Value of: Best Goalie Available - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Each year, Oilers search for a Goalie at the TDL.

images
Same story year after year. Oilers searching for top 6 forward, top 4 dman and goalie. Insanity

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Stupid question...

I guess the track record says otherwise, but... is it a stupid idea for Edmonton to attempt to trade Smith instead of Koskinen? Or are you guys seriously thinking that you retain Smith because there's a higher chance he randomly becomes good in the playoffs?

I was thinking that something along the lines of sending Smith back to Arizona to make the room for the starter goalie you acquire could make sense.

But, if you seriously cannot access a proper 1G I think it's worth taking a gamble rather than stand pat. In that case, keeping Smith to mentor a younger ish goalie on the cusp of breaking out makes sense.

If I'm the Oilers, if no 1G, I think Vejmelka is someone I'd attempt to buy early to see if he breaks out, but in such a scenario, I think keeping Smith to mentor the goalies would make sense. When the Flames absolutely peppered the dude, I was impressed by his composure. I also wouldn't directly look at his SV%. Dude's tandem/mentor in Arizona is Scott Wedgewood. Nothing against Wedgewood, but that guy is pretty young as well. A guy like Smith could help boost Vejmelka in the same way he did with Rittich and his age could mean injuries are (silver lining) an opportunity for the young guys to get playing time and more time for Smith to heal from injuries and more time to mentor. Even if it's a flash in the pan like Rittich, I think Edmonton fans would be happy with that end result for the coming two seasons if they seriously cannot access any top 15 starter via trade or otherwise. Rittich was relatively close on par with Binnington during the regular season that Binnington got super hot and won the cup. I honestly though both guys were on par with each other and it's strangely coincidental that both guys are struggling at the same time. (Rittich's downfall started earlier though as a mental part of his game and IIRC a portion related a little to him worrying about getting playing time and another contract). It's honestly a reasonable gamble for the next two seasons vs standing pat.

ie:

Koskinen + Klefbom (IR) + X for Vejmelka?

Smith + Vejmelka/Skinner this season and next season. It might not be a guaranteed top 15 tandem, but I think it has the chance of being ranked somewhere between 10-20.

Vejmelka/Skinner for the seasons after in a platoon. (Rolling the dice for a tandem comparable to Merzlikins/Korpisalo)

Also unlocks some cap space from both Koskinen and Klefbom... maybe to shore up the D?

Hell, why not blow your load on Chychrun? Top 4 and grit. Him and Nurse together in the top 4 could help make that D corps more respectable. If you cannot get that top starter, shore up the defense as you go.

Koskinen + Klefbom (IR) + X + X + X for Vejmelka + Chychrun?

(Conceptually, although it failed for the Flames, it was like what we did idea wise with our acquisition of Smith + Hamonic when our attempts to acquire certain goalies fell through around the time of the expansion draft)

Nurse - Bouchard
Chychrun - Ceci
Broberg/NM/Lag/Keith - Barrie

Vejmelka - Smith - Skinner

I still think it's worth the Oilers putting together an eye watering package to attempt to shake someone free that isn't normally in the rumor mill. But if that fails, I think Arizona makes a ton of sense as a trade partner. Heck, the Yotes might also be able to help the Oilers round out their roster a little as well.

I've been a supporter of the Oilers acquiring Vejmelka for some time now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Stupid question...

I guess the track record says otherwise, but... is it a stupid idea for Edmonton to attempt to trade Smith instead of Koskinen? Or are you guys seriously thinking that you retain Smith because there's a higher chance he randomly becomes good in the playoffs?

I was thinking that something along the lines of sending Smith back to Arizona to make the room for the starter goalie you acquire could make sense.

But, if you seriously cannot access a proper 1G I think it's worth taking a gamble rather than stand pat. In that case, keeping Smith to mentor a younger ish goalie on the cusp of breaking out makes sense.

If I'm the Oilers, if no 1G, I think Vejmelka is someone I'd attempt to buy early to see if he breaks out, but in such a scenario, I think keeping Smith to mentor the goalies would make sense. When the Flames absolutely peppered the dude, I was impressed by his composure. I also wouldn't directly look at his SV%. Dude's tandem/mentor in Arizona is Scott Wedgewood. Nothing against Wedgewood, but that guy is pretty young as well. A guy like Smith could help boost Vejmelka in the same way he did with Rittich and his age could mean injuries are (silver lining) an opportunity for the young guys to get playing time and more time for Smith to heal from injuries and more time to mentor. Even if it's a flash in the pan like Rittich, I think Edmonton fans would be happy with that end result for the coming two seasons if they seriously cannot access any top 15 starter via trade or otherwise. Rittich was relatively close on par with Binnington during the regular season that Binnington got super hot and won the cup. I honestly though both guys were on par with each other and it's strangely coincidental that both guys are struggling at the same time. (Rittich's downfall started earlier though as a mental part of his game and IIRC a portion related a little to him worrying about getting playing time and another contract). It's honestly a reasonable gamble for the next two seasons vs standing pat.

ie:

Koskinen + Klefbom (IR) + X for Vejmelka?

Smith + Vejmelka/Skinner this season and next season. It might not be a guaranteed top 15 tandem, but I think it has the chance of being ranked somewhere between 10-20.

Vejmelka/Skinner for the seasons after in a platoon. (Rolling the dice for a tandem comparable to Merzlikins/Korpisalo)

Also unlocks some cap space from both Koskinen and Klefbom... maybe to shore up the D?

Hell, why not blow your load on Chychrun? Top 4 and grit. Him and Nurse together in the top 4 could help make that D corps more respectable. If you cannot get that top starter, shore up the defense as you go.

Koskinen + Klefbom (IR) + X + X + X for Vejmelka + Chychrun?

(Conceptually, although it failed for the Flames, it was like what we did idea wise with our acquisition of Smith + Hamonic when our attempts to acquire certain goalies fell through around the time of the expansion draft)

Nurse - Bouchard
Chychrun - Ceci
Broberg/NM/Lag/Keith - Barrie

Vejmelka - Smith - Skinner

I still think it's worth the Oilers putting together an eye watering package to attempt to shake someone free that isn't normally in the rumor mill. But if that fails, I think Arizona makes a ton of sense as a trade partner. Heck, the Yotes might also be able to help the Oilers round out their roster a little as well.

I think that the Oilers would be fine trading Smith AND Koskinen, ha ha. Despite his reputation, Koskinen is likely the one that would be easier to move, as Smith has another year on his contract.

I'd be fine with trading for Chycrun and Vejmelka too, I just don't think we could realistically get them. Not both anyway, unless we were prepared to pay a couple of firsts, or our first this year and a couple of top end prospects.

Koskinen and ??? for Vejmelka would be the most simple, but I expect Arizona would want a 1st and I wouldn't pay a 1st for Vejmelka.

Last edited:

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Chairot + Petry + Allen.

I’m not sure what our return would be, but you would benefit with all 3, and we are liking listening to offers for all 3.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Chairot + Petry + Allen.

I’m not sure what our return would be, but you would benefit with all 3, and we are liking listening to offers for all 3.

Petry won't waive to come to Edmonton.

Allen isn't an upgrade on anyone the Oilers have.

You'll get more from someone else for Chiarot.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I've been a supporter of the Oilers acquiring Vejmelka for some time now.

I think that the Oilers would be fine trading Smith AND Koskinen, ha ha. Despite his reputation, Koskinen is likely the one that would be easier to move, as Smith has another year on his contract.

I'd be fine with trading for Chycrun and Vejmelka too, I just don't think we could realistically get them. Not both anyway, unless we were prepared to pay a couple of firsts, or our first this year and a couple of top end prospects.

Koskinen and ??? for Vejmelka would be the most simple, but I expect Arizona would want a 1st and I wouldn't pay a 1st for Vejmelka.

I don't think Vejmelka is an option anymore. The Coyotes beat writer Craig Morgan 2 days ago said that Vejmelka is on the list of 6 Coyotes that won't be traded. It's behind a paywall, but here's the link:

NHL trade deadline primer: Which Coyotes could be departing? - PHNX

Here's the list of players:

Vejmelka
Keller
Crouse
Ghost
Schmaltz
Moser

Reactions: TFHockey

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Petry won't waive to come to Edmonton.

Allen isn't an upgrade on anyone the Oilers have.

You'll get more from someone else for Chiarot.

Fair point on 1 and 2, but Allen is most certainly an upgrade over Mike F*** Smith.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Fair point on 1 and 2, but Allen is most certainly an upgrade over Mike F*** Smith.

Bluntly, Smith can play really good hockey but isn't as consistent as a starter needs to be. Is Allen more consistent? Sure, I'll give you that.

The Oilers need a legit starter, not a back up playing starting minutes. We have two of those already.

Reactions: McBooya42

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad