Value of: Best Goalie Available - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Anton forsberg.

Reimer for a 1st+Koskinen

Anthony Stolarz. Oilers fans may not remember him overly fondly but he's come into his own in the Ducks org the past three seasons. He isn't going to unseat Gibson but could be a late blooming starter elsewhere. One year left at 950k

Pay the price for Fleury
Maybe a Fleury+Murphy for 1st+Barrie+ kind of deal

Mrazek from the leafs would be a very solid addition. He has had injury issues this year but has been solid especially in his last few games. Mrazek for smith and a 3rd.

Georgiev...

H U S S O!

book it!

Craig Anderson has gotten his annual long-term injury out of the way and has looked pretty darned good when healthy for us.

And he morphs into some sort of crazy-good goalie in the playoffs.

And he'd cost less than the rumored cost for Korpisalo.

Pulju+Koskinen

for

Klingberg + Holtby

Allen ?

His numbers are scary, but the Habs are f***ing brutal.

He's been pretty good for the Habs when he plays this year.

Cost controlled, too.

Kari Lehtonen is a UFA.

Younger and probably better than Smith currently.

If I was Holland I would target Samsonov or Vanecek

I'd give you Demko for Holloway & Broberg

So far we have :

Demko (!)
Ullmark
Samsonov
Vanecek
Lehtonen
Allen
Holtby
Anderson
Georgiev
Mrazek
Husso
Binninton
Stolarz
Reimer
Forsberg
MAF

Am I missing anyone?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It's five weeks until the trade deadline.

The Oilers schedule for the next 2 weeks is brutal. 9 games in 15 days and they're all fairly tough matches:
SJ, LA, ANA, WPG, MIN, TB, FLA, CAR, PHI

Their goalies have a huge workload ahead of them. Injuries should be a legitimate concern. Not to mention exhaustion going into the playoffs, if they make it.

But Smith should be fairly fresh since he's barely played, so maybe this is one of those times he goes on a hot streak.

OTOH, if they go on a losing streak, there's no coach to fire and the season could be lost.

They're going to have to hang tough through these next two weeks to stay in playoff contention and I think that will determine whether they are buyers or sellers.

True... it's a pretty brutal, make it or break it schedule.

Thankfully, the Oilers have had a fire lit under them by the coaching change. They have been a different team in the last two games, noticeably better in the neutral zone and at their own blue line, which should help support the goaltending better.

My concern is that if we get to the TDL in a playoff position, Holland may decide to rest on his laurels and not make a trade. I really do think now is the time to solve the issue once and for all, and I'm hopeful he'll offer plenty of futures for a goalie that can fit within our next-four-years window.

Somewhere, someone must have a "goalie of the future" sitting in the wings as a backup, while they play their under-contract #1. Holland should make that team an offer it can't refuse (like a couple of firsts & a B+ prospect). That would be much better than spending a first on a rental (knowing we'd need to do it again next year given a slim crop of UFAs).

I'm not going to name any names, since I'd be shredded... but if I were a GM with a youngish vet goalie I am comfortable with for the next 3-4 years, I might be willing to trade a young goalie for 1sts and picks which reinforce my team as a contender in the mid-term. And if I'm so confident in the young goalie that I won't trade him, then why not shed cap on the vet goalie and accept a similar offer from Edmonton for him. No point in hoarding goalies when a GM is as desperate as Holland should be.

Reactions: Holy Slapshot

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I was surprised anyone would offer Demko. However if Holland went all-in would a 2022 1st (top 10 protected), Broberg, a 2nd and Koskinen get it done?

I mean, these are divisional rivals and I don't know why Vancouver would move Demko, but if they did would this be a fair offer?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was surprised anyone would offer Demko. However if Holland went all-in would a 2022 1st (top 10 protected), Broberg, a 2nd and Koskinen get it done?

I mean, these are divisional rivals and I don't know why Vancouver would move Demko, but if they did would this be a fair offer?
They arent trading Demko and you are right. Zero chance it happens in division if they wanted to trade him

Although how funny would it be if both Alberta starters were the last two starters of the Canucks? Lol

Reactions: TFHockey

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
True... it's a pretty brutal, make it or break it schedule.

Thankfully, the Oilers have had a fire lit under them by the coaching change. They have been a different team in the last two games, noticeably better in the neutral zone and at their own blue line, which should help support the goaltending better.

My concern is that if we get to the TDL in a playoff position, Holland may decide to rest on his laurels and not make a trade. I really do think now is the time to solve the issue once and for all, and I'm hopeful he'll offer plenty of futures for a goalie that can fit within our next-four-years window.

Somewhere, someone must have a "goalie of the future" sitting in the wings as a backup, while they play their under-contract #1. Holland should make that team an offer it can't refuse (like a couple of firsts & a B+ prospect). That would be much better than spending a first on a rental (knowing we'd need to do it again next year given a slim crop of UFAs).

I'm not going to name any names, since I'd be shredded... but if I were a GM with a youngish vet goalie I am comfortable with for the next 3-4 years, I might be willing to trade a young goalie for 1sts and picks which reinforce my team as a contender in the mid-term. And if I'm so confident in the young goalie that I won't trade him, then why not shed cap on the vet goalie and accept a similar offer from Edmonton for him. No point in hoarding goalies when a GM is as desperate as Holland should be.
Edmonton also still has to play all three of their games vs the Avs. The Oil don’t catch many schedule breaks post all star game.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Edmonton also still has to play all three of their games vs the Avs. The Oil don’t catch many schedule breaks post all star game.
every fan base can play the schedule card. I am not a flames fan but living in Calgary I hear flames fans complaining about the back to backs. Thing is they did not have to play any games missing their studs with covid. So what would they rather have play games without their top line, or play more back to backs? Kind of pick your poison.
I am a kings fan and the kings have not played in 13 days. Do they come out rusty tonight? Or are they well rested and healed?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
every fan base can play the schedule card. I am not a flames fan but living in Calgary I hear flames fans complaining about the back to backs. Thing is they did not have to play any games missing their studs with covid. So what would they rather have play games without their top line, or play more back to backs? Kind of pick your poison.
I am a kings fan and the kings have not played in 13 days. Do they come out rusty tonight? Or are they well rested and healed?
Probably the latter.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Probably the latter.

I hope so but I think you being an oiler fan probably are worried about LA coming out flying and the Oilers coming off a back to back. I am worried about Rust, especially as the kings, who are not on IR, were not banged up anyway.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
6+ years into McDavid’s career and the oilers still don’t want to trade away precious picks for proven talent? The situation is getting dangerous to the point where he and Drai are close to asking out. All assets should be on the table to build a winner, picks and prospects
Absolutely

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Forsberg and Skinner for the rest of the year and Smith as the 3rd string.

Ottawa goes with Murray and Gustavsson/Koskinen for the rest of the year.

Edmonton clears cap and goes after a big fish in the summer.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Forsberg and Skinner for the rest of the year and Smith as the 3rd string.

Ottawa goes with Murray and Gustavsson/Koskinen for the rest of the year.

Edmonton clears cap and goes after a big fish in the summer.

Koskinen is already off the books this off season. So they can go after big fish without acquiring another back up.

I think the goal should be trading for a guy who can be a starter.

Reactions: spaghtti

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Koskinen is already off the books this off season. So they can go after big fish without acquiring another back up.

I think the goal should be trading for a guy who can be a starter.

The point is to get a low risk good goalie now and it's harder to move cap in season.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I'd even go as far as to say the 1st is top 5 protected.

Overall, Demko is as close to untouchable as goalies get though so I don't think it would actually be enough.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Anton forsberg isn't much of an upgrade on what the Oilers already have - too many back ups, not enough starters.
That's the issue. There are a lot of goalies out there. There aren't many goalies that are actually...uh...good. Good goaltending is what is lacking in Edmonton. We have guys to pull on a jersey and try already, ha ha.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
San Jose also had not played in 13 days. They didn't look at all sharp to me.

So maybe the Kings ARE rusty? Beating them and the Ducks moves the Oilers into the thick of the playoff race.
San Jose doesn’t have much of a roster. Kings are a better NHL team. Not there yet but trending in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad