Brad Marchand - New Captain of the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
From what I observed over the years, he routinely made extremely dirty plays and then would cower and hide behind Chara and the bigger Bruins players. He always made very stupid plays like licking people, I don't think I've ever seen a captain of a team lick another human being in the middle of a game like that. I'm sure the fans/players in the room respect him.

It's not ignorant, just telling you how he is viewed outside of Boston. He is one of, if not the best 2 way winger of his generation, I genuinely believe that. But his traits like his personality and character, he is a rat.

You do see the difference between Chara vs Bergeron vs Marchand when we're looking at their character traits right ?

Again I don't care really about who the B's name their captain, it doesn't effect me or my team at all. I'm just telling you why the rest of the league views this as a strange decision. But if you guys are happy with it, that's cool too.

I think there is on ice and off ice to consider here. Off ice, Marchand is one of the biggest workers out there. You don’t go from a third round agitator never mentioned on any prospect list to one of the best wingers without constantly putting the work in. He is well loved in the locker room and has spent his entire career in the Chara style locker room. He is active in the community and has spoken at length about the meaning that brings him. He is a perfect choice off the ice.

During the 60 mins of game play? Yeah he has done a lot of stupid shit. But honestly, I think the Bruins need more of that, not less. Their kindly turn the other cheek act didn’t serve them in the playoffs, that’s for sure.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
https://enewspaper.bostonherald.com/get_image.aspx?w=280&eid=a2b908fb-0818-4aaa-b6bb-7d8b68ccbffe&pnum=40&lm=63830884035940

https://epaper.bostonglobe.com/get_image.aspx?w=280&eid=3841c0df-e8b4-4c61-9550-58783c893c9b&pnum=19&lm=63830881877043

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The first two were arguably two of the most respected players of this generation, Marchand is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe a top 5 most hated player in the league.

I get why the Bruins gave him the C, he's been there forever and was a phenomenal player in his prime. But his personality and antics on the ice doesn't exactly scream leadership. I think McAvoy or Pastrnak would've been the ideal options, younger elite players who committed themselves to the team long term.

Again I get why they gave it to Marchand, I don't think it's the smartest choice but I understand it.

You are misinformed on Marchand if you believe he is not a leader.

It's a fitting choice. Looking at his career, he perfectly embodies what it means to be a Boston Bruin.

Indeed. Elite, HoF quality two way player who is very strong in the community and "Everyone Can Play" movement. Bruins have quite the franchise.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
I think there is on ice and off ice to consider here. Off ice, Marchand is one of the biggest workers out there. You don’t go from a third round agitator never mentioned on any prospect list to one of the best wingers without constantly putting the work in. He is well loved in the locker room and has spent his entire career in the Chara style locker room. He is active in the community and has spoken at length about the meaning that brings him. He is a perfect choice off the ice.

During the 60 mins of game play? Yeah he has done a lot of stupid shit. But honestly, I think the Bruins need more of that, not less. Their kindly turn the other cheek act didn’t serve them in the playoffs, that’s for sure.

Do do the Bruins need more of this?

Bruins’ Marchand gets away with elbow that drops Devils’ Johansson

Context: This was like Johansson's first back from missing a whole ton of time due to concussions.

This wasnt a hockey play. This was a behind the scenes viscous sneak attack on a player with concussion issues. He knew what he was doing because he tried to make it look incidental.

Unforgivable for me.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

Context: This was like Johansson's first back from missing a whole ton of time due to concussions.

This wasnt a hockey play. This was a behind the scenes viscous sneak attack on a player with concussion issues. He knew what he was doing because he tried to make it look incidental.

Unforgivable for me.
Yes, this was one of my most hated things he's done. Said it then, still say it. Along with the slewfoot against the Rangers into the boards (Brassard, i think?). Absolutely hated those plays.

That said, Johansson was added to the Bruins shortly after that incident, they became buddies and from what I gather Marchand apologized and they made amends.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

Unforgivable for me.

Pretending Marchand had the context in mind is above and beyond delusional. He elbowed a player, he did not seek out a specific player premeditated.... Marchand is no Tom Wilson in that regard.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I used an example of your captain taking a hilarious dive because you used that in your description of Marchand becoming a captain. It was an example. I don't need to bring up 2011 finals and rub it in the faces of Canuck fans.

You used whataboutery after I made a reasoned post here about why I don't think Marchand is a good choice for captain. I didn't bring up the 2011 playoffs or anything like that. Diving wasn't the only thing I mentioned. I also mentioned his inability to follow the rules by way of making dirty hits and receiving suspensions, and I mentioned his lack of respect for his opponents.

Then, you posted a video of the 2011 playoffs. You, not I. Now it's turned into me taking shit from numerous Bruins fans in here who fail to realize, or who don't want to admit, that it was one of their fellow fans that brought up 2011, not I.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
You used whataboutery after I made a reasoned post here about why I don't think Marchand is a good choice for captain. I didn't bring up the 2011 playoffs or anything like that. Diving wasn't the only thing I mentioned. I also mentioned his inability to follow the rules by way of making dirty hits and receiving suspensions, and I mentioned his lack of respect for his opponents.

Then, you posted a video of the 2011 playoffs. You, not I. Now it's turned into me taking shit from numerous Bruins fans in here who fail to realize, or who don't want to admit, that it was one of their fellow fans that brought up 2011, not I.

Bobby Clarke, Scott Stevens, Guy Carbonneau, Mark Messier, Chris Chelios, a relative whos who of all time shit birds, including the dirtiest hockey player who ever laced them up in Clarke. All of them wore a 'C'.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Bobby Clarke, Scott Stevens, Guy Carbonneau, Mark Messier, Chris Chelios, a relative whos who of all time shit birds, including the dirtiest hockey player who ever laced them up in Clarke. All of them wore a 'C'.

Please quote the proper post for context. You quoted the wrong one. I already mentioned Clarke in the post of mine I linked to in the post that you just quoted.

Damn, you Bruins fans are not on the ball lately.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
So we agree. Note that the Bruins themselves had Terry O'Reilly and Wayne Cashman as captains. Now O'Reilly wasn't known to be dirty, but he was no choir boy on the ice, was first in the stands at MSG, and punched out Andy Van Hellemond. And Cashman? He was certifiably insane. Both excellent captains.

And in all honesty, I don't think any of them rise to the level of douche baggery that Marchand has achieved. Even Mark Messier, whom I despise, is not on Marchand's level. Marchand has all the tools and is in a league of his own.

I'm not sure I have any more to say on this. I gave my best opinion already which I think you saw.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

Unforgivable for me.

Unfortunately Brad does a lot of non hockey plays especially in the playoffs. Like spearing guys in the nuts. Its just who he is and it will never change.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
And in all honesty, I don't think any of them rise to the level of douche baggery that Marchand has achieved. Even Mark Messier, whom I despise, is not on Marchand's level. Marchand has all the tools and is in a league of his own.

I'm not sure I have any more to say on this. I gave my best opinion already which I think you saw.

Cashman was an animal. An absolute animal. One night, Terry O'Reilly was actually protecting Tiger Williams because he was down on the ice and Cashman was trying to kick him with his skates. Imagine having to protect the NHL's all time goon from a skate in the face from your fellow player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad