Brad Marchand - New Captain of the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
He is a tough guy. He was Patrice Bergeron's personal enforcer. Brad grew up. It had nothing to do with Chara.

I honestly don't care what you or any other "fan" thinks. I love that Brad is on the Bruins and think he will make an excellent captain. You are just sad he isn't on your team.

Some have to mentally justify their own unfounded rage.

Going back a few years Marchand and Krug were the Boston enforcers. Marchand has always been far tougher than 5'9.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
"nightly basis" lol

Howe was known for his elbows for sure. He also played his prime years back when the glass didn't even go all the way around the boards, goalies didn't wear masks, and players didn't wear helmets.

Using him as a reference point for a guy whose career started in 2010 may not be making the point you think it is.
Howe also played against Gretzky.
But didn't elbow him.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Howe also played against Gretzky.
But didn't elbow him.
When the game eventually started, Gretzky stole the puck from Howe.

“And I was going the other way, and all of a sudden I felt this stick, and he cracked me over the thumb,” Gretzky said.

“Howe said, ‘Kid, do not ever take the puck from me again,’ and I said, ‘No, I never will.'”, says Gretzky.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I can't stand this guy as an opposition fan. But this definitely seems like a logical choice. From what I've seen, he's been a leader on that team for a long time and most likely holds a lot of influence in the room. There are certainly worse choices from other teams throughout the league.

Reactions: lopey and Ladyfan

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pretty obvious. I don't think there were any viable alternatives.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
When the game eventually started, Gretzky stole the puck from Howe.

“And I was going the other way, and all of a sudden I felt this stick, and he cracked me over the thumb,” Gretzky said.

“Howe said, ‘Kid, do not ever take the puck from me again,’ and I said, ‘No, I never will.'”, says Gretzky.
Priceless !

Reactions: Barnum

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
People can say whatever they want about Brad. He deserves his share of criticism. But watching him as a kid here and then being benched by the Moose after being dealt by Val dor we all thought he’d never make it to the NHL. And all these years later here he is, bigger than life as the Bruins captain. That unexpected rise to the heights he’s reached speaks volumes about the guys dedication and work ethic. He earned it. And he’s liked by many more than want to admit it. This means we have zero plans to make him available at the deadline with a year left on his deal…

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
15 years with the Bruins, majority of that spent directly side by side with Bergeron. Guy is a warrior out there night in and night out. You can argue a HOF resume, too.

I don't see how it's weird.
Licking other player’s faces in a non-consensual manner. You don’t see how that is weird?

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Licking other player’s faces in a non-consensual manner. You don’t see how that is weird?
https___causewaycrowd.com_wp-content_uploads_getty-images_2017_07_915901948.jpeg

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I’m not a Bruins fan. That said, Marchand is a guy that 31 other franchises would gladly take.

Imagine what happens if a little of Bergeron’s ambassadorship rubs off with the C and mixes with Marchand’s attitude?

Eighteen skaters that will skate through walls for an objective.

I won’t knock it until it fails, but I would save the laugh tracks.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I’m not a Bruins fan. That said, Marchand is a guy that 31 other franchises would gladly take.

Imagine what happens if a little of Bergeron’s ambassadorship rubs off with the C and mixes with Marchand’s attitude?

Eighteen skaters that will skate through walls for an objective.

Or his teammates will be struck with an epidemic of diving, suspensions, and licking.

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Or his teammates will be struck with an epidemic of diving, suspensions, and licking.

I won’t say that despite a little justified bias, you don’t have a point.

I just see the team galvanizing around the presence he brought/assisted through several seasons in a way that may see Marchand being the Marchand we know, but sees others on his squad try to be their most effective selves.

(With potential for a few diving and licking incidents which won’t bother a productive roster - if they’re productive.)

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I won’t say that despite a little justified bias, you don’t have a point.

I just see the team galvanizing around the presence he brought/assisted through several seasons in a way that may see Marchand being the Marchand we know, but sees others on his squad try to be their most effective selves.

(With potential for a few diving and licking incidents which won’t bother a productive roster - if they’re productive.)

You're a glass half full kind of person. :thumbu:

There is no doubt Marchand is a great player. I have no idea what kind of a person he is off the ice. He could have a heart of gold for all I know. But his on-ice play for me ranks him as one of the top douche bags of all time. Marchand is a gold medal douche bag. He is what silver and bronze douche bags aspire to be.

In my opinion, someone who plays with such a total disregard for the rules, for other player's safety, and with such a lack of respect for the players he plays against, is anything but captain material. Captains are players who first and foremost lead by example: Jean Beliveau, Mario Lemieux, Joe Sakic, former Bruin Ray Bourque, Nicklas Lidstrom, George Armstrong. Marchand's character is not even remotely close to being on the same level of those great captains.

I will acknowledge that there have been exceptions to the rule - the most notable I can think of offhand being my old friend Bobby Clarke. Will Marchand challenge Clarke for being a dirty but great captain? Who the hell knows. The Bruins have the horses where they could succeed with or without Marchand at the helm, or without any captain at all, so this may always be a matter of debate.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Ah, whataboutery.

You want comical? I got comical.

I’m not arguing that there wasn’t embellishment, however none were nearly as bad as your captains.

I mean, you called out Marchand and his captaincy, then used “diving” as a criteria for your point. I’m just saying your captain was doing that all series.

But hey, he’s a good boy! He’s not mean!

Reactions: lopey and Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad