw them and I think he's a lot stronger than he looks. I know he's a gym rat... Add some boxing classes while we're at it

Reactions: Cmox

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He really is Baby Trouba.

He can really throw them and I think he's a lot stronger than he looks. I know he's a gym rat... Add some boxing classes while we're at it

He's at his best when he is aggressive and Mikkola really allows for him to be that player. He has the ability to throw some pretty hard hits and for a kid at only 21, he is man strong already.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He stunned McLeod with a right and followed up with another one that grazed him.

If he caught him again McLeod was going to sleep.
That one that caught McLeod on the back of the head really hurt. You could see McLeod rubbing it in the box repeatedly and checking for blood.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Stupid decision to fight and throw punches like that. If he breaks a hand with that nonsense than it's Ben Harpur time for the rest of the playoffs.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'd rather a kid who needs to be reigned in than vica versa. He stood up for himself. Good for him

I'd rather he not risk injury with 6 minutes left in a blowout. They weren't even grappling. They were going back and forth throwing actual punches at each other.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Stupid decision to fight and throw punches like that. If he breaks a hand with that nonsense than it's Ben Harpur time for the rest of the playoffs.

He didn't have much choice. McLeod was first with his gloves off and attacking him. What's he supposed to do---let this guy use him like a speedbag? As well Kane talked about it afterwards that the team held together towards the end of game when the Devils decided to let their frustrations surface. You can't let the other team just push you around.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Things happen fast, not sure there was enough time for him to think about the possibility of Ben Harpur in the lineup Saturday night.

Reactions: The Gloaming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad