Brad Marchand - New Captain of the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Wow, the Bruins management group really should have checked with HFBoards before making this decision. Do they know that he licked a guy????????
Don't think it's just the lick, he sucker punches, makes dirty hits that take players out and other stupid antics that aren't captain like but sure, you guys will justify whatever he did because he is a Bruin. If he was a Canuck, becoming the captain you would change your tune real quick.

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Don't think it's just the lick, he sucker punches, makes dirty hits that take players out and other stupid antics that aren't captain like but sure, you guys will justify whatever he did because he is a Bruin. If he was a Canuck, becoming the captain you would change your tune real quick.
marchandpunch.gif

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

What makes you think a Bruins fan cares one fiddler's fig who the Canucks make their captain? That's so far down my list of concerns in this world, it's not even on the 100th page, never mind high enough to post dozens of posts about it on a forum.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He was. But at the same time 99+% of those hits were legal at the time. Should not have been, but they were.
Muhammad Ali used to punch opponents in the head.

So essentially Marchand gets graded on a tougher scale, which is part of my point.
Put Marchand in that era and some (obviously not all) of his antics are nothingburgers.

Reactions: Over the volcano

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Leaders over the last 10 years

Crosby 756games 893pts
Kane 781games 868pts
McDavid 569games 850pts
Ovechkin 794games 806pts
Tavares 786games 773pts
Marchand 774games 765pts

Not bad, considering he didn't become a PPG player until 2016-2017.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
So essentially Marchand gets graded on a tougher scale, which is part of my point.
Put Marchand in that era and some (obviously not all) of his antics are nothingburgers.
Not exactly. Back then Marchand would have essentially been mugged for his antics and the NHL would have done nothing about it. It wouldn't have been right, but that's what would have happened.

Of course, if Marchand happened to have been badly injured in a retaliatory attack that would be different. The NHL would have acted like they were appalled by the incident and issued a suspension commiserate with some small fraction of the time Marchand would likely be unavailable to play. Lower of course if it was playoffs even if it was playoff time Marchand would miss, and no consideration at all for the likelihood that the perpetrator had much less value to his team.

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Not exactly. Back then Marchand would have essentially been mugged for his antics and the NHL would have done nothing about it. It wouldn't have been right, but that's what would have happened.

Marchand is a lot tougher than people give him credit for. I've seen him run people over on hits completely legal and speed bag Lars Eller. Yeah he would have taken a few ass shipping back in Stevens era but not a doubt in my mind he would have soldiered on.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Why the dislike of Gallagher as Captain? I'm a Bruins fan but see Gallagher cut from a similar mold as Marchand. Hate him against you, love him on your team.

Okayyyyyyyyyyyy

I don’t have an any problem with Gallagher. But refs can’t stand him. He’s had a lot of goals called back for goalie interference that if scored by someone else would be allowed. He takes a lot of abuse and the refs don’t call it. They tell him to shut up.

My point is, you don’t want a captain who the refs dislike.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Wrong - Sedin ( or any other Canuck on the ice at the time ) not punching back was as gutless as it gets. :nod:
Sedins don't fight , takes some real toughness to rabbit punch them. Could have used some of that toughness against real tough opponents, not calling it dirty just gutless. He saves the dirty stuff for the guys he knows will answer

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
He did some stupid stuff when he was younger. This was years ago.

Ten years ago, I wouldn't have thought him captain material, but he is for sure now.

Last year he punched a goalie in the head and then swung his stick at the head. All because the goalie said "How a bout that ****ing save?"

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Punching a sedin is as gutless as it gets, did he try that in their choke vs Chicago ? I know he didn't try much against st louis as that physical thrashing is still fresh enough to remember. Bruins crying to the refs was a nice twist

Marchand has a Cup Ring, a legitmstely arguable HOF resume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad