Brad Marchand - New Captain of the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Excellent move - his personal growth and success is a reminder of mine and many of my friends kids (many boys and girls hockey players and captains) who we wanted to ring their necks every now and then for questionable behavior/decisions - only to see them turn out amazing young people

As someone who’s been around that team since the 60’s and watched Brad as far back as 2008 land in Providence/ he has come a long long way

Congrats to him and his parents as well as the Bruins staff

The guy who had 20 games in with 0 goals and 1 assist and kinda bratty has grown into a world class player and person

I’m assuming the competition is all in a huff but that’s how the ignorant roll in the present world

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
From the way we see him conducts himself on the ice, this seems like a poor choice. We don't see how he behaves with his team though

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Too bad. Was hoping the Bruins might consider moving him if they struggle this year.
When does a Penguins fan: A - give a shit about Marchand being Bruins captain - B - hoping he’ll be moved if struggles

You must be living the dream if you have time to worry about this stuff

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
When does a Penguins fan: A - give a shit about Marchand being Bruins captain - B - hoping he’ll be moved if struggles

You must be living the dream if you have time to worry about this stuff
Who's worried?

Eye towards the deadline ;)

Reactions: DKH

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
1x Stanley Cup
1x World Cup Gold
1x 100 point season
5x 80+ point seasons
6x PPG seasons
5x 30 goal seasons
3x Top 10 finishes
2x First Team All Star
2x Second Team All Star
3x Stanley Cup Finals
2x WJC Gold
6x Team leader in points

He holds significant Bruins records:
- Most OT goals in history
- Most shorthanded goals in history
- Most playoff elimination goals in history

He has been a consistently high level playoff performer and, barring injuries, will finish with over 1000 points and 400 goals.

Sounds like a HHOF resume to me.
Actually 4x Top 10 finishes.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I get the reaction from some fans of other teams. I really do.

However, consider this. Patrice Bergeron is undeniably one of the most respected players in recent history. Analysts, coaches, players, refs, league officials. You name it.

If you asked Patrice Bergeron what he thinks of Brad Marchand as a player, leader, Captain potential, and as a person? I think some of you would be disappointed in the answer (spoiler — it would be a very positive response). And if a player that universally respected — who knows Brad Marchand better than any of us by a country mile — gives him the nod, I think that has to count for a lot. If you’re being objective, that is.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Come into NHL expected to be decent bottom 6 guy.

Finish NHL career as top 5 LW and Captain your team.

iu

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I can see why they did it...but still...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Such an exemplary model citizen. Never controversial for rat-like behavior ever.

Makes it easier to really stoke those fires of Bruins hate that had kind of gone a bit cold in recent years.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I can see why they did it...but still...:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Such an exemplary model citizen. Never controversial for rat-like behavior ever.

Makes it easier to really stoke those fires of Bruins hate that had kind of gone a bit cold in recent years.

I can give you a list of rat like players who have done worse, much much worse and still named captain.

He's not that player anymore.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
From the way we see him conducts himself on the ice, this seems like a poor choice. We don't see how he behaves with his team though
He has conducted himself just fine on the ice the last 3 seasons. Shows up for big games , play offs, plays on the powerplay, PK , sticks up for team mates.
He could captian any team in the league with those qualities and skills.
The little ball of hate grew up. Those who don't think so have not been watching Bruins games.

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

May these gates never be closed
Apr 24, 2017
Congrats to one of the hardest workers on the ice, guy gives his all, every fan base would love him if they had him on their team.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Yeah but did you consider that he’s “cleaned up his act” and only slew foots/knees/bridges/licks someone once every couple of game instead of once every couple of shifts now?
Clearly you don't watch Bruins hockey as Brad has changed. He learned from Bergeron. He will always be feisty (and I hope that never changes) but he has grown into a leader both on and off the ice. He is an amazing player and is a blast to watch.

I go to almost all of the Bs home games (ST right next to the Bruins bench for 23 years) and have watched Brad change. He was always an amazing player but he is the leader on the Bruins. The players, coaches and guys in stripes listen when he speaks. I also know he "holds the room". I agree the licking was odd but he hasn't done it for years.

I went to Bruins camp at Warrior Arena Friday.

Brad was giving 100% (as always). He was also coaching the young players. Marchy will be an excellent captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad