Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Why does it need to be a steal? This team needs Nylander the way he is playing. He is critical to playoff success. He isn't a role player on the leafs. He is part of the core that needs to anchor their success. Depth needs to be stolen, not core or you are just running a mickey mouse operation.
Never thought I'd see the day but this is bang f***ing on 67

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Why does it need to be a steal? This team needs Nylander the way he is playing. He is critical to playoff success. He isn't a role player on the leafs. He is part of the core that needs to anchor their success. Depth needs to be stolen, not core or you are just running a mickey mouse operation.

Agreed he needs to be paid fairly but it would be nice if we could get them at a slight discount so we can surround them with better talent.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Agreed he needs to be paid fairly but it would be nice if we could get them at a slight discount so we can surround them with better talent.
Every team is choking on cap. Look at the canucks. I'm not sure what a discount looks like. In any event, the only way out of cap issues for the league is for the leafs to go far in the playoffs. The league revenue will be driven a lot higher and the cap will increase a lot more.

Reactions: kb and ToneDog

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
I agree with Keefe that Nylander has another gear he can reach. When he was drafted I thought he could be a prime Seguin level forward, he looks like he might peak past that now. If they can lock him up under $10 million that's a discount imo. Some team is going to throw the bank at him to unleash him as their main C option. Imagine him on the Rangers top line feeding Panarin or Kreider? Maybe the Caps consider him their heir apparent to Backstrom or Kuznetsov?

They need to keep him. The core of this team has always been Matthews, Marner, Nylander. They added to it with Tavares but he'll be gone at some point. I personally think McDavid is the next GTA star to come back to the Leafs ala Tavares but we shall see on that one (That WHC years ago when McDavid-Matthews were on the same line in Toronto was foreshadowing). Regardless though the key to everything is those 3, this era of consistent playoffs started once those 3 came up full-time.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Well yes, that is what DUBAS did. But notice boston didn't do that with Pastrnak, or Colorado with Mackinnon.

Nylander is currently 20th in points. The player 19th makes 3 mil per year. The player at 21 makes 5 mil per year. If Nylander is a "steal", then those two players are the best contracts in the history of all professional sport.
Just because someone has a better contract doesn't make Nylander's a bad contract.

No one would ever argue Nylander is on the best contract in the NHL.

Thompson, Suziki, Robertson, Makar, both Hughes etc, etc,etc are examples of players getting paid for what they will become instead of for what they have done.

My point was it is how every other sport has operated for a while now and hockey is catching up.

Whether or not this is the right path is up in the air.

Reactions: ToneDog

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
'APPRECIATION' is a big word, happens every time.
Can you spell it out for us in English?

Bunting - Mattphews - Nylander

Kerfoot - Tavares - Moarner

Jarnkrok - Kampf - Simmonds

Engvall - Holmbergo - Bar

Robustson ⛑️, Clifford , Malgin

Desperately seeking Timo

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well yes, that is what DUBAS did. But notice boston didn't do that with Pastrnak, or Colorado with Mackinnon.
All of them did the exact same thing. Signed players based on what they had shown through their pre-signing period, and how they projected throughout their contract based on that.

Reactions: kb

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Every team is choking on cap. Look at the canucks. I'm not sure what a discount looks like. In any event, the only way out of cap issues for the league is for the leafs to go far in the playoffs. The league revenue will be driven a lot higher and the cap will increase a lot more.
The flat cap of Covid has made a mess out of every team that is in hopes of making a deep run.

I can think of 5 teams off the top of my heaf that have had to dress less than the allowed amount over the past two years.

No one wants an injury but every team has a player or 2 that the burden would be lifted if they would just miss some time.

Great discussion on the other day about is it tougher to be a GM in a pre cap or post cap world.

Consensus was easily post cap is much tougher

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
U let me down last game. No vote for u against Rangers!

Kidding . He is great hope he nets some goals soon again. Did not expect him to be this good this year.

Like his suddle goalcelebrations.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
we barely agree lmao but this is spot f***ing on

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Nylander is currently 20th in points. The player 19th makes 3 mil per year. The player at 21 makes 5 mil per year. If Nylander is a "steal", then those two players are the best contracts in the history of all professional sport.

Pasta, Drai, Tage, J Robertson, MacK, Schief were/are steals. Nylander was garbage in year 1, better in each of the following years. Paid for the time he sat out and came in out of shape. I hardly call that a steal. His next one needs to be a "steal", but it won't be.
Mack is not a steal of a contract, at the time he signed he was deemed overpaid and they even moved him to RW bc Avs thought he couldn’t play C.
Pasta broke out after he signed his contract. If anything Bruins did well signing him to an extension before setting him with Bergeron and Marchand.
Drai was paid 8.5mil and at that time it was more to do with him putting up better numbers in the playoffs than McD while McD signed for 12.5mil-close to 25% more than the highest contract at that time.
Schief also signed before he broke out but if you ask me, he is someone who can put up points but can’t really play the 200ft game. He should be the best player leading the Jets, but I think Wheeler and Connor are better than him not to mention the streaky Ehlers.
Tage and J Rob really had one great season and they cash in. They are being paid below their future contract value but certainly not a steal.

Honestly, if the Leafs actually done something in the playoffs over the past 4 years or even winning a Cup or two, there will be none of these overpaid contract talks. And say Willie, AM, MM, JT, and Reilly all signed for 6mil less collectively. It doesn’t mean the player or players Dubas or Lou signed will help them as that money could be use on Marleau, JVR or whoever that just as good as someone like Kerfoot, Holl or Engvall.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Honestly, if the Leafs actually done something in the playoffs over the past 4 years or even winning a Cup or two, there will be none of these overpaid contract talks. And say Willie, AM, MM, JT, and Reilly all signed for 6mil less collectively. It doesn’t mean the player or players Dubas or Lou signed will help them as that money could be use on Marleau, JVR or whoever that just as good as someone like Kerfoot, Holl or Engvall.

even without winning the cup, if the once in a century pandemic didn't happen i don't think anybody would be talking about their contracts.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014

Colorado 100% did that with Mackinnon

There was 0 argument Mackinnon was worth 6.3 million when he signed. At the time he was a 50 point center who was struggling to live up to the hype. They overpaid him with the expectation he would grow into the contract, and they were correct as he absolutely destroyed it

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
undercover superstar in the sense that he has always been lost in the shadows of Mitch and Auston. Realistically though he is every bit as talented. He has that exact same ability to take over games. Enigmatic early on in his career, but he's been sort of a model of consistency for the last 3 seasons.

From everything I've ever read on him he works his bag off, even though his personality suggests otherwise at times.

Really hoping we can make him a career Leaf, alongside Mitch and Auston.
I wouldn't say 3 seasons, but certainly almost 2 now, I was still cooking up deals for him at seasons end a couple of years ago lol.

Career Leaf? I certainly hope so, but the awful truth is that I think the Leafs will have to make a decision on one of them. It's however unfortunately a reality of cap limitations. One of them will go and the return will make the Leafs an even more competitive team. It should give them more choices if anything.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I wouldn't say 3 seasons, but certainly almost 2 now, I was still cooking up deals for him at seasons end a couple of years ago lol.

Career Leaf? I certainly hope so, but the awful truth is that I think the Leafs will have to make a decision on one of them. It's however unfortunately a reality of cap limitations. One of them will go and the return will make the Leafs an even more competitive team. It should give them more choices if anything.
I don't know about that. Big increases to cap supposed to come and almost the entire Leaf team outside of Rielly and Jarnkrok are going to be RFA/UFA in the next two summers.

Colorado has also managed to keep Landeskog, Makar, MacK and Rantanen and Tampa locked in Stamkos, Kuch, Point and Hedman, and also just signed Sergachev to 8.5/yr.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Colorado 100% did that with Mackinnon

There was 0 argument Mackinnon was worth 6.3 million when he signed. At the time he was a 50 point center who was struggling to live up to the hype. They overpaid him with the expectation he would grow into the contract, and they were correct as he absolutely destroyed it
Mackinnon had one bad elc year, but on the other 2 seasons he paced for 24 goals/60 points per 82.

6 mil seems right in the ballpark.

If we apply your logic to Matthews, we made a proven 69 career high point player the highest paid in the league (when term is included). That seems pretty silly.

But I'm out of this thread. When I first posted in it I thought we were in a Dubas contract thread, not an appreciation thread. So I don't want to further clutter it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad