Brad Marchand - New Captain of the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
People can say whatever they want about Brad. He deserves his share of criticism. But watching him as a kid here and then being benched by the Moose after being dealt by Val dor we all thought he’d never make it to the NHL. And all these years later here he is, bigger than life as the Bruins captain. That unexpected rise to the heights he’s reached speaks volumes about the guys dedication and work ethic. He earned it. And he’s liked by many more than want to admit it. This means we have zero plans to make him available at the deadline with a year left on his deal…
Good. Hope he retires a bruin.

The shit he did to marcus johannsen, and i say this with 100% honesty, has made it so i wouldnt take him on my team if he played for free.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
There's been a few posts in here saying the refs love him, including one linked article from an-ex referee.

That could well be the case. Doesn’t mean they’ll believe him when he tries to argue a call.

But whatever, I’m actually one of the few Hab fans who actually likes and respects the guy. Got to hand it to him for being a small player who fights for every inch of ice he can get and throwing people off their games. Good for him.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Don't see why this would be such a big deal. He's a veteran there, obviously very well liked and respected within the org itself, and was close to the former captain.

Yeah, he's done dirtbag things in the past, but so did many other guys like Messier, Pronger, Chelios, et cetera.

Also, who else are they going to name captain, neither Pastrnak or McAvoy can speak very good English.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Don't see why this would be such a big deal. He's a veteran there, obviously very well liked and respected within the org itself, and was close to the former captain.

Yeah, he's done dirtbag things in the past, but so did many other guys like Messier, Pronger, Chelios, et cetera.

Also, who else are they going to name captain, neither Pastrnak or McAvoy can speak very good English.

McAvoy is from Long Island NY, what makes you say his English isn't very good?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I'm confused.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The first two were arguably two of the most respected players of this generation, Marchand is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe a top 5 most hated player in the league.

I get why the Bruins gave him the C, he's been there forever and was a phenomenal player in his prime. But his personality and antics on the ice doesn't exactly scream leadership. I think McAvoy or Pastrnak would've been the ideal options, younger elite players who committed themselves to the team long term.

Again I get why they gave it to Marchand, I don't think it's the smartest choice but I understand it.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
There's your answer. Also, it was a joke.

Ahh, an attempt at humor. I missed it because McAvoy doesn't have the stereotypical L.I. accent. If he sounded like a male version of the Nanny, I guess it would be funny.

The first two were arguably two of the most respected players of this generation, Marchand is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Maybe a top 5 most hated player in the league.

I get why the Bruins gave him the C, he's been there forever and was a phenomenal player in his prime. But his personality and antics on the ice doesn't exactly scream leadership. I think McAvoy or Pastrnak would've been the ideal options, younger elite players who committed themselves to the team long term.

Again I get why they gave it to Marchand, I don't think it's the smartest choice but I understand it.

Bobby f***ing Clarke was a captain, and he may be the dirtiest, most hated player who ever lived.

\END DISCUSSION

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

This whole "He's hated around the league" doesn't even mean anything, though?

If the organization and his teammates respect the hell out of him, why does it matter what the rest of the league thinks? He's a fantastic player, potential HOFer and gives it his all night in and night out.

He's also still a phenomenal player in this league. People think he just came off a 15 point season. I don't get it. Elite two way player, playoff performer to boot. Guy was nearly a point per game player coming off double hip surgery (which he returned over a month early from) - Guy is a warrior.

This idea of your captain having to be a choir boy is kind of weird. Who gives a shit?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This whole "He's hated around the league" doesn't even mean anything, though?

If the organization and his teammates respect the hell out of him, why does it matter what the rest of the league thinks? He's a fantastic player, potential HOFer and gives it his all night in and night out.

He's also still a phenomenal player in this league. People think he just came off a 15 point season. I don't get it. Elite two way player, playoff performer to boot.

This idea of your captain having to be a choir boy is kind of weird. Who gives a shit?
I don't really give a shit tbh I got no problem with it. I'm just telling you why the OP you responded to said "Going from Chara to Bergy now to Marchand is an interesting choice"

Two guys were all class and leadership, this guy is the opposite. That's why it's kind of strange, Rats usually don't get the C. But if the players and B's fans are happy, who gives a shit ? That's just how outsiders view it though.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I don't really give a shit tbh I got no problem with it. I'm just telling you why the OP you responded to said "Going from Chara to Bergy now to Marchand is an interesting choice"

Two guys were all class and leadership, this guy is the opposite. That's why it's kind of strange, Rats usually don't get the C. But if the players and B's fans are happy, who gives a shit ? That's just how outsiders view it though.
How do you know that Marchand doesn't bring leadership? What a remarkably ignorant take. Guy has been a leader for years and learned along side of both of those guys you mentioned.

Just because he tells a few guys to f*** off and gives them a whack or two doesn't mean he's not a leader.

I'd rather go to war with Marchand as my captain over a good healthy chunk of other teams captains.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Guy Carbonneau wore the C, and he's a first class jackwad if I ever saw one.

Reactions: lopey

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How do you know that Marchand doesn't bring leadership? What a remarkably ignorant take. Guy has been a leader for years and learned along side of both of those guys you mentioned.

Just because he tells a few guys to f*** off and gives them a whack or two doesn't mean he's not a leader.

I'd rather go to war with Marchand as my captain over a good healthy chunk of other teams captains.
From what I observed over the years, he routinely made extremely dirty plays and then would cower and hide behind Chara and the bigger Bruins players. He always made very stupid plays like licking people, I don't think I've ever seen a captain of a team lick another human being in the middle of a game like that. I'm sure the fans/players in the room respect him.

It's not ignorant, just telling you how he is viewed outside of Boston. He is one of, if not the best 2 way winger of his generation, I genuinely believe that. But his traits like his personality and character, he is a rat.

You do see the difference between Chara vs Bergeron vs Marchand when we're looking at their character traits right ?

Again I don't care really about who the B's name their captain, it doesn't effect me or my team at all. I'm just telling you why the rest of the league views this as a strange decision. But if you guys are happy with it, that's cool too.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
From what I observed over the years, he routinely made extremely dirty plays and then would cower and hide behind Chara and the bigger Bruins players. He always made very stupid plays like licking people, I don't think I've ever seen a captain of a team lick another human being in the middle of a game like that. I'm sure the fans/players in the room respect him.

Every time someone accuses Marchand of hiding from a fight, Bruins fans ask for an example, just one video. No one could produce one until he turned down Lars Eller, whom he had kicked the ever living shit out of the previous game for buzzing the Bruins bench in a blowout. So the only time Marchand ducked a fight, it was to not give a showboat the chance at a rematch.

You are welcome to find another example. Have at it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

It's not ignorant, just telling you how he is viewed outside of Boston. He is one of, if not the best 2 way winger of his generation, I genuinely believe that. But his traits like his personality and character, he is a rat.

You do see the difference between Chara vs Bergeron vs Marchand when we're looking at their character traits right ?

Again I don't care really about who the B's name their captain, it doesn't effect me or my team at all. I'm just telling you why the rest of the league views this as a strange decision. But if you guys are happy with it, that's cool too.
He's never once ran and hid behind Chara. Did they help protect him? Absolutely, did he run away, absolutely not. If you can legitimately find me a clip of him making a dirty play and running behind Z, I'd gladly concede this.

Also, good thing he wasn't captain when he licked a dude, but Ok. Also, I had no idea he did this... Haven't heard it before.

We're going to sit here and act like people weren't calling for Chara's head? Guy had an entire province calling 9-11 on him. I'm willing to say half the fanbases called this guy a dirty POS. Lets not act like he wasn't hated by a large chunk of fans.

Bergeron is the GOAT so I'll give you that one.

Again, I'd rather go to war with a guy like Marchand wearing the C over a good chunk of this league.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He's never once ran and hid behind Chara. Did they help protect him? Absolutely, did he run away, absolutely not. If you can legitimately find me a clip of him making a dirty play and running behind Z, I'd gladly concede this.

Also, good thing he wasn't captain when he licked a dude, but Ok. Also, I had no idea he did this... Haven't heard it before.

We're going to sit here and act like people weren't calling for Chara's head? Guy had an entire province calling 9-11 on him. I'm willing to say half the fanbases called this guy a dirty POS. Lets not act like he wasn't hated by a large chunk of fans.

Bergeron is the GOAT so I'll give you that one.

Again, I'd rather go to war with a guy like Marchand wearing the C over a good chunk of this league.
That was Montreal, and the rest of us LOL'd at them for it.

Honestly man if you're happy with it I won't argue with you, just giving you my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad