Value of: Blackhawks Fire Sale

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Zito laughs and hangs up on this one. Knight isn't being moved for anything less than a Price-like package. He's the Panthers goalie of the future and a huge part of the plan.

Hornqvist's contract is up after next season (22-23) and he's a very likely candidate to be moved out to make room to resign Huberdeau (along with letting Vatrano walk) before then.

Bob's contract becomes a Modified NTC (16-team list) starting 7/1/24 so there is only a single season (23-24) where there may be a cap issue with Knight needing to get paid so even if Bob is a backup for a year as Knight moves into the starter's role, it's not as bad an albatross as it's being made out to be.

Finally, Florida needs defense not additional forward help. The only one on Chicago's roster that moves the needle here is Murphy and Chicago isn't moving him for less than an overpayment. The two teams just aren't good trade partners here.

While I don't disagree with your assessment, Chicago with its front office depleted and a acting GM anything that happens going forward will require rocky and Danny Wirtz permission until chicago officially hires a new GM.

I think Chicago is going to let the season play out with the current group and headcoach until they fixed the front office situation. Why create more problems or negative issues when dealing with the current situation. Just my thoughts

Reactions: Desert Panther

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Zito laughs and hangs up on this one. Knight isn't being moved for anything less than a Price-like package. He's the Panthers goalie of the future and a huge part of the plan.

Hornqvist's contract is up after next season (22-23) and he's a very likely candidate to be moved out to make room to resign Huberdeau (along with letting Vatrano walk) before then.

Bob's contract becomes a Modified NTC (16-team list) starting 7/1/24 so there is only a single season (23-24) where there may be a cap issue with Knight needing to get paid so even if Bob is a backup for a year as Knight moves into the starter's role, it's not as bad an albatross as it's being made out to be.

Finally, Florida needs defense not additional forward help. The only one on Chicago's roster that moves the needle here is Murphy and Chicago isn't moving him for less than an overpayment. The two teams just aren't good trade partners here.
Bob is playing Luke vezina Bob and goalies as good as Spencer Knight won't just sit as backup for 3 years waiting his turn if the starter is playing well.

Guys like Grubauer, Raanta and Talbot were in that role for maybe a year and a half when folks realized they were potential starter material then new york/Washington had to make a choice due to offers coming in or contracts coming due.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Bob is playing Luke vezina Bob and goalies as good as Spencer Knight won't just sit as backup for 3 years waiting his turn if the starter is playing well.

Guys like Grubauer, Raanta and Talbot were in that role for maybe a year and a half when folks realized they were potential starter material then new york/Washington had to make a choice due to offers coming in or contracts coming due.

Those guys weren't 20 years old on their ELCs and less than 10 games under their belts in the NHL. Knight fully understands where he is in his development and the team's management group does as well. This isn't an issue that remotely needs to be addressed for at least another year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

And why can't they battle for the #1 role starting as soon as next year?
He's 20 years old, let him work his way up from 30ish games to 50+.
Is there some unwritten rule where you can't have two good goalies at one time?

Knight knows the plan, it's his net to lose after this year or 2023-24.
He'll still only be 22 years old if the latter.
The last 2 years of Bob's deal makes it easier to trade/buyout.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
...how does 10 games into a terrible start to the season for Jones make him an anchor? Recall everyone on HF when Leafs fans wanted him he was worth Matthews or Marner +...now he's unmovable after 10 games? lol

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020

Fair enough, but you still gotta get someone to take Bob's contract... if not, then what?

And if Bob doesn't want to leave Florida, he just lists the 16 teams most likely to trade for him, and it becomes that much more difficult to move him

Does Florida need assistance at LD or RD?

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Price on Hagel or Toews from NYR?
Starting offer for Hagel:
Jones/Robertson/Reunanen+Gauthier+2nd or Kravtsov straight up
Starting offer for Toews:
Chytil+1st+Jones/Robertson/Reunanen for Toews @ 3 million retained

IMHO neither of these make sense for NYR,
too much for Hagel, who is redundant given the summer additions, and not worth Jones or Robertson alone, regardless. He's easier to replace than either

and Toews has too many miles and too much salary (even with $3M retained)
and the NY press would be on him relentlessly after he tried soft-pedal CBH management's virtues commenting on the John Doe report

just my opinion, but don't see why NYR should be in a hurry to gut the youth depth
for guys who are not special, or not that special anymore

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Trade Kane to Winnipeg so he can complete the reincarnation of Bobby Hull, flying around with that golden Big Ern McKraken comb-over

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
BTW if the Hawks are smart they'll not hang onto the idea of "lifetime Hawks" in Kane and Toews. They aren't saving the team where it's going

Wise words. I think Rocky and Scott Bowman had this idea to market the concept in order to make chicago blackhawks orginization image a positive by pushing that . Looking back at chicago when Bill Wirtz ran his team he literally didn't care about the hockey end. He used the team to push his alcohol and concession sales . Every great player in the past was crapped on .

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
On what basis ? Please stop letting your emotions dictate nonsense. There is plenty of blame/fault to be equally handed out like the kids own agent. The players association and bettman,,and his cronies .

The league already spoke in its decision by fining chicago 2 million.
I think the league issued punishment is nonsense. On the basis a small fine (given the value of the franchise) pales in comparison to the gravity of the situation. That the most recent franchise punishment ( a 1st AND 2nd round pick taken from the Coyotes for interviewing draft prospects outside of the combine) is way more severe and in comparison, the "crime" not nearly as devastating or harmful to the league reputation. That the idea that Chicago could win a draft lottery and select 1st overall is farcical given the gravity of what the league is dealing with now because of the franchise.

I agree that the NHLPA and the league are culpable and should not escape punishment.

As an extra old man yelling at the moon opinion, the Habs should have had their 1st round pick revoked last year for drafting the Mailloux kid. It looks even worse, in retrospect, because of the Beach issue.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Fair enough, but you still gotta get someone to take Bob's contract... if not, then what?

And if Bob doesn't want to leave Florida, he just lists the 16 teams most likely to trade for him, and it becomes that much more difficult to move him

Does Florida need assistance at LD or RD?

It's a problem for 2024 at this point. It'll be much easier to trade him with only 2 seasons left on the deal. At the absolute worst case, buying him out would save about $3.34MM for those two years. Even if its a retain/dump trade 3 seasons from now, it's a much easier thing to do.

I'd say probably RD only because it's a bit more difficult to acquire, but in truth the balance between R and L shots on the blueline is pretty close at the moment.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I think the league issued punishment is nonsense. On the basis a small fine (given the value of the franchise) pales in comparison to the gravity of the situation. That the most recent franchise punishment ( a 1st AND 2nd round pick taken from the Coyotes for interviewing draft prospects outside of the combine) is way more sev

ere and in comparison, the "crime" not nearly as devastating or harmful to the league reputation. That the idea that Chicago could win a draft lottery and select 1st overall is farcical given the gravity of what the league is dealing with now because of the franchise.

I agree that the NHLPA and the league are culpable and should not escape punishment.

As an extra old man yelling at the moon opinion, the Habs should have had their 1st round pick revoked last year for drafting the Mailloux kid. It looks even worse, in retrospect, because of the Beach issue.

Everyone with their fake outrage and armchair Quarterback opions need to start using logical thinking.

I'm not saying what happened should be taken lightly

But let's all step back and look at this from a realistic perspective
First this happened 12 years ago any accounting of the facts or situation are sketchy due to a long time lapse

Its not the Blackhawks responsibility to make any public statements at the time of said incident for many reasons , protection of both parties accused and accuser
Also the team has a responsibility to still go on and win games

3rd unless a police report is filed the teams only responsibility at that time would be to either let accused go or disprove allegations

Why didn't Kyle contact the police or his agent or the players association or the nhl ? Those are all serious questions

The team can not arrest Brad ok all they can do is fire him and they would need a legally sound reason to m do so. So saying he did something without any physical evidence only people's words means nothing in a court of law , the team could be sued .

The league handed out its decision if you don't like it well the facts of this situation as tragic as it is this was never going to a court room unless Kyle was willing to press charges period.

Just because some lawyers rights a report that report without any physical evidence of said crime only reports of well he said this means Nothing in the end.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
To Ottawa: Calvin De Haan + Connor Murphy
To Chicago: Michael Del Zotto + Josh Brown + Victor Mete + TBL 2nd 2022 + OTT 2nd 2023

Ottawa rebuild their porous bottom-four defenceman with a legit top-4 RHD and a veteran with a local connection.

Chicago takes on a bunch of bodies on short term deals on defence to even out cap and roster players with the prize being draft picks.

I'd also consider a smaller deal for De Haan for Brown/Mete+ if the Hawks don't want to move Murphy. I don't think CDH is the solution, but he can't be worse than what's been trotted out on the Sens bottom pair this season. Plus he's got the local/veteran angle the team loves so much.

EDIT: I also wonder if the Blackhawks would have any interest in Brannstrom. Not sure I'd use him as the centerpiece of a Murphy deal, but Dorion very well may. Sanderson/Murphy would turn a weakness into a strength in a hurry, so maybe EB is the odd man out.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinRedkey

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Olczyk the frontrunner in Chicago?

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Eddie Olczyk appears to be the leading candidate to take over Stan Bowman’s role with the Chicago Blackhawks. Kevin Weekes could be another GM candidate. The Blackhawks are putting their list of GM candidates together, and their new GM may have to start looking for a new coach.

Reactions: Fatass

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
And why can't they battle for the #1 role starting as soon as next year?
He's 20 years old, let him work his way up from 30ish games to 50+.
Is there some unwritten rule where you can't have two good goalies at one time?

Knight knows the plan, it's his net to lose after this year or 2023-24.
He'll still only be 22 years old if the latter.
The last 2 years of Bob's deal makes it easier to trade/buyout.
What plan? Are you saying they have somehow openly spoken to him and said "once Bob's limited NTC kicks in, we will get rid of him and you can have the net if you sign an extension for that one year"?

Of course they haven't. The "Plan" is some figment of your future wishes and hopes. its commendable to look ahead, but its still just hoping and praying you can shed that caphit like a prospect will pan out on schedule. Spencer knight has played 6 NHL games and hasn't proven himself yet and hasn't been tested. his record looks great.......for a tiny sample size playing on one of the best teams in the league. Which means nothing until you see him get hit with some adversity. Also the ability to make a 16 team no trade list in 2024 is pretty handcuffing in itself. "please don't trade me to any of these teams with caproom or goalie problems. I want to go to winnipeg or Tampa bay or new York or vegas or maybe Montreal to replace Price"

Coach Quenneville is gone, but he was pretty clear in his opening statement this year. "The team believes Bob is the starter so he will get the majority of starts like a starter." The GM and players backed him up on that. And Bob responded by playing amazing so far. Its vintage Vezina Bob.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Those guys weren't 20 years old on their ELCs and less than 10 games under their belts in the NHL. Knight fully understands where he is in his development and the team's management group does as well. This isn't an issue that remotely needs to be addressed for at least another year.
Oh I agree. but the fellow saying "its the plan" is looney toons if he think NHL brass plan on an unproven prospect's development over a vezina winning goalie.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Come in close friend I have a secret to tell you

*whispers*

NO ONE is taking Seth Jones. You're stuck with him for good now

*back patting intensifies*
If I were a petty man I would go back and quote all the posts saying Jones alone was worth more than Matthews lol
I had proposed a trade of Matthews for PLD+Jones from the Jackets and roasted for it. In hind sight that would have been soo bad for the Leafs.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What plan? Are you saying they have somehow openly spoken to him and said "once Bob's limited NTC kicks in, we will get rid of him and you can have the net if you sign an extension for that one year"?

Of course they haven't. The "Plan" is some figment of your future wishes and hopes. its commendable to look ahead, but its still just hoping and praying you can shed that caphit like a prospect will pan out on schedule. Spencer knight has played 6 NHL games and hasn't proven himself yet and hasn't been tested. his record looks great.......for a tiny sample size playing on one of the best teams in the league. Which means nothing until you see him get hit with some adversity. Also the ability to make a 16 team no trade list in 2024 is pretty handcuffing in itself. "please don't trade me to any of these teams with caproom or goalie problems. I want to go to winnipeg or Tampa bay or new York or vegas or maybe Montreal to replace Price"

Coach Quenneville is gone, but he was pretty clear in his opening statement this year. "The team believes Bob is the starter so he will get the majority of starts like a starter." The GM and players backed him up on that. And Bob responded by playing amazing so far. Its vintage Vezina Bob.

Knight knows the plan not to throw a 20yr old into the fire and pray it works out.
He has two amazing mentors to look up to in Luongo and Bobrovsky.

There will be a transition phase over the next few years where Bob still plays 50ish games this year and next and Knight becomes starter by 2023-24.

Ya know, kind of what TB did with Vasi? Let Bishop play 60ish games the first couple years and then hand it off to Vasi once he's ready, at age 22-23.

Screenshot_20211101-132144_Samsung Internet.jpg

Your doom and gloom attitude doesn't scare any FLA fans.
Bob is the #1 for this year and maybe next and then it'll be Knight's net to lose.

If Bob plays hardball, the GM will buy him out, same thing we did with Yandle.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Olczyk the frontrunner in Chicago?

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: Eddie Olczyk appears to be the leading candidate to take over Stan Bowman’s role with the Chicago Blackhawks. Kevin Weekes could be another GM candidate. The Blackhawks are putting their list of GM candidates together, and their new GM may have to start looking for a new coach.

Edzo coming back to finish what he started 17 years ago...bury MAF's career.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Knight knows the plan not to throw a 20yr old into the fire and pray it works out.
He has two amazing mentors to look up to in Luongo and Bobrovsky.

There will be a transition phase over the next few years where Bob still plays 50ish games this year and next and Knight becomes starter by 2023-24.

Ya know, kind of what TB did with Vasi? Let Bishop play 60ish games the first couple years and then hand it off to Vasi once he's ready, at age 22-23.

View attachment 475915

Your doom and gloom attitude doesn't scare any FLA fans.
Bob is the #1 for this year and maybe next and then it'll be Knight's net to lose.

If Bob plays hardball, the GM will buy him out, same thing we did with Yandle.
"Doom and gloom"

What is "doom and gloom" about saying Bob is playing amazing and that a rookie is unproven and nobody is going to plan on it working out like that? Its actually a compliment to your team genius.

Vasi for Tampa is like the only goalie since Patrick Roy to have a Cinderella story like that, and Bishop was never considered a great goalie like Bob, nor given a huge long contract. The Cup winning Capitals just tried to do something similar with 1st round pick Samsonov by letting Holtby go after Samsonov looked good in a small sample size. Its not working out like they planned and some 25 year old 2nd round pick is now the Caps starting goalie while Samsonov is the backup. And Samsonov would have gone top 10 in a lot of draft years other than the McDavid year since that was and will likely go down as one of the best draft years of all time due to the top 10 being considered shoe in superstar picks.

Hell, Ottinger is the best Dallas goalie with a bright future. He stole the show last year......and they still went to get Brayden Holtby as another starter because Bishop is injured and Khudobin isn't a starter.

Bob is a 2 time vezina winner playing like a 2 time vezina winner. You saying they plan on getting rid of him because you are an armchair GM and don't like his caphit is asinine and no GM thinks like that. Essentially, you are pinning hopes on a goalie becoming an instant Vasilevsky(Which happens so rarely you can count the amount of times on 1 hand it has happened in the last 30 years) as opposed to the equal chance he becomes Ilya Samsonov or worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad