Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
WOW WOW WOW I just love da unaltered flat out blow bye speed from Willy .. he took Tarasenko, who has wheels himself, to da cleaners .. rinse and washed man love it .. and then great skill at end with deke and shot .. Willy is our only 5 star player .. Matty is close but not at same pay bracket on wheels

Reactions: IPS

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Willy is already playing on his discount contract right now. He’s going to deserve a raise to make up for being underpaid relative to the other big four guys.
My feelings exactly.

Its always seen as the BIG 4 and 1/2 the Cap for 4 forwards ... BUT 3 of them make $11 mil and Nylander gets only $7 mil and he had to hold out and miss time to get that amount, to make $4 mil less per season.

If Nylander continues to hang with the other 3 teammates statistically, he is going to ask for his fair slice of the pie this time to stay., otherwise the UFA market will provide the answer. IMO

PS. His father Micheal Nylander changed teams when he also didn't feel he was getting paid fairly.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
WOW WOW WOW I just love da unaltered flat out blow bye speed from Willy .. he took Tarasenko, who has wheels himself, to da cleaners .. rinse and washed man love it .. and then great skill at end with deke and shot .. Willy is our only 5 star player .. Matty is close but not at same pay bracket on wheels
Tarasenko used to be fast, he looks a little beefy nowadays lol.

This GW goal is the kinda play that Willie has always had the potential to make, yet the effort level was sometimes lacking. Now that he's putting it all together he's quieting a lot of his critics. My only worry is how do we keep him, every great play his price is skyrocketing.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Tarasenko used to be fast, he looks a little beefy nowadays lol.

This GW goal is the kinda play that Willie has always had the potential to make, yet the effort level was sometimes lacking. Now that he's putting it all together he's quieting a lot of his critics. My only worry is how do we keep him, every great play his price is skyrocketing.
Da fastest guys, with crazy skill too, always get paid .. look at mcjesus and MAC .. SPEED kills especially in playoff hockey where Willy really excels for that reason

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To simplify the equation let's think of it like this:

Matthews: $11.6 million -> $15.0 million, $3.4 million increase
Nylander: $6.96 million -> $10.0 million, $3.04 million increase

The question is when comparing stats is there a $5 mil difference between Auston and Willy?

Willy took nearly $5 mil less than Auston last time which perhaps because its Matthews might be reconcile that difference with Rocket and Hart etc.

However Willy compared to Marner and Tavares was making $4 mil less ... Will Nylander take $10 mil knowing Marner is going to get $14 mil?

Willy has gotten the short-end of the stick financially and something tells me he is not likely to be the one that is willing to take millions less again.

1672249171349.png

One of these players is making $4 mil or more less than 3 others,

It would be hard to look at those stats and say Matthews $15 mil, Marner $14 mil, Nylander $10 mil and JT paycut $7 mil is how this will play out. But that is what it appears this thread is suggesting.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If Matthews had Willy's skating he'd be better than McDavid offensively.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The question is when comparing stats is there a $5 mil difference between Auston and Willy?

Willy took nearly $5 mil less than Auston last time which perhaps because its Matthews might be reconcile that difference with Rocket and Hart etc.

However Willy compared to Marner and Tavares was making $4 mil less ... Will Nylander take $10 mil knowing Marner is going to get $14 mil?

Willy has gotten the short-end of the stick financially and something tells me he is not likely to be the one that is willing to take millions less again.

View attachment 627412

It would be hard to look at those stats and say Matthews $15 mil, Marner $14 mil, Nylander $10 mil and JT paycut $7 mil is how this will play out. But that is what it appears this thread is suggesting.

They are all going to agree to take 12mm each, except Tavares who'll take 9.1.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

View attachment 627412

You might be right, there may not be a $5 million difference between Matthews and Nylander when all is said and done, both on the ice and in terms of salary. Who knows, maybe Matthews could be more team friendly next go round and we can keep the band together.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
On their current contracts, Nylander has performed at a 31 goal, 70 point pace with average defense, and Matthews has performed at a 59 goal, 104 point pace with elite defense, so the answer to your question is pretty obviously yes, but the real answer is Matthews isn't getting 15m.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You might be right, there may not be a $5 million difference between Matthews and Nylander when all is said and done, both on the ice and in terms of salary. Who knows, maybe Matthews could be more team friendly next go round and we can keep the band together.

Matthews hits UFA younger than most stars with significantly more cash in the bank (50+ mil in signing bonuses sitting and growing as of today), I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a "cheaper" short term deal to try to win and take over the Leafs all-time goals/points records before taking his retirement contract with an American team. Guy's going to clear well over 100mil in career earnings even if he doesn't try to get every penny he's worth for 2-4 years. Hell, he'd be close to 100 mil in career earnings before he even signs his age ~29-30 retirement deal in this scenario.

Even if he went insane and signed a 4x10 he'd end up with 98 mil in pre-tax/escrow career earnings and still be young enough to get an 7/8x13+ out of someone for another cool 100mil.

This is also ignoring all the endorsements and whatever financial incentives living God status has in Toronto if he takes a slight discount and they even just go deep one year, let alone win.

I don't know if going 8x15 + whatever contract he gets at 35-36 (let's say another ~20 mil) for ~240mil in career earnings really changes his financial situation when it's the 50+ already in the bank earning compounding interest that's going to be doing the majority of the legwork for his great great grandkids.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
On their current contracts, Nylander has performed at a 31 goal, 70 point pace with average defense, and Matthews has performed at a 59 goal, 104 point pace with elite defense, so the answer to your question is pretty obviously yes, but the real answer is Matthews isn't getting 15m.

Nylander won't be getting paid for what he did 2-3 years ago.
And Matthews already is getting paid for what he's doing today.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They are all going to agree to take 12mm each, except Tavares who'll take 9.1.
From Nylander's POV this is making him whole and what his father Michael might be suggesting. :wg:

Matthews $11.640 mil ---> $12 mil = + $360k raise
Marner $10.903 mil ------> $12 mil = + $1.07 mil raise
Nylander $6.96 mil -------> $12 mil = + $5.04 mil raise
Tavares $11 mil ----------> $9.1 mil = - $1.09 mil paycut

This corrects the over-payments of AM & MM & JT on past deals.

You would make a good Leafs next GM, and since you're contemplating retirement from current job, would be available to help sort this mess out. :)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
From Nylander's POV this is making him whole and what his father Michael might be suggesting. :wg:

You would make a good Leafs next GM, and since you're contemplating retirement from current job, would be available to help sort this mess out. :)
And less stress ...

:popcorn:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Nylander won't be getting paid for what he did 2-3 years ago.
And Matthews already is getting paid for what he's doing today.
The point is that these players aren't equal caliber, and they won't be paid as equal caliber, even if some people try to misrepresent them as such by looking exclusively at point totals in a 30-something game sample.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I think Tavares might be slightly overpaid at $9.1 million this season, so in 3x years time it would be a little lower than that. Or a lot lower.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The point is that these players aren't equal caliber, and they won't be paid as equal caliber, even if some people try to misrepresent them as such by looking exclusively at point totals in a 30-something game sample.

You really think that is the case?

Maybe looking too hard at the situation?

IMO the point people are making is that if Nylander keeps this going, he isn't signing a cheap deal with the Leafs.

There isn't going to be 5mm difference between them unless they're on different teams and Matthews handcuffed the Leafs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Best player on the team. Look over the stats and it's pretty obvious he is the man. I said he could end up being the best on the team at some point. As of now I would say it's true. If only it's for a half a season or a season. Nylander has been a beast so far.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You really think that is the case?

Maybe looking too hard at the situation?

IMO the point people are making is that if Nylander keeps this going, he isn't signing a cheap deal with the Leafs.

There isn't going to be 5mm difference between them unless they're on different teams and Matthews handcuffed the Leafs.

I always thought Nylander had the physical skills to be every bit as successful as Matthews and Marner (and Pastrnak), but for whatever reason the production lagged behind and he probably wouldn't manage to catch up. He sort of fell out of the Big 4 concept with Tavares and it ended up being the Big 2 and Medium 2 over the past little while.

Well, it looks like 2022-23 is the year where Nylander is catching up and Matthews is having a bit of a down year individually. Small sample size but if this trend continues over the next season or two then that $5 million delta really goes away. Good problems to have, but the team needs to be careful when stickhandling around the 2024-25 season, the last of JT's contract. After that I think it's smooth sailing.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Regardless of if he continues on this 94 point pace through the rest of the season, he's not going to make as much as Matthews. Contracts are based on more than point total in the most recent season. His contract isn't skyrocketing hundreds of thousands of dollars with every point he scores, despite the fearmongering that's taking place.

Is it going to be "cheap"? No. It's a UFA contract for a really, really good player, but he'll be manageable within our cap.
There isn't going to be a 5m difference between Matthews and him, but that's because Matthews isn't making 15m either.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
While Matthews deal was 3 years too short, however based on his accomplishments one could say he is earning his deal and Nylander at $7 mil is getting fair market value.

I'd suspect Nylander might believe his other 2 teammates deals Marner and Tavares are the ones that are shortchanging him and going to impact his next contact more than Auston.

Ny;lander should ask to go last this time and not first, and see first what AM and MM and JT are getting and then get slotted accordingly.

Yeah, I wouldn't tie up 9.1 into Tavares on his retirement contract.

I'd go a lot lower.

Heavy feet don't get lighter with age.

Tavares should get his jersey #91 every 2 years combined $4.55 mil X 4 mil for his retirement deal.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I always thought Nylander had the physical skills to be every bit as successful as Matthews and Marner (and Pastrnak), but for whatever reason the production lagged behind and he probably wouldn't manage to catch up. He sort of fell out of the Big 4 concept with Tavares and it ended up being the Big 2 and Medium 2 over the past little while.

Well, it looks like 2022-23 is the year where Nylander is catching up and Matthews is having a bit of a down year individually. Small sample size but if this trend continues over the next season or two then that $5 million delta really goes away. Good problems to have, but the team needs to be careful when stickhandling around the 2024-25 season, the last of JT's contract. After that I think it's smooth sailing.

He was somewhat lazy and played scared half the time. He is more of a physical specimen than Marner. Lacks the brute strength of Matthews but when applying himself he is pretty much a complete player. It shows up in the playoffs some as well as can be seen by his performances relative to peers.

He is playing at his potential this season for the first time.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So far there are only two players in the league that is making 12mil or over. McD who is at least a level above the next tier of players and Mack who some might argue is the closest player to McD in the league or at the very least the few players who are the next tier below McD in the league who just led his team to a SC.
My bet is AM being the next player to make 12mil plus but unless he wins the Cup, it wont be more than Mack or even McD.
To say that Willie and MM will be making 12mil will take a lot of improvement on their plays or Leafs winning the Cup. Actually, I see MM might be able to do that due to the potential increase of the cap when he can sign(a few seasons later) but certainly not Willie by this coming off season.

If the Leafs win the Cup this season, I could care less if they all signs for 12-15mil and have a whole bunch of league minimum players playing. Heck, all it takes is a bad season or injury to one of them and the Leafs will be in tank mode for the next Connor or Wayne, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad