Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Nylander at anything less than $10 million a year is a discount with his current play. That will be a Draisaitl level contract if they can lock him up under $9 million.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
That would be great but why? Shirley he must value himself closer to Marner and Matthews, perhaps not equals but not that far behind.
It’s just his number in dollar form . I could just as easily have wrote 9.88 or 10.088 or something. It wasn’t an overly serious guess but comps exist in the 8 /9 range

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That would be great but why? Shirley he must value himself closer to Marner and Matthews, perhaps not equals but not that far behind.

Because other teams are going to look to pay him the market rate for similar 1st line wingers.

And I don't think you can make a market rate case for Nylander being an 11+ mil guy. Nobody around the league is going to look to pay him close to what Matthews is going to get. And I say this as a huge fan of the player

Reactions: saffronleaf

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Because other teams are going to look to pay him the market rate for similar 1st line wingers.

And I don't think you can make a market rate case for Nylander being an 11+ mil guy. Nobody around the league is going to look to pay him close to what Matthews is going to get. And I say this as a huge fan of the player
Hmmm. Maybe it's a good thing we stuck him with JT for so long, and didn't play him at 2C. :sarcasm:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He is better than EP though.

I was shocked when I checked EP's stats, he's never finished ppg in any of his seasons.
He is two years younger. The same time Nylander started to be better. Nylander was ppg first last year. Nylander might be better but no way that he is way better then EP overall.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
On another team Nylander might have been getting top line minutes.

I do like the current lines, Matthews and Nylander both have an ability to pick a spot, so tougher for a keeper to cheat on Matthews.

I'd like to see 8*8.8, with, like Forsberg, full NMC for 6, partial for 2.
Front load bonus, unlike Forsberg, present value money ...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
2014 draft year ... for perspective forwards only

1671984252049.png

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would be comfortable giving William Nylander the $9.25 million Mikko Rantanen deal or slightly more, but ideally that's under $10 million. Whatever significant cap challenges we have are only for one season, until the $11 million Tavares deal comes off the books. And I think Tavares would not command nearly that kind of money if he wanted to stay, so you'd be reversing the JT and Willie contracts essentially.

Question is what has to shake loose in the short term to keep Willie here? I think Brodie is off the books that year, and Muzzin won't be a factor due to his LTIR, but we've spent his salary conceptually a few times over already. Samsonov, Murray, Liljegren, Sandin and Matthews would all be beyond their current deals too. That cap can't go up quickly enough if the intent is to keep the band together.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Willy is flirting with a 48-50 season and 90+ points putting him in line for his next $11 mil contract ask like his teammates.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm available. lol

Go for it!

Worst case scenario, I see an internal rough budget of $18 million or so for Willie and JT as a continuation of what we pay them now, but maybe they switch AAV's, give or take. Only question for me here is how do you stickhandle around Willie and Matthews raises for that one pinch point season during JT's last season? Maybe that's a bit of a survival mode season? Or maybe they make a decision on Rielly or something.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Go for it!

Worst case scenario, I see an internal rough budget of $18 million or so for Willie and JT as a continuation of what we pay them now, but maybe they switch AAV's, give or take. Only question for me here is how do you stickhandle around Willie and Matthews raises for that one pinch point season during JT's last season? Maybe that's a bit of a survival mode season? Or maybe they make a decision on Rielly or something.

With Matthews and Nylander due up together next season and then JT and Mitch together the year after, I would guess most Leaf fans would suggest keeping the 3 Amigo's at the expense of JT if that is what it came down to.

However I suspect Leafs main focus will be on AM, and that Nylander might want to see what the market price for him is.

If Tavares was the one up first, it would be easier to stickhandle around this situation.

However the better Willy plays the higher his price goes, and he may price his way out of TO if he wants top $$$.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With Matthews and Nylander due up together next season and then JT and Mitch together the year after, I would guess most Leaf fans would suggest keeping the 3 Amigo's at the expense of JT if that is what it came down to.

However I suspect Leafs main focus will be on AM, and that Nylander might want to see what the market price for him is.

If Tavares was the one up first, it would be easier to stickhandle around this situation.

However the better Willy plays the higher his price goes, and he may price his way out of TO if he wants top $$$.

I think it would just have to be one difficult cap year to stickhandle the contract overlap. So Matthews and Nylander would soak up the cap increase, maybe Brodie is gone or back at a reduced rate and when Tavares' deal is up he gets a healthy haircut.

The alternative where Nylander is traded for futures or walks and then you're stuck with a 34 year old Tavares on his last season just leaves the program too exposed. We would probably be worse without an overpaid Nylander than without him but a more balanced cap for that one year.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
I'm honestly not sure where I see the crunch. I think barring success and failures this post-season, you could re-sign Matthews, Marner, and Nylander for a combined $39M per season in 2024-2025 and $39M onwards without much issue.

2024: Marner $11M, Matthews $15M, Nylander $10M
2025: Marner: $14M, Matthews $15M, Nylander $10M

Cap will go up slightly in 2023-2024, but probably a solid $3-4M in 2024-2025 given current macroeconomic indicators. But even without that, internally within the roster, there's a lot of wiggle room:

- Goaltending: Samsonov or Murray at $5M AAV with Woll as backup in 2024-2025
- Defence: Muzzin, Brodie off the books to offset raises to Sandin , Liljegren, 2 #5s signing for $2-3M each, plus one prospect as #6 (Niemela, Hollowell, Kokonen, Kral, etc) to go along with Reilly
- Forwards: Kerfoot, Engvall, Tavares (unless re-signed for $5M AAV), etc. are all well-gone and replaced by Knies/SDA/Robertson/etc. on rookie contracts.

2024 - 2025 Season

Goaltending: $6M
Defence: $20.5M
Forwards: $59M for remaining 9 ($39M for Big 3)

Total Cap: $86M (+4.2% vs. 2022-2023)

Goaltending ($6M):
- Samsonov/Murray $5M, Woll $1M

Defence ($20.5M):
- Reilly: $7.5M
- Sandin/Liljegren: $3.5M x 2
- #5s: $2.5M x 2
- Prospect #6: $1M

Forwards ($59M):
- MMN: $36M
- Jarnkrok: $2M
- $21M for balance of 10 players

Reactions: saffronleaf

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I prefer to just wait until that day and see what happens. I have no idea how people still have the energy to discuss this shit after 2019. All throughout the big 3's ELC's it was jabbered about non-stop about how we can't afford them and it's still unreal how much we've had to hear about it throughout Willy and Matthews' extensions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad