Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
His inconsistency has been longer then a 2-3 month "covid brain fog". Its been years he had been like that lol.

I get covid can affect athletes but imo its overblown. Ex Jaysum Tatum of the Boston Celtics claimed long covid was affecting his endurance and performance..meanwhile the guy was averaging more minutes, points, rebounds, etc then he had ever been before lol.

Of course I never got covid, so I don't know how it feels, I've only seen several friends and coworkers get it, but they were all very mildly cases. So take my feelings on that with a grain of salt. But the Nylander stuff, is stuff that plagued him for years.
Ever played in NHL with migraine? I belive him finding something to deal with the migraine done wonders. If i had migraine and getting hit i would just thow up on the spot.

And Covid affects people realy different some atletes have had to change careers .

Just happy things has sortet itself out.

Who am i foolin i would thow up getting hit even without migraine.

I expect a slump soon. I hope im wrong. Can all four be on the same time?

Reactions: ER89

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
7279hz.gif
Golfing how-to video that each member of the Bruins + Bolts will get next spring after Nylander helps the Leafs eliminate them.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Willy and Auston played together their first three years in the league. Willy is better with Auston than he is with Tavares, but I think Auston is better with Mitch than he is with Willy.
Yeah I agree with this, but I think the “bump up” that Willy and Tavares get from playing with Matthews and Marner is larger than the “bump down” that Matthews and Marner feel when split apart.

Rather than having a A+ line and a B+ line, we end up having two A lines.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It was a joke pointed at the haters. $6.9M for a ppg player is fantastic value.
Over the last 3+ seasons, in two more games but averaging 40 seconds less ice time per game, he has more goals, as many points, more ES goals and points, more PP goals, more OT goals, and more GWG than Tavares. Plus a better shooting %.

League wide, he's 13th in goals, 14th in PP goals, 17th in ES goals, and 19th in GWG.

If he could only play goal too, he'd be worth his contract.

• Love
Reactions: saffronleaf

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It was a joke pointed at the haters. $6.9M for a ppg player is fantastic value.
Technically he was paid to sit 40% of one year.
He wasn't a ppg player at the time and disregarding that, his annualize 82 post contract point rate (accounting only for the games he played) is 70.
He was paid decently and I really don't care what he got but let's not gaslight the historical record.

Reactions: ACC1224

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Ever played in NHL with migraine? I belive him finding something to deal with the migraine done wonders. If i had migraine and getting hit i would just thow up on the spot.

And Covid affects people realy different some atletes have had to change careers .

Just happy things has sortet itself out.

Who am i foolin i would thow up getting hit even without migraine.

I expect a slump soon. I hope im wrong. Can all four be on the same time?

I've never had a migraine, but i think tinting his visoe is more likely what I think has helped his performance over some kind of covid fog.

Reactions: ZEBROA

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
be glad you don't. it's excruciatingly painful and not a fun thing to have. the fact he was playing with that is pretty insane and honestly makes me like this guy more.

I know a woman who gets them constantly and describes it as thousands of needles stabbing her brain at once, sounds awful. I'm pretty lucky I haven't had that, just an occasional bad headache here and there. I rarely get sick, so again, I'm pretty lucky.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
be glad you don't. it's excruciatingly painful and not a fun thing to have. the fact he was playing with that is pretty insane and honestly makes me like this guy more.
I doubt that he actually played games with a migraine. It was probably more something that affected his sleep, eating, training stuff like that.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
We all called this a mile away when the contracts were signed.

Nylander will get better (like most players do) and people that don't understand hockey will start saying it's a "good contract".

We KNEW this would happen and we wrote about it often.

Nylander was an rfa, and the entire cba is designed so that rfa players have little to no leverage and are forced into remarkably team friendly deals. Rfa's have one TINY piece of leverage (that you only ever hear about league wide when leaf players are rfa's), and that's offer-sheets. But Nylander was in a weird contract situation where it was against the cba for another team to give him an offer-sheet. So he had literally ZERO leverage. When a player gers to ufa status, that's when THEY have the leverage and play the market against itself.

So how do you determine rfa value, if the players have no leverage? By comparables.

And this is where things get dicey. Nylander insisted to be paid as a comparable to Pastrnak. And his only (lol) leverage was playing in Switzerland for peanuts (double lol). Nylander was proven 20 goal/60 point player, while Pastrnak was a proven 34 goal/70 point player even after missing 8 games to injury.

On November 31'st Dubas caved to Nylander and gave him the Pastrnak contract. But ALSO with far more front loading (something players desperately want), FAR more in signing bonuses (which players desperately want) and... iciing on the cake... one less of the coveted ufa years, which is what spikes up rfa contracts.

Now, we all said it back then. Nylander is not an equivalent to Pastrnak, he was a rfa with ZERO leverage, and has thus been significantly overpaid. We all KNEW that Pastrnak would be the superior player, but people will look at this and say "Nylanders contract is actually pretty good".

The reason the Nylander debacle is so important is that Matthews and Marner saw that Nylander was able to force his way into being paid as a comparable player to someone significantly better than him. And that's what they'd try to do as well. And they had that tiny baby amount of leverage of offer sheets. And the rest is history. A team full of unprecedented dramatic overpayments that lose every season in the first round.

• Haha
Reactions: Mitchy and Morbo

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019

Nylander will get better (like most players do) and people that don't understand hockey will start saying it's a "good contract".

Nylander was an rfa, and the entire cba is designed so that rfa players have little to no leverage and are forced into remarkably team friendly deals. Rfa's have one TINY piece of leverage (that you only ever hear about league wide when leaf players are rfa's), and that's offer-sheets. But Nylander was in a weird contract situation where it was against the cba for another team to give him an offer-sheet. So he had literally ZERO leverage. When a player gers to ufa status, that's when THEY have the leverage and play the market against itself.

So how do you determine rfa value, if the players have no leverage? By comparables.

And this is where things get dicey. Nylander insisted to be paid as a comparable to Pastrnak. And his only (lol) leverage was playing in Switzerland for peanuts (double lol). Nylander was proven 20 goal/60 point player, while Pastrnak was a proven 34 goal/70 point player even after missing 8 games to injury.

On November 31'st Dubas caved to Nylander and gave him the Pastrnak contract. But ALSO with far more front loading (something players desperately want), FAR more in signing bonuses (which players desperately want) and... iciing on the cake... one less of the coveted ufa years, which is what spikes up rfa contracts.

Now, we all said it back then. Nylander is not an equivalent to Pastrnak, he was a rfa with ZERO leverage, and has thus been significantly overpaid. We all KNEW that Pastrnak would be the superior player, but people will look at this and say "Nylanders contract is actually pretty good".

The reason the Nylander debacle is so important is that Matthews and Marner saw that Nylander was able to force his way into being paid as a comparable player to someone significantly better than him. And that's what they'd try to do as well. And they had that tiny baby amount of leverage of offer sheets. And the rest is history. A team full of unprecedented dramatic overpayments that lose every season in the first round.
I don’t disagree

Nylander making the contract a good contract now doesn’t mean at the time of signing it wasn’t a big of an overpay compared to his real comparable in ehlers imo

However, if Matthews and Marner would outplay their contracts as much as Nylander is, I think it would be fine. If Marner produces every year like last year, and plays every playoff series like last year, same with Matthews, then it would be fair to say both contracts are good

Also, the problem with Matthews’s and marners contracts Imo is term, Matthews and Marner at their current salaries at 8 years is fair id say, even at the time of signing. 5 and 6 years are the big problem

But I do see how nylanders contract shenanigans could’ve started all of this

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Pasta signed before Nylander and how contracts normally go is the next comparable will sign for more .

Nylander had more points than Pasta in the duration of their ELC's.

Also, I am pretty certain the 6.9 was offered in the summer and Nylander canved in Nov,, not Dubas.

Now this is how every GM gives contracts to players coming out of their ELC. A GM'S new responsibility is project how the player is going to turn out and give him a deal that will favour the player early and be a team friendly deal later.

Hockey is catching up to other sports who pay for what ypu are going to do instead of paying what you have done

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Pasta signed before Nylander and how contracts normally go is the next comparable will sign for more .

Nylander had more points than Pasta in the duration of their ELC's.

Also, I am pretty certain the 6.9 was offered in the summer and Nylander canved in Nov,, not Dubas.

Now this is how every GM gives contracts to players coming out of their ELC. A GM'S new responsibility is project how the player is going to turn out and give him a deal that will favour the player early and be a team friendly deal later.

Hockey is catching up to other sports who pay for what ypu are going to do instead of paying what you have done
Well yes, that is what DUBAS did. But notice boston didn't do that with Pastrnak, or Colorado with Mackinnon.

Nylander is currently 20th in points. The player 19th makes 3 mil per year. The player at 21 makes 5 mil per year. If Nylander is a "steal", then those two players are the best contracts in the history of all professional sport.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Well yes, that is what DUBAS did. But notice boston didn't do that with Pastrnak, or Colorado with Mackinnon.

Nylander is currently 20th in points. The player 19th makes 3 mil per year. The player at 21 makes 5 mil per year. If Nylander is a "steal", then those two players are the best contracts in the history of all professional sport.

Pasta, Drai, Tage, J Robertson, MacK, Schief were/are steals. Nylander was garbage in year 1, better in each of the following years. Paid for the time he sat out and came in out of shape. I hardly call that a steal. His next one needs to be a "steal", but it won't be.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Pasta, Drai, Tage, J Robertson, MacK, Schief were/are steals. Nylander was garbage in year 1, better in each of the following years. Paid for the time he sat out and came in out of shape. I hardly call that a steal. His next one needs to be a "steal", but it won't be.
Why does it need to be a steal? This team needs Nylander the way he is playing. He is critical to playoff success. He isn't a role player on the leafs. He is part of the core that needs to anchor their success. Depth needs to be stolen, not core or you are just running a mickey mouse operation.

Ad

Ad

Ad