Bill the Thrill: Nylander appreciation thread

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So far there are only two players in the league that is making 12mil or over. McD who is at least a level above the next tier of players and Mack who some might argue is the closest player to McD in the league or at the very least the few players who are the next tier below McD in the league who just led his team to a SC.
My bet is AM being the next player to make 12mil plus but unless he wins the Cup, it wont be more than Mack or even McD.
To say that Willie and MM will be making 12mil will take a lot of improvement on their plays or Leafs winning the Cup. Actually, I see MM might be able to do that due to the potential increase of the cap when he can sign(a few seasons later) but certainly not Willie by this coming off season.

If the Leafs win the Cup this season, I could care less if they all signs for 12-15mil and have a whole bunch of league minimum players playing. Heck, all it takes is a bad season or injury to one of them and the Leafs will be in tank mode for the next Connor or Wayne, lol.
AM will get the biggest contract in the league when he signs.

And that's perfectly OK.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So far there are only two players in the league that is making 12mil or over. McD who is at least a level above the next tier of players and Mack who some might argue is the closest player to McD in the league or at the very least the few players who are the next tier below McD in the league who just led his team to a SC.
My bet is AM being the next player to make 12mil plus but unless he wins the Cup, it wont be more than Mack or even McD.
To say that Willie and MM will be making 12mil will take a lot of improvement on their plays or Leafs winning the Cup. Actually, I see MM might be able to do that due to the potential increase of the cap when he can sign(a few seasons later) but certainly not Willie by this coming off season.

If the Leafs win the Cup this season, I could care less if they all signs for 12-15mil and have a whole bunch of league minimum players playing. Heck, all it takes is a bad season or injury to one of them and the Leafs will be in tank mode for the next Connor or Wayne, lol.

AM is performing way below his current contract at the moment. He should be neck and neck with McD constantly otherwise it was always an overpay or a hefty premium for goal scoring.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The question is when comparing stats is there a $5 mil difference between Auston and Willy?

Willy took nearly $5 mil less than Auston last time which perhaps because its Matthews might be reconcile that difference with Rocket and Hart etc.

However Willy compared to Marner and Tavares was making $4 mil less ... Will Nylander take $10 mil knowing Marner is going to get $14 mil?

Willy has gotten the short-end of the stick financially and something tells me he is not likely to be the one that is willing to take millions less again.

View attachment 627412

One of these players is making $4 mil or more less than 3 others,

It would be hard to look at those stats and say Matthews $15 mil, Marner $14 mil, Nylander $10 mil and JT paycut $7 mil is how this will play out. But that is what it appears this thread is suggesting.

There is. Because the first half of the 2022-2023 season isn't going to hold the biggest weight when determining either Matthews or Nylanders next contract.

Nylander only had 20 more total points (80) than Matthews had goals alone (60) last season.....

No GM, be it the Leafs, or any other team is going to look to pay them comparably. And I say this as someone whose probably among Nylanders biggest fans

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
migraines are no joke. hope the tinted visor is helping him.

In all honesty, the migraine issue is probably one of the teams most overlooked stories last season. The fact that Nylander still had the career that he did while suffering to that really speaks to 1) his amazing abilities and 2) his character as a player to fight through something that can devestste others

Nylander is a special player to say the least

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
In all honesty, the migraine issue is probably one of the teams most overlooked stories last season. The fact that Nylander still had the career that he did while suffering to that really speaks to 1) his amazing abilities and 2) his character as a player to fight through something that can devestste others

Nylander is a special player to say the least
I have had both Migraines and broken bones and man it is up there in the pain threshold. The fact the dude was playing through that is INSANE.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There is. Because the first half of the 2022-2023 season isn't going to hold the biggest weight when determining either Matthews or Nylanders next contract.

Nylander only had 20 more total points (80) than Matthews had goals alone (60) last season.....

No GM, be it the Leafs, or any other team is going to look to pay them comparably. And I say this as someone whose probably among Nylanders biggest fans
Fair I agree. Rocket trophies and Hart are worth a lot so give Auston his $15 mil. :)

But now do that same comparison for Nylander to Marner and Tavares and why they're both worth +$4 mil more than Willy.

People might be surprised that Marner and Nylander the past 4 season not just last 40 games alone are not dramatically different,

Marner

1672268585561.png

Totals = 221 games 84 goals 188 assists 272 points = 1.23 PTS/g

Nylander

1672268485563.png

Totals = 235 games 103 goals 118 assests 221 points = 0.94 PTS/g

Those states don't look like a difference of $4 mil !!!

But Nylander's numbers now heading into UFA status compared to when JT became a UFA last time and Leafs gave him $11 mil per 5 years ago.

Tavares

1672269244977.png

Totals = 237 games 98 goals 122 assists 220 points = 0.93 PTS/g

The Leafs gave Tavares $11 mil X 7 years contract 5 years ago and his stats for his last 230+ games then are nearly the same as Nylander's last 230+

That would suggest the minimum Nylander should get is JT last deal of $11 mil X 7 and more depending on what Marner is now seeking on his next deal. IMO

Does Nylander have to switch teams like JT in order to get a comparable contract with comparable stats ????

PS. Generally last 3 years of a contract is used for comparables but because of Covid and shortened years I used last 3 years + current for Marner and Nylander to get to similar 230+ games for evaluation purposes.

Last edited:

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Fair I agree. Rocket trophies and Hart are worth a lot so give Auston his $15 mil. :)

But now do that same comparison for Nylander to Marner and Tavares and why they're both worth +$4 mil more than Willy.

People might be surprised that Marner and Nylander the past 4 season not just last 40 games alone are not dramatically different,

Marner

View attachment 627476

Nylander

View attachment 627475

But Nylander's numbers now heading into UFA status compared to when JT became a UFA last time and Leafs gave him $11 mil per 5 years ago.

Tavares

View attachment 627482

The Leafs gave Tavares $11 mil X 7 years contract 5 years ago and his stats for his last 230+ games then are nearly the same as Nylander's last 230+

That would suggest the minimum Nylander should get is JT last deal of $11 mil X 7 and more depending on what Marner is now seeking on his next deal. IMO

Does Nylander have to switch teams like JT in order to get a comparable contract with comparable stats ????

PS. Generally last 3 years of a contract is used for comparables but because of Covid and shortened years I used last 3 years + current for Marner and Nylander to get to similar 230+ games for evaluation purposes.

first, it's not just about stats. JT was a center, captain, and face of the Islanders in every respect. He carried the team past a round.

nylander is generally considered to be the third or fourth best player on the team, and a winger.

second, salaries for performance tend to increase by an exponential amount. a 50g scorer is more than 5 fifteen goal scorers. generally you pay premium for top talent. so while the difference may be small in absolute terms, in terms of percentile the difference gets larger with every point or goal.

i do think marner was a bit overpaid and nylander a bit underpaid, and it's not the end of the world if nylander demands eleven million if his performance for the rest of the contract warrants that. it's still mainly that one year of JT's deal they'll need to stickhandle around, and I'm confident they will make it happen.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
What in the world are you talking about? You literally posted stats that completely contradict what you're saying.
1.23 P/GP with elite defense and elite PK impact is "dramatically different" than 0.94 P/GP with average defense and no PK.
Except they're not. You've just cherry picked the best sample for Nylander and the worst sample for Tavares, and completely excluded all context. A consistent PPG center, in a lower scoring era, in a worse situation to produce, is not the same as a winger peaking at PPG in a higher scoring era as the secondary driver on his line. To give a bit of perspective, Nylander is 36th in the league in P/GP over the sample you've selected. Tavares was 8th in the league over the same ages.

How amazing it would be if, when our players played well, we could enjoy it, instead of having constant posts pitting him against our other players, and fear-mongering about his contract that he can't even sign yet.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander is on pace for 49 goals and 94 points ...

1672324031158.png

He might be the next Leaf to join the 50 goal club..

In chronological order:

Rick Vaive scored 54 in 1981-82
Rick Vaive scored 51 in 1982-83
Rick Vaive scored 52 in 1983-84
Gary Leeman scored 51 in 1989-90
Dave Andreychuk scored 53 in 1993-94
Auston Matthews scored 70 in 2021-22

• Love
Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Nylander is on pace for 49 goals and 94 points ...

View attachment 627730

He might be the next Leaf to join the 50 goal club..

In chronological order:

Rick Vaive scored 54 in 1981-82
Rick Vaive scored 51 in 1982-83
Rick Vaive scored 52 in 1983-84
Gary Leeman scored 51 in 1989-90
Dave Andreychuk scored 53 in 1993-94
Auston Matthews scored 70 in 2021-22

sixty not 70 but still, would be awesome if willy can get 50g.

my prediction is that with matthews heating up, willy will end up with more assists than goals. more in the ballpark of forty g, 50a.

but 50g would be sweet.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Marner

View attachment 627476

Nylander

View attachment 627475

Tavares

View attachment 627482

Tavares was a centre, (with former 1st overall + Team Canada gold winning pedigree), and played on a team with next to no supporting teammates on the level of Marner + Matthews. Tavares was largely a one man show during those years.

Plus league scoring has been on the whole rising the last several seasons (which wasn't the case while Tavares was with the Islanders)

The chances of a free agent Nylander garnering the same level of interest as Tavares did 5 years ago is pretty much zero imo.

Marner in your post has clearly put up higher numbers over the last several years too.....

Nylanders comparisons will be other 1st line wingers. Not centres like Tavares. Like Flip Forsberg, a guy who had 42 goals and 42 assists in 69 games during his contract year who ended up signing for 8.5 mil. Should Nylander get 3-4 million more than him?

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Why are Matthews and Marner ahead when they all got 42points and same ppg? And he got most goals and higher +- then Marner. What is the most important stat to decide the order?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Why are Matthews and Marner ahead when they all got 42points and same ppg? And he got most goals and higher +- then Marner. What is the most important stat to decide the order?
Just Bettman messing with your head.

When I looked, it was Nylander, Matthews, then Marner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad