Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Moving away from contract talk (especially boring considering he can't even negotiate one any time soon),

It's been fun seeing him play a bit more with Matthews this season, reminds me of their first season together.
I feel like they weren’t really gelling in the first couple of games but it seems they are starting to find their groove. They’ve always been strong at neutral zone rushes but their cycle game with Bunting is starting to look a lot better, love seeing long shifts in the offensive zone where all three guys are getting touches.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Nylander has Marner and Matthews as comparables.
Rielly had other highly paid d-men as comparisons. Who do you think Matthews used as a comparable for his contract?

He held out for every penny he could get last time, it's hard to see him now being happy taking 3 - 5 million less than his teammates especially if he continues to score at this pace.
Your lack of objectivity comparing Marner and Nylander never fails to amuse everyone.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Rielly had other highly paid d-men as comparisons. Who do you think Matthews used as a comparable for his contract?

Your lack of objectivity comparing Marner and Nylander never fails to amuse everyone.
I'll take the deflection as you failing to understand what occurs.
I had a feeling I'd regret replying to your post, should have paid attention to it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
For all we know, Willie will end the season with 50/50 and win the Conn Symthe. Then will his value be 12.85 like Mack?

Just enjoy the way he is playing and discuss about his next contract when he signs and this goes the same to every other Leafs.
I don’t think we should expect players to take discount but at the very least we should expect them to be honest with the team in order for the Leafs to get a trade done when they walk.

He is playing great and keep what he is doing esp in the playoffs and we might just advance a few rounds.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It'll up his value in negotiations for sure, but we also saw like with the Kadri extension that 1-2 seasons usually don't dramatically shift a players worth.

I' think Nylanders likely heading towards an extension in the 10-11% of the cap range give or take over 7-8 years. The actual aav will be up in the air at the moment depending on how high the cap raises between now and free agency 2024.
We'll see but it seems like his value is rising with every game, which is a good thing.
When is the earliest the 3 can sign their new deals?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
'Maturing' William Nylander a consistent catalyst for Maple Leafs

There was a time when Maple Leafs coach Sheldon Keefe had to light a fire under William Nylander to get the winger engaged.

OK, several times. That’s not the case now, as Nylander has become a consistent spark. “I think it’s a combination of things,” Keefe said. “He’s maturing. Over time, you get sick of having the coach in your ear all the time and you want to get that sorted out yourself before the coach has to come in and get in there (again).
“I also think our players internally are pushing each other, those top guys. Willie has potential to be in that top tier. Auston (Matthews) and Mitch (Marner) have really established themselves in that exclusive top tier in the league.

“Willie should be right there hanging with those guys. He’s pushing himself, and they’re all pushing one another, which is how that group gets to even greater heights.”

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He's looked really good this season, its almost like he's playing for his next contract this season instead of his actual UFA year. Idk if its that he tinted his visor helping him, since he said he always got migraines before, or what...but he's definitely looked better all around and has even done some PK'ing. I remember he was the guy we used to send to the box for too many men penalties, so he's come a long way in that regard. He's also looked like one of the stronger guys out there, which again, is suprising.

Reactions: Wendelstache

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
We'll see but it seems like his value is rising with every game, which is a good thing.
When is the earliest the 3 can sign their new deals?
nylander and matthews july 1, 2023 ... marner july 1, 2024 if i understand the rules correctly.. i also believe they can negotiate and agree 6 months prior but cannot sign ... but i may be mistaken

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
nylander and matthews july 1, 2023 ... marner july 1, 2024 if i understand the rules correctly.. i also believe they can negotiate and agree 6 months prior but cannot sign ... but i may be mistaken
Thanks.....should be an interesting summer

Reactions: freshwind

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He's looked really good this season, its almost like he's playing for his next contract this season instead of his actual UFA year. Idk if its that he tinted his visor helping him, since he said he always got migraines before, or what...but he's definitely looked better all around and has even done some PK'ing. I remember he was the guy we used to send to the box for too many men penalties, so he's come a long way in that regard. He's also looked like one of the stronger guys out there, which again, is suprising.

If his Covid spell last year had the 2-3+ month brain fog I've seen in family members that had it I can understand why he looks twice as engaged consistently this year on top of the tinted visor.

Reactions: kb

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
If his Covid spell last year had the 2-3+ month brain fog I've seen in family members that had it I can understand why he looks twice as engaged consistently this year on top of the tinted visor.

His inconsistency has been longer then a 2-3 month "covid brain fog". Its been years he had been like that lol.

I get covid can affect athletes but imo its overblown. Ex Jaysum Tatum of the Boston Celtics claimed long covid was affecting his endurance and performance..meanwhile the guy was averaging more minutes, points, rebounds, etc then he had ever been before lol.

Of course I never got covid, so I don't know how it feels, I've only seen several friends and coworkers get it, but they were all very mildly cases. So take my feelings on that with a grain of salt. But the Nylander stuff, is stuff that plagued him for years.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
His inconsistency has been longer then a 2-3 month "covid brain fog". Its been years he had been like that lol.

I get covid can affect athletes but imo its overblown. Ex Jaysum Tatum of the Boston Celtics claimed long covid was affecting his endurance and performance..meanwhile the guy was averaging more minutes, points, rebounds, etc then he had ever been before lol.

Of course I never got covid, so I don't know how it feels, I've only seen several friends and coworkers get it, but they were all very mildly cases. So take my feelings on that with a grain of salt. But the Nylander stuff, is stuff that plagued him for years.

He seemed to be a lot better about it at the start of last year and when he came back he'd have spurts of looking unaware or not sure what to do on the ice, didn't seem like a conditioning or effort thing as much as it was being a second or two behind the play mentally sometimes.

We've seen him look lazy or nonchalant before, last year was the only time I saw him look stupid with some regularity other than at the start of the holdout season.

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
Been our most consistent playoff guy in the dubas era as well imo

Unfortunately for us he's about to get paid

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
7279hz.gif

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Also, no context. Running star players up the middle when they are stud wingers is just plain risky and ill timed based on current trends. Dumb suggestion.
Not really he’s played center most his life and that’s where he played with the marlies who do you suggest we pay to play up the middle for us then?

Reactions: saffronleaf

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
seeing them reunited has been one of the highlights of this season
Willy and Auston played together their first three years in the league. Willy is better with Auston than he is with Tavares, but I think Auston is better with Mitch than he is with Willy.

Reactions: Jojalu

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Willy and Auston played together their first three years in the league. Willy is better with Auston than he is with Tavares, but I think Auston is better with Mitch than he is with Willy.
That might be true but as long as the team is winning, I would be hesitant to move things back. If they do so while they are winning, it because AM insists he plays with Marner and if Dubas wants to sign him in July, he will need to keep him happy. I'm guessing he is currently content with the team's success.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
That might be true but as long as the team is winning, I would be hesitant to move things back. If they do so while they are winning, it because AM insists he plays with Marner and if Dubas wants to sign him in July, he will need to keep him happy. I'm guessing he is currently content with the team's success.
Yup. No reason to switch right now. Just an observation. The team as a whole is obviously clicking, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ad

Ad

Ad