Player Discussion Braden Schneider

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Not convinced that either Jones or Robertson are long term solutions on our LD. It didn't shock me that the Rangers sent Zac down. He had both his points in one game and was 0 for 15 in the other games he played. He's not great in the defensive zone and Hajek has been steadier there. Robertson so far hasn't been great in Hartford either.

I'm kind of thinking the Rangers go with their top 5 next year and maybe target a cheaper free agent veteran LD going into 23-24.
I know this is stil an unpopular opinion, but I'm really not impressed with Jones at all. His offense just isn't that good, and doesn't translate to the NHL.

IMO, he's another in a long line of college defensemen who put up good totals against inferior competition whose offense doesn't translate. Mike Mottau, Thomas Pock, Matt Gilroy come to mind.

I mean, can he wind up over his shoulder and take a 90+ MPH slap shot? Every time he shoots it's a wrister or snapper from the point. His feet are slow. He's a decent passer, but he's not fast, and he doesn't have fast feet like Fox does to add deception to his game. And his defense is bad. Maybe the AHL can do him some good, but to be honest, I don't see the potential at all with him. I mean, I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see it.

I'm no Hajek fan either. He's played better defensively and been more physical, but he doesn't offer nearly enough on outlet passes/breakouts, nor in the offensive zone. That spot is a black hole.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I know this is stil an unpopular opinion, but I'm really not impressed with Jones at all. His offense just isn't that good, and doesn't translate to the NHL.

IMO, he's another in a long line of college defensemen who put up good totals against inferior competition whose offense doesn't translate. Mike Mottau, Thomas Pock, Matt Gilroy come to mind.

I mean, can he wind up over his shoulder and take a 90+ MPH slap shot? Every time he shoots it's a wrister or snapper from the point. His feet are slow. He's a decent passer, but he's not fast, and he doesn't have fast feet like Fox does to add deception to his game. And his defense is bad. Maybe the AHL can do him some good, but to be honest, I don't see the potential at all with him. I mean, I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't see it.

I'm no Hajek fan either. He's played better defensively and been more physical, but he doesn't offer nearly enough on outlet passes/breakouts, nor in the offensive zone. That spot is a black hole.

Yeah, I'm nearly ready to give up on Jones. If you look at the really undersized offensive d-men in the league they are all either torpedo's or have elite vision/puck handling skills. Jones skating is just OK and his vision/puck handling skills are at minimum a tier or two below his counterparts. I'm sure there is at least one team out there that would proffer him a spot but I just don't see where he fits in here, unfortunately. Which sucks since he seems like a good dude with a good attitude.

Lunkdvist to me has the same deficiencies but has managed to cement a spot on a pretty good team so not all is lost.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Getting back to Schneider, Gallant had some great things to say on him today and provided a glimpse of who he is as a player/person off the ice. Definitely gets it from his upbringing and humble parents.

I think this kid will be a big part of our future, hope he's with us for a long time.

(I think I have this set to start right before he starts talkin)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I thought Jones was much more impressive in his previous cups of coffee. My sense is that they have him working on some things this year, which has limited his offensive game. At least that’s my story, until proven otherwise.

There is an argument to be made that he has been our second best dman this season
I think Lindgren has been the second best defenseman this year. Schneider and Miller have been very good lately though.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Schneider reminds me of a young Girardi with more mobility. The play where he blasted Lomberg then took the puck up ice was very impressive.

Fox-Miller
Schneider-Lindgren

should be the eventually end game for our D-core

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
He was a beast on that play blocking a shot, skating the puck up, muscling the defender down deep, and dishing to kakko for the zibby setup.
Braden should have had 2 assists on that play, along with 1 assist for Zib to go with his goal and 2 assists for Kakko.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Already a better D-man than the Captain.
If we end up somehow losing this kid because of him being blocked from the top 4, or even worse yet...... we cannot unload Trouba at some point, (and the cap becoming MORE of an issue) then I am going to toss my cookies.
I mean, yes way back when we NEEDED a defenseman similar to Trouba, but oooh that price tag, and worse off is his contract length. This is going to be a Staal/Girardi thing all over again and may lose some key YOUNG players in the interim. Shoot me now!

Reactions: Unpredictable1

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Mayfield was given alllll kinds of credit for facilitating DeAngelo and Fox's growth. Why not with Schneider?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad