Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't know about that. Big increases to cap supposed to come and almost the entire Leaf team outside of Rielly and Jarnkrok are going to be RFA/UFA in the next two summers.

Colorado has also managed to keep Landeskog, Makar, MacK and Rantanen and Tampa locked in Stamkos, Kuch, Point and Hedman, and also just signed Sergachev to 8.5/yr.
Tampa isn't like the other kids, their tax situation and weather makes for a situation that players say "yeah I know it's 3 million less, but in the end this is Florida and you can't beat it."

Colorado stars signed for a little less and they had timing on their side, whereas all the Leafs signings came in a 2 year grouping. That said when 23/24 rolls around the Avs are going to have to do some scrambling trying to keep it together.

No matter though and for what it's worth, I think Florida has become "the!" destination for UFA players, although the agents probably would rather have their clients sign elsewhere as 3% of 11.6m is always going to be bigger then 3% of 9.5m if you know what I mean.

Although I don't think the so called Florida tax advantage is going to work much longer as players still see other players being paid a higher number than they're getting paid, and for the players that bigger number is all that matters.

As for the Leafs even if the cap climbs 7m in the next 3yrs, the guy that gets into the office and signs first is going to want most of it. It's just how it works.

The players greed is compounded by the agents greed which is aggravated by the media daydreaming about the multimillions that they think the player should get.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Tampa isn't like the other kids, their tax situation and weather makes for a situation that players say "yeah I know it's 3 million less, but in the end this is Florida and you can't beat it."

Colorado stars signed for a little less and they had timing on their side, whereas all the Leafs signings came in a 2 year grouping. That said when 23/24 rolls around the Avs are going to have to do some scrambling trying to keep it together.

No matter though and for what it's worth, I think Florida has become "the!" destination for UFA players, although the agents probably would rather have their clients sign elsewhere as 3% of 11.6m is always going to be bigger then 3% of 9.5m if you know what I mean.

Although I don't think the so called Florida tax advantage is going to work much longer as players still see other players being paid a higher number than they're getting paid, and for the players that bigger number is all that matters.

As for the Leafs even if the cap climbs 7m in the next 3yrs, the guy that gets into the office and signs first is going to want most of it. It's just how it works.

The players greed is compounded by the agents greed which is aggravated by the media daydreaming about the multimillions that they think the player should get.
Tampa gets that benefit for sure but regardless having $54M spent on 6 guys is nothing to scoff at, I forgot Vasi also makes 9.5M/yr. That's 65% of their available cap room, the numbers are the numbers. Cirelli's extension will see him make 6.25M/yr, and Cernak also jumped up to 5.2M/yr. They are likely losing Stamkos summer 2024 unless he comes back on a serious discount.

What the Leafs have done well is that they haven't committed any big money to 'mid level' type players, and they were able to lock in Rielly long-term for below market value. The only bottom six guy making more than 3M is Kerfoot and he is UFA this summer, and the rest of the bottom six outside of Jarnkrok is a free agent this year. Once Tavares is off the books in two years I imagine they will either let him walk or he comes back on a discount deal as well which should hopefully be enough to keep all of Nylander, Marner, Matthews.

If the Leafs can avoid committing big money to a goalie they should actually be in great shape to afford everyone. I hope they can lock in Samsonov cheap long-term and then Murray will be TBD next season.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Hoping people are finally realizing it's worth putting majority of our cap where we did.

Parity has hit a point where we should add one more impact guy and bring back "yolo" for everyone else. We yolo'd too soon we are still one impact player short. Look at the standings playoffs are still a crap shoot even though we rarely lose in the regular season.

Reading between the lines this is a Nylander thread so what I'm saying is pay the man. We are adding impact guys not removing.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't know about that. Big increases to cap supposed to come and almost the entire Leaf team outside of Rielly and Jarnkrok are going to be RFA/UFA in the next two summers.

Colorado has also managed to keep Landeskog, Makar, MacK and Rantanen and Tampa locked in Stamkos, Kuch, Point and Hedman, and also just signed Sergachev to 8.5/yr.
Well those major increases would be great, but at the GMs meeting the owners have made it known that they want the back escrow that is still owed cleared up first, and then there's problem of only, at least as it was reported, only 14 or the 32 teams are currently operating in the black. That and the escrow still owed makes that hill a lot steeper than it was initially thought. It was nothing more than fanciful whimsy of the chatter saying the cap rising up another 10m by 2024, maybe by 2025 but that's not for sure either.

Tampa isn't like the other kids, their tax situation and weather makes for a situation that players say "yeah I know it's 3 million less (as an example), but in the end, this is Florida and you can't beat it all that it offers"

Colorado stars signed for a little less and they also had timing on their side, as the contracts maturing 2 and 3 years apart whereas all the Leafs contracts happen within two years, and the first lion to the carcass always eats the most.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Well those major increases would be great, but at the GMs meeting the owners have made it known that they want the back escrow that is still owed cleared up first, and then there's problem of only, at least as it was reported, only 14 or the 32 teams are currently operating in the black. That and the escrow still owed makes that hill a lot steeper than it was initially thought. It was nothing more than fanciful whimsy of the chatter saying the cap rising up another 10m by 2024, maybe by 2025 but that's not for sure either.

Tampa isn't like the other kids, their tax situation and weather makes for a situation that players say "yeah I know it's 3 million less (as an example), but in the end, this is Florida and you can't beat it all that it offers"

Colorado stars signed for a little less and they also had timing on their side, as the contracts maturing 2 and 3 years apart whereas all the Leafs contracts happen within two years, and the first lion to the carcass always eats the most.
mate, you responded to that comment already. I wrote a follow up just above :laugh:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Marner has been great, but Nylander and Matthews together this year have been unreal. Better throw in Bunting to that mix.

Would love JT and another winger so Mitch has someone to play with and the Leafs can really soar.

Not sure anyone would have predicted Willy to be tied with Matthews and 1 point back of Mitch at Christmas. Nor leading the team in goals

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Does anyone know exactly when Keefe switched the top 2 lines?

I am guessing 20 games.

In those 20 games

WN 15 goals 26 points
AM 11 goals 25 points
MM 11 goals 24 points
JT 6 goals 16 points

Pretty huge stretch with WN

Reactions: saffronleaf

Mar 26, 2010
To 5 RW in the NHL! Don’t @ me, he is the best Swede forward in the league. Way better than Pettersson.

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Now on pace for 48 goals, 94 points. It's not a stretch to think the Leafs could have 2 50 goalscorers once Matthews starts to heat up again.

I think as Matthews continues to heat up Nylander may end up with more assists than goals. Meaning hopefully something like forty goals, 50a.

But who knows, so far this season, I think Nylander has been our most reliable shooter. When he's about to shoot, the odds have been good.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
Two of his league wide comparables (Fiala and Forsberg) just signed contract extensions for 7.8mil and 8.5 mil against the current cap.

I doubt Nylander views himself (or his agent for that matter) on par with the best goal scoring centres in the NHL as a winger.

I expect he'll be in for a raise, but I suspect it'll be much closer to 2 mil than 4+ mil (with the caveat that the aav will be influenced by the cap raises).
Fiala is a good comp, but Forsberg plays for a tax advantaged team and isn't.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Fiala is a good comp, but Forsberg plays for a tax advantaged team and isn't.
what is a tax advantage team? I hope you realize the leafs take advantage of certain tax loopholes too (bonus earnings in place of pay out for Matthews etc). Being a CPA and seeing all the misinformation about tax savings for teams in Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Arizona etc is kind of frustrating. NHL players do not pay taxes like we do they employ some of the smartest CPAs I have ever met to essentially make tax bills for players nil. Toronto isn't even the highest tax jurisdiction in the NHL, try places like Montreal, NY (3 layers of tax), California etc.

Brian Burke did a really good lecture on the vehicles players use to essentially tax plan away their tax bills; it was worth the watch just to claim it as a CPD lol.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
what is a tax advantage team? I hope you realize the leafs take advantage of certain tax loopholes too (bonus earnings in place of pay out for Matthews etc). Being a CPA and seeing all the misinformation about tax savings for teams in Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Arizona etc is kind of frustrating. NHL players do not pay taxes like we do they employ some of the smartest CPAs I have ever met to essentially make tax bills for players nil. Toronto isn't even the highest tax jurisdiction in the NHL, try places like Montreal, NY (3 layers of tax), California etc.

Brian Burke did a really good lecture on the vehicles players use to essentially tax plan away their tax bills; it was worth the watch just to claim it as a CPD lol.

Heard different arguments on taxation.

A player rep has an article, probably a search could bring it up, talking about how he has to explain where all their money goes.

You can check different taxation rates so if you are already saving 20% without going into details your accountant has less work to do.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That would be great but why? Shirley he must value himself closer to Marner and Matthews, perhaps not equals but not that far behind.
I'm sure he understands that his valuation is currently a ways away from Matthews/Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad