Brad Marchand - New Captain of the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Yeah but did you consider that he’s “cleaned up his act” and only slew foots/knees/bridges/licks someone once every couple of game instead of once every couple of shifts now?
This has been an extremely respectful and largely balanced discussion of Marchand - with several non Bruins fans commenting positively and objectively.

And then we have a Moderator who posts hyperbolic silliness like this???? Almost like you want this thread to go down the toilet — like most/many Marchand threads do.

You need to be a lot better than this. And I’m talking orders of magnitude better.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I get the reaction from some fans of other teams. I really do.

However, consider this. Patrice Bergeron is undeniably one of the most respected players in recent history. Analysts, coaches, players, refs, league officials. You name it.

If you asked Patrice Bergeron what he thinks of Brad Marchand as a player, leader, Captain potential, and as a person? I think some of you would be disappointed in the answer (spoiler — it would be a very positive response). And if a player that universally respected — who knows Brad Marchand better than any of us by a country mile — gives him the nod, I think that has to count for a lot. If you’re being objective, that is.
The problem is the Canadian media bias has always and will always focus on the Bruins negative, they get a lot of clicks/views this way fueling the casual Canadian fans hatred towards the Bruins. 99.98% of the time they will omit the the instigation that caused the Bruins to retaliate, always trying to control the narrative, painting the Bruins as the enemy. You would be shocked how many times I've talked to casual Montreal/leaf fans that think Bergeron is one of the dirtiest players in the league..... think about that for a second.

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan and Number8

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Dude is a pylon out there when it counts.

Lol, tells us you don't know hockey w\o saying you don't know hockey. McAvoy
was a top 2 D man on a team that went to G7 SCF. He outplayed Jacob Slavin
in the '20 SCPO. So please cut your complete BS.

Care to tell us how your dogs named Morgan, Austin & Mitch have done? Lol

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
"nightly basis" lol

Howe was known for his elbows for sure. He also played his prime years back when the glass didn't even go all the way around the boards, goalies didn't wear masks, and players didn't wear helmets.

Using him as a reference point for a guy whose career started in 2010 may not be making the point you think it is.

Lol, an elbow in the 1950's is still an elbow in 2023.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Lol, tells us you don't know hockey w\o saying you don't know hockey. McAvoy
was a top 2 D man on a team that went to G7 SCF. He outplayed Jacob Slavin
in the '20 SCPO. So please cut your complete BS.

Care to tell us how your dogs named Morgan, Austin & Mitch have done? Lol

I take Rielly over any dman on the Bruins in the playoffs, no hesitation.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That could well be the case. Doesn’t mean they’ll believe him when he tries to argue a call.

But whatever, I’m actually one of the few Hab fans who actually likes and respects the guy. Got to hand it to him for being a small player who fights for every inch of ice he can get and throwing people off their games. Good for him.

Why the dislike of Gallagher as Captain? I'm a Bruins fan but see Gallagher cut from a similar mold as Marchand. Hate him against you, love him on your team.

I take Rielly over any dman on the Bruins in the playoffs, no hesitation.

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Lol, if Stevens played today he would have been suspended more than Marchand, Jesus Christ dude.
The vast majority of Stevens hits would still be legal under today's rules. Skates on the ice, elbows tucked, hitting solidly thru the body. Marchand is the most suspended player in NHL history.

Lol, an elbow in the 1950's is still an elbow in 2023.
If you're using the kind of play from 1950s hockey to defend a guy whose NHL career began in 2010, it's not making the point you think it is.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This silly assertion is repeated all the time and completely ignores the fact that stevens would have adjusted his play to whatever the current rules were.

Is there some type of parallel universe that you live in that you witnessed this happening?

No, didn't think so. I at least have video of Stevens cheap shots during his career.

You have pure conjecture based on an opinion or some parallel universe you need to tell us about.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The vast majority of Stevens hits would still be legal under today's rules. Skates on the ice, elbows tucked, hitting solidly thru the body. Marchand is the most suspended player in NHL history.

If you're using the kind of play from 1950s hockey to defend a guy whose NHL career began in 2010, it's not making the point you think it is.

Well, I hate to break the news to you, but Stevens probably had at least 700 hits in his career and if 98% were A ok, then 2% represents 14 suspendable hits which moves him past Marchand just a bit. Not too mention slew foots which I am sure Stevens had.

Wouldn't expect less from a Wings loving Marchand hater.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Well, I hate to break the news to you, but Stevens probably had at least 700 hits in his career and if 98% were A ok, then 2% represents 14 suspendable hits which moves him past Marchand just a bit. Not too mention slew foots which I am sure Stevens had.

Wouldn't expect less from a Wings loving Marchand hater.
Can't make a point without an ad hominem attack, eh?

I also love how you're using made up numbers to arrive at the conclusion he'd be suspended more than Marchand. lol

And for the record, I hated Stevens when he played. But people watch his top 10 hits on Youtube and think he went around hitting people like he did Lindros all the time. He was a clean but devastating hitter.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
View attachment 744546
The rat becoming the captain of that team makes me lose respect for them even more. Imagine going from a classy leader in Bergeron to someone with history of licking people and making dirty hits.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This has been an extremely respectful and largely balanced discussion of Marchand - with several non Bruins fans commenting positively and objectively.

And then we have a Moderator who posts hyperbolic silliness like this???? Almost like you want this thread to go down the toilet — like most/many Marchand threads do.

You need to be a lot better than this. And I’m talking orders of magnitude better.
Largely balanced or biased Bruins fans commenting positively? This is like Canucks making Burrows captain of Canucks and we all know how much Bruins fans think of him and Burrows is more classy compared to Marchand when comparing both league wide. Marchand doesn't have that good of a reputation around the league, just ask the Sedins who were sucker punched by him needlessly, Burrows who had encounters with him, Salo who was injured because of his slew foot or dirty tripping tactics. This just a long list of what his history is with Canucks who play in the west. Nevermind the rest of the league. Making Marchand the captain makes the Bruins team look like clown show and that's putting it lightly.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seems like the only choice that would make sense. HM to McAvoy who probably takes it when/if Marchand leaves?

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Largely balanced or biased Bruins fans commenting positively? This is like Canucks making Burrows captain of Canucks and we all know how much Bruins fans think of him and Burrows is more classy compared to Marchand when comparing both league wide. Marchand doesn't have that good of a reputation around the league, just ask the Sedins who were sucker punched by him needlessly, Burrows who had encounters with him, Salo who was injured because of his slew foot or dirty tripping tactics. This just a long list of what his history is with Canucks who play in the west. Nevermind the rest of the league. Making Marchand the captain makes the Bruins team look like clown show and that's putting it lightly.
Imagine if the NHL players actually had skin this thin.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I think many of us know the pain of being a fan of sports teams. Sometimes they can break your heart.

However, 2011 was 12 years ago. That amount of time probably represents a not insignificant percentage of your entire life. Think about that. Get some help or let it go. And I’m not being a smartass, either. Seriously, it’s not healthy man.

Reactions: Ladyfan and jgatie

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Is there some type of parallel universe that you live in that you witnessed this happening?

No, didn't think so. I at least have video of Stevens cheap shots during his career.

You have pure conjecture based on an opinion or some parallel universe you need to tell us about.
Stevens laid out a lot of guys with clean checks
Some dirty ones too. Play offs he took no prisoners.

I would take him on my team all day long. Then and now.

Didn't Burrows bite some one during thst series?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and Number8

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Can't make a point without an ad hominem attack, eh?
Him
I also love how you're using made up numbers to arrive at the conclusion he'd be suspended more than Marchand. lol

And for the record, I hated Stevens when he played. But people watch his top 10 hits on Youtube and think he went around hitting people like he did Lindros all the time. He was a clean but devastating hitter.

Made up numbers? I'm 99% sure Stevens had more than 700 hits in his career as a physical dman. So its perfectly reasonable to assume at least 2% of his hits
would be dirty and that being conservative so yeah, Stevens was every bit as dirty as Marchand.

Ad hominem? You're a Red Wing fan and you hate Marchand. That can't possibly
be an ad- hominem attack.

Stevens laid out a lot of guys with clean cheques.
Some dirty ones too. Play offs he took no prisoners.

I would take him on my team all day long. Then and now.

Didn't Burrows bite some one during thst series?

He bit Bergeron of all people!!!

I would take Stevens also but like I said March and wasn't any dirtier than Stevens
who was absolutely a head hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad