Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Two of his league wide comparables (Fiala and Forsberg) just signed contract extensions for 7.8mil and 8.5 mil against the current cap.

I doubt Nylander views himself (or his agent for that matter) on par with the best goal scoring centres in the NHL as a winger.

I expect he'll be in for a raise, but I suspect it'll be much closer to 2 mil than 4+ mil (with the caveat that the aav will be influenced by the cap raises).
He’s not signing now though. What if he throws up back to back 90 point season’s?

I mean if he does you can just ask him where his Rockets, Harts, Lindsays, and All-first team selections are

He won't get what they command
They’ll be getting more though.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Two of his league wide comparables (Fiala and Forsberg) just signed contract extensions for 7.8mil and 8.5 mil against the current cap.

I doubt Nylander views himself (or his agent for that matter) on par with the best goal scoring centres in the NHL as a winger.

I expect he'll be in for a raise, but I suspect it'll be much closer to 2 mil than 4+ mil (with the caveat that the aav will be influenced by the cap raises).
At the moment at least, his closest comparable on RW may be his teammate.

Reactions: ACC1224 and arso40

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
willys always asked for a fair amount.

I would def pay him 8.5-9
What if he gets rag dolled like Robertson?

9-10 mill somewhere in that range he’s definitely earned that and he’ll probably end up moving into the middle at some point

Just saying. Can't speak in absolutes and assume he puts in two healthy seasons at full health with how this league is getting. Dirty stuff is happening daily just ask my ex that I still see around the office talking all this and that with exuberance.

img_1_1670327887203~2.jpg

Physics are a thing, injuries happen. Don't count your chicken heads before they click.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Willy has turned the corner. Has played a third of the year with no noticeable extended lapses. He is an impact player every game and plays a hard game from the whistle drop. This year, there are 2 first lines consistently. That keeps the focus where it needs to...on the depth where Keefe can swap parts when needed. This core has never been stronger, in large part because Nylander comes to play every game.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Why would he think that’s a fair amount when Marner and Matthews will be looking for minimum 12 plus?
Could just be committed to the team like Rielly. Look at guys like Nurse who get paid millions more. If I'm the Leafs I try to lock him up after this season along with Matthews.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I hate Bettman’s NHL, another appreciation thread and it’s all about the cap hit. Other leagues talk trade and exciting options, all we do is talk about constraints and dumpster diving to fill out rosters.

Loving Bill since he realized last year that the cookies are in the greasy areas. He’s tough on the puck, he doesn’t alway curl away now, he drives. Pretty consistent as well.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Could just be committed to the team like Rielly. Look at guys like Nurse who get paid millions more. If I'm the Leafs I try to lock him up after this season along with Matthews.
Sure he could be but that sounds like wishful thinking.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
undercover superstar in the sense that he has always been lost in the shadows of Mitch and Auston. Realistically though he is every bit as talented. He has that exact same ability to take over games. Enigmatic early on in his career, but he's been sort of a model of consistency for the last 3 seasons.

From everything I've ever read on him he works his bag off, even though his personality suggests otherwise at times.

Really hoping we can make him a career Leaf, alongside Mitch and Auston.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
It would make the most sense to use his teammates as comparables.
I don't think it would.

You can't compare him to Matthews. And Mitch was overpaid last contract even if he's killing it now.

We shall see.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't think it would.

You can't compare him to Matthews. And Mitch was overpaid last contract even if he's killing it now.

We shall see.
He held out for every penny he could get last time, it's hard to see him now being happy taking 3 - 5 million less than his teammates especially if he continues to score at this pace.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
What if he gets rag dolled like Robertson?

Just saying. Can't speak in absolutes and assume he puts in two healthy seasons at full health with how this league is getting. Dirty stuff is happening daily just ask my ex that I still see around the office talking all this and that with exuberance.

View attachment 620264

Physics are a thing, injuries happen. Don't count your chicken heads before they click.
Robertson is listed at 5' 9" and 183 lbs.

Nylander is 6' and 204, and we've seen him get hit often enough to know that getting injured the way Robertson was isn't too likely. More likely is Marner, who's 6' but only 181.

Sure injuries can happen to anyone, but that strikes me as a bit of an odd take.

Reactions: ACC1224 and ER89

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He held out for every penny he could get last time, it's hard to see him now being happy taking 3 - 5 million less than his teammates especially if he continues to score at this pace.
He really didn't? The same contract could have been signed in September there were reports out. And he didn't hold out and want an overpay. He wanted to be fairly and that contract is a bargain right now. Mitch didn't and Austin didn't hold out BC they got every single thing they wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad