Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He really didn't? The same contract could have been signed in September there were reports out. And he didn't hold out and want an overpay. He wanted to be fairly and that contract is a bargain right now. Mitch didn't and Austin didn't hold out BC they got every single thing they wanted.
He held out until December.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Robertson is listed at 5' 9" and 183 lbs.

Nylander is 6' and 204, and we've seen him get hit often enough to know that getting injured the way Robertson was isn't too likely. More likely is Marner, who's 6' but only 181.

Sure injuries can happen to anyone, but that strikes me as a bit of an odd take.
It wasn't a take Robertson is already on IR.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That's a simplistic and disingenuous way if looking at it. He held out for a bargain bin contract? Why would anyone take anything cheaper than that.
Call it whatever you like. It doesn't change the fact that he held out.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Call it whatever you like. It doesn't change the fact that he held out.
if you wana take a rather disingenuous and simplistic look and not consider anything else than be my guest.

But william signing his contract for a steal of a deal now and fair then does not indicate that he held out for money.

Something that can't be said about the other two maple leaf young stars.

Reactions: saffronleaf

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It wasn't a take Robertson is already on IR.
You missed my point. Yes, Robertson is on the IR, because, at 5' 9" and 183, he was easily ragdolled, but Nylander is appreciably bigger and heavier and we have seen him take a fair bit of physical punishment.

Thinking he'll get injured in the same way is an odd take.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
You missed my point. Yes, Robertson is on the IR, because, at 5' 9" and 183, he was easily ragdolled, but Nylander is appreciably bigger and heavier and we have seen him take a fair bit of physical punishment.

Thinking he'll get injured in the same way is an odd take.
That's not what I said at all you're just reaching for likes.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
if you wana take a rather disingenuous and simplistic look and not consider anything else than be my guest.

But william signing his contract for a steal of a deal now and fair then does not indicate that he held out for money.

Something that can't be said about the other two maple leaf young stars.
:laugh: Ok, seems like you want to re-write history so I'll leave you to it.

I've seen alot of crazy takes but I don't think I've ever seen anyone believe he didn't hold out.

Reactions: Confucius

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
It's too bad JT's contract doesn't expire first so can get that albatross off the books before negotiating with the big three.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I don't think it would.

You can't compare him to Matthews. And Mitch was overpaid last contract even if he's killing it now.

We shall see.
He really didn't? The same contract could have been signed in September there were reports out. And he didn't hold out and want an overpay. He wanted to be fairly and that contract is a bargain right now. Mitch didn't and Austin didn't hold out BC they got every single thing they wanted.
There are a lot of arguments you can make that he was fairly paid if Marner was overpaid. Marner is 4 years into his contract and his average scoring pace is 101 pts annualized for 82 games.
Nylander is 5 years into his contract with an annualized scoring pace of 70 pts. Really tough to say that Marner should have been paid what you propose what Nylander now deserves.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
There are a lot of arguments you can make that he was fairly paid if Marner was overpaid. Marner is 4 years into his contract and his average scoring pace is 101 pts annualized for 82 games.
Nylander is 5 years into his contract with an annualized scoring pace of 70 pts. Really tough to say that Marner should have been paid what you propose what Nylander now deserves.
not really when you look at the comparables auston and mitch broke every single one. William was paid similar to his comps.

:laugh: Ok, seems like you want to re-write history so I'll leave you to it.

I've seen alot of crazy takes but I don't think I've ever seen anyone believe he didn't hold out.
did i say he did not hold out?

Theres nothing crazy about the take. You made a point that was aimed at he held out for every single penny. Which is a ridiculous take.

He held out for a fair contract at worst and a team friendly contract at best given how he was improving.

You can continue with that bad narrative if you like, but it doesn't make it true.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
not really when you look at the comparables auston and mitch broke every single one. William was paid similar to his comps.
Nonsense. Marner was paid slightly above a Kane number with an extra year. He has outperformed Kane for the same period. Nylander was paid slightly above pasta and he certainly didn't outperform him.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

did i say he did not hold out?

Theres nothing crazy about the take. You made a point that was aimed at he held out for every single penny. Which is a ridiculous take.

He held out for a fair contract at worst and a team friendly contract at best given how he was improving.

You can continue with that bad narrative if you like, but it doesn't make it true.
He did hold out for what he felt he was worth. The amount he wanted in September is the amount he accepted in December.
You can call it whatever you like, he held out to get what he wanted. No reason to believe he won't want to be paid what he feels he's worth next time around.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Love Willy, always have, always will. Amazing to see him rewarded more lately, has always been underappreciated. Phenomenal player. 8 X 9, come on down.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy is only 5 tool top end skill player on team and there are only a few in entire league .. this is why Keefer always expects more .. Willy has it in him .. issue is always same .. when does he decide to give it all .. it is frustrating when skills are all there .. but he clearly is getting more consistent this year than last and from last year to year before .. he is progressing .. how much more can he give?????????????? .. 100 points is easily achievable but will he will consistent enough to do it .. TBH i could care less as long as he brings it hard every night in playoffs when he is needed most .. when games pick up to top level speed Willy can hit those speeds and even excel farther .. that skill he has other guys don't have it in them to do

Reactions: Gabriel426

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Mitch Marner scored 26 goals and 94pts and got 11M. Nylander is on pace for 40+ goals and 93pts. What does his next contract look like? 8 years x $__M

LOVE Willy. My 2 favorite players on the Leafs 1. Matthews 2. Nylander.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

IIRC wasn't the issue that he didn't want to sign an under market deal just to maximize his trade value and move him to accomodate the big 3? Seemed like staying in Toronto was a bigger priority than an extra 500k a year, if he was eligible for an NTC the deal is probably done before training camp.

Reactions: kb and ER89

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Mitch Marner scored 26 goals and 94pts and got 11M. Nylander is on pace for 40+ goals and 93pts. What does his next contract look like? 8 years x $__M
Defense, PK, and production opportunity differences aside, there's a big difference between a 21 year old scoring 94 points and signing a contract through ages 22-27, and a 26 year old pacing for 93 points and signing a contract through ages 28-35. That's not how comparables work.

Reactions: cipher

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s not signing now though. What if he throws up back to back 90 point season’s?

It'll up his value in negotiations for sure, but we also saw like with the Kadri extension that 1-2 seasons usually don't dramatically shift a players worth.

I' think Nylanders likely heading towards an extension in the 10-11% of the cap range give or take over 7-8 years. The actual aav will be up in the air at the moment depending on how high the cap raises between now and free agency 2024.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad