Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Approaching mid-season and he's still tied with Matthews and Marner in points with more goals. Dude is seeing dollar signs guaranteed. It will be difficult negotiations.

Reactions: glue

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Approaching mid-season and he's still tied with Matthews and Marner in points with more goals. Dude is seeing dollar signs guaranteed. It will be difficult negotiations.
Having an incredible year and if history has taught us anything it’s that he will fight for every dollar he can get.

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Fortunately contracts arent usually determined by players hottest stretch.

Why Kadri ended up not being paid as a 90-100 point player during his most recent contract year.deapiyebhaving an absolutely amazing season and then hitting the open market for a full bidding war

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Stop worrying about the money and just enjoy that we have three excellent players on our team.

At the very least it's likely worth waiting until something tangible gets reported to the media to actually discuss beyond ideal speculation.

Personally I'm looking forward to watching him be among the teams top playoff guys yet again. Can worry about contracts in the offseason when negotiations can actually begin

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Why Kadri ended up not being paid as a 90-100 point player during his most recent contract year.deapiyebhaving an absolutely amazing season and then hitting the open market for a full bidding war
Nylander will be 27 whereas Kadri was 32. Nylander has sustained these numbers for a few years now, while that was Kadri's first season above 61. There's of course a limit to what Nylander will get paid, but he will get a pretty penny if he wants it.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander will be 27 whereas Kadri was 32. Nylander has sustained these numbers for a few years now, while that was Kadri's first season above 61. There's of course a limit to what Nylander will get paid, but he will get a pretty penny if he wants it.

He's definitely looking for a nice payday.

But he's also statistically been a 70-80 point guy (or at least paced for that) during his last several seasons more so than a 90+ point guy

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
and still bears mentioning ...
average time on ice for the big 3

nylander - 18:31
matthews - 20:18
marner - 21:16

hm - tavares - 17:17

Reactions: Auston Escobar

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Great for Willy. I always knew he was ELITE and had this type of potential. He's not close to his ceiling yet so that must be scary for the competition but amazing for Leafs fans.

Leads Leafs in goals and points.

1672637762892.png

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Age was a factor in why Kadri wasn’t paid as a 90 point player. He’s 5 years older than Nylander.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
and still bears mentioning ...
average time on ice for the big 3

nylander - 18:31
matthews - 20:18
marner - 21:16

hm - tavares - 17:17
Since Mitch's point streak ended, the total ice time had been more evenly distributed between the top three.

Matthews - 20:27
Marner - 20:19
Nylander - 19:32
Bunting - 17:40
Tavares - 16:44

Marner is the only one of these with PK time. Looking at just ES and PP:

Matthews - 16:59 - 3:27
Marner - 14:25 - 3:33
Nylander - 16:14 - 3:17
Bunting - 14:45 - 2:56
Tavares - 13:31 - 3:14

JT is still getting lots of PP time, as that's where he's most effective, but his ES is down as the second line struggles and the top line produces.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander is benefitting playing with Matthews, as does every Leaf player.
Probably helps playing with a better skater when you're an north-south player.
How many players on any team would not benefit from playing with Matthews?

But yes, when you're as fast as Nylander is, a slow linemate is a real handicap.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
How many players on any team would not benefit from playing with Matthews?

But yes, when you're as fast as Nylander is, a slow linemate is a real handicap.

Yeah Nylander's game just meshes much better with Matthews. Of course Matthews is better than JT, but Nylander is so smooth in the neutral zone and can attack with speed. JT just plays a much heavier game. Nylander can play that game too but he's much better playing a speed game. What makes Marner so dynamic is he can play the speed game, but he doesn't look out of place playing the slower more methodical game that JT plays.

We desperately need a mainstay on the 2nd LW position though. Mitch/Nylander can only do so much playing with JT.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Yeah Nylander's game just meshes much better with Matthews. Of course Matthews is better than JT, but Nylander is so smooth in the neutral zone and can attack with speed. JT just plays a much heavier game. Nylander can play that game too but he's much better playing a speed game. What makes Marner so dynamic is he can play the speed game, but he doesn't look out of place playing the slower more methodical game that JT plays.

We desperately need a mainstay on the 2nd LW position though. Mitch/Nylander can only do so much playing with JT.
Jarnkrok is doing a nice job in that role, as he has like 8 in 8 since the injury, but ideally I’d like a more consistent offensive threat on that line and have jarnkrok on a third line that’s a checking/matchup line

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
3 point night.

Leading the team in points and goals.
It seems like this season has been a massive Marner love-fest. All season long, everyone is constantly raving about how Marner is so awesome. 1st team all-star, best season ever, best all-time Maple Leaf when he's done, franchise player, better than Matthews blah blah blah but it looks to me like Nylander is just quietly going about his business and outplaying him.

Impressive!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Isn't that what he's doing now?
I guess I took your 'not close to his ceiling' comment too literally.
He's never had either a PPG season (though he came close once) or a 40 goal season so he most certainly is not a perennial 40 goal PPG player at this time.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
It seems like this season has been a massive Marner love-fest. All season long, everyone is constantly raving about how Marner is so awesome. 1st team all-star, best season ever, best all-time Maple Leaf when he's done, franchise player, better than Matthews blah blah blah but it looks to me like Nylander is just quietly going about his business and outplaying him.

Impressive!
I love that we have them both, and two brilliant centres to go along with them.

I'm loving this year so much I may get a retro jersey custom with "Regular Season" on the back

:)

• Haha
Reactions: Gary Nylund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad