Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Schneider is good at it but he defends himself more than anything else. It's not like he's looking for it. I think he knows when he really clobbers someone with an open ice hit that like Trouba it might be coming. Open ice hits though are very much part of the game.

McLeod can fight too. He doesn't fight a lot either but he's more the type of player who will look for it than Schneider. As far as the fight itself they were both really throwing. Not like a lot of the grab and holds and maybe a noogie or two and wait for the linesmen to separate us things. The 80's, 90's, 2000's there were lots of fights like this. Players like Reaves, Lucic, MacDermid would do alright back then but maybe not be among the best. I liked it then but it's different now and it's okay with me that it's different. The NHL promoted all that and then turn their back on all the guys that wound up with concussion issues which is disgraceful on the league's part.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
He's been pretty great these first two games. He was mostly pretty good against Carolina and Tampa last year too.

Guess he's also saving it for the POs lol

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Anyone with impressions of Braden’s skating? My impression has been that he moves around pretty well out there, and it was his head more than his feet that was still adjusting to the pace of the NHL game, but you folks have watched him a lot more than I have.

Especially helpful would be links to video showing how effectively he gets around - gap control, pivots, setting up breakouts. Hard to find iso on a (mostly) defensive defender.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Reactions: bleedblue94

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Anyone with impressions of Braden’s skating? My impression has been that he moves around pretty well out there, and it was his head more than his feet that was still adjusting to the pace of the NHL game, but you folks have watched him a lot more than I have.

Especially helpful would be links to video showing how effectively he gets around - gap control, pivots, setting up breakouts. Hard to find iso on a (mostly) defensive defender.

this is his first season with coaching, so jury is still out.

His is a gym rat though and extremely dedicated to improving.

Reactions: bleedblue94

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think Schneids potential is still quite high. He’s like Lindgren/Trouba hybrid and super young. He can definitely be a mid-pair or compliment to a star D and potentially put up anything from 25-45 points while being physical and tough to play against. And with his age, he can potentially grow beyond warts that guys like Trouba have. He’s a good young defender that I’m happy to have.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Very accurate assessment. I see him becoming a prime Dan Girardi type player with a little more grit in his peak. Not worried about Braden at all. Not ruling out become a top pair D one day at all.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think Schneids potential is still quite high. He’s like Lindgren/Trouba hybrid and super young. He can definitely be a mid-pair or compliment to a star D and potentially put up anything from 25-45 points while being physical and tough to play against. And with his age, he can potentially grow beyond warts that guys like Trouba have. He’s a good young defender that I’m happy to have.

I think pairing him with a veteran puck mover will really help his game. He needs to keep things simple and he needs to NOT be the relief valve for a partner he has to drag around every night.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Also I think the interview he did recently talking about adjusting to the lock scheme that the team is using now was interesting. He's trying to adjust from being told to go go go and pressure to a more methodical game. I think that was revealing as to why he would appear to have brain farts on games last year if he was constantly instructed to run around a pressure all the time. Sounded like the scheme was pressure the other team into chaos which would explain why better/skilled teams would pick us apart due to the lack of a cohesive d structure. The fact he openly acknowledged an adjustment to using a lock system was enlightening.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Also I think the interview he did recently talking about adjusting to the lock scheme that the team is using now was interesting. He's trying to adjust from being told to go go go and pressure to a more methodical game. I think that was revealing as to why he would appear to have brain farts on games last year if he was constantly instructed to run around a pressure all the time. Sounded like the scheme was pressure the other team into chaos which would explain why better/skilled teams would pick us apart due to the lack of a cohesive d structure. The fact he openly acknowledged an adjustment to using a lock system was enlightening.

Really interesting and infuriating. No wonder fox looked like shit defensively too sometimes. These guys were being forced to abandon their hockey sense and it totally was not working sometimes (see our series losses the past two playoffs).

Sky freaking high on Schneids. Just turned 22. Still a baby. A terrifying baby. Sneaky good goal scorer too, would love to see him continue to work on finding lanes and getting a good shot off. He's better than Lindgren and Girardi offensively already imo. And faster than those two. Kids going to be such a player.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I never really worried about Schneider's game, since the day he was drafted.

Look, hes got 124 games and another 27 in the postseason and he just turned 22. He's had his moments but never a stretch that made you question if he should be sent down. He's got size, skill and leadership. He'll be around for a while

I think we will see him take a nice leap this year and next.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

It seems like sometimes his pivots get him burned. When there's good gap control he seems fine, but if he's thinking about a hit and changes his mind, he doesn't transition well to go the other way. When player go one way and change lanes on him he seems to lose them.

Reactions: CLW

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I never really worried about Schneider's game, since the day he was drafted.

Look, hes got 124 games and another 27 in the postseason and he just turned 22. He's had his moments but never a stretch that made you question if he should be sent down. He's got size, skill and leadership. He'll be around for a while

I think we will see him take a nice leap this year and next.
They call him Baby Trouba for a reason ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad