Value of: Best Goalie Available - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The jets are out of the playoffs and I don't see them making a run in the last 33 games.

:jets

2022 1st (top 10 protected)
Philip Broberg
Mikko Koskinen ($4.5 Million UFA in 32 games)

:edmonton

Connor Hellebuyck

Reactions: Wretched Oil

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The jets are out of the playoffs and I don't see them making a run in the last 33 games.

Philip Broberg

Connor Hellebuyck
I don't see why Winnipeg would consider moving Hellebuyck.

That said, I could see Edmonton having some interest in giving Eric Comrie a shot. I don't know what that looks like, but I think it's more likely than Hellebuck.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Philip Broberg

Connor Hellebuyck
Hellebuyck is worth more then a pending UFA, A defensive prospect and a 1st that's top 10 protected. Noway Cheveldayoff trades Hellebuyck.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
We also have Montembault who is having a really nice stretch right now, and you could have him for cheap.

The best option tho, is the one that you don't want to hear about, but hey, if the Oilers wants to maximize their shot at a Cup, Price is pretty much your best option, outside if Vasi (and he's pretty much untouchable).
No other goalie can put a team on his back like him.
For ya'll shitting on his regular season numbers; you're looking yet again at what a Price-less Habs looks like.
Price take that team and put them single handly in the playoffs conversation.

Price may be good and he may never play again . Then there's his contract . He negative value . Even at 1/2 you would have trouble finding a team to take him unless he returns to the team and is playing light out hockey .

Reactions: TFHockey

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Koskinen/Smith/Skinner

I guarantee oil arent trading for a goalie
The upside is that they will get wrecked in the playoffs and let in soft goals every game and hopefully Holland is kicked to the curb. Still peeved Nicholson that dumb f*** passed on Zito 2 times

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Price may be good and he may never play again . Then there's his contract . He negative value . Even at 1/2 you would have trouble finding a team to take him unless he returns to the team and is playing light out hockey .

The contract, obviously, would have to be retained on and he won't be traded if he can't play anymore, of course.
But a fresh, ready to play Carey Price is basically the best goaltender in the league, Vasi aside, and is proven to be able to win game by himself.
Oilers has a defense problem, but an even bigger goaltender problem, and Carey Price is basically the biggest possible upgrade the Oilers can do (because other possible options of his caliber won't be traded, the teams they're in a competing), on paper at least.

It would be a massive trade tho

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Philip Broberg

Connor Hellebuyck

I could see this trade but Winnipeg paying a lot more.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Philip Broberg

Connor Hellebuyck
Remove the protection, add Holloway.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia

Philip Broberg

Connor Hellebuyck
I’m sure we’d have to have unprotected 1st and Skinner/prospect as he looks ready to play bit that would depend on Jets vision post Connor

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Philip Broberg

Connor Hellebuyck

I wouldn’t even protect the pick if Helly was getting traded to Edmonton.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
Each year, Oilers search for a Goalie at the TDL.

images

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Best choice is MAF, don't know if he'd waive....but if Ullmark is available for a 2nd (as posted above), that should be explored.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Stupid question...

I guess the track record says otherwise, but... is it a stupid idea for Edmonton to attempt to trade Smith instead of Koskinen? Or are you guys seriously thinking that you retain Smith because there's a higher chance he randomly becomes good in the playoffs?

I was thinking that something along the lines of sending Smith back to Arizona to make the room for the starter goalie you acquire could make sense.

But, if you seriously cannot access a proper 1G I think it's worth taking a gamble rather than stand pat. In that case, keeping Smith to mentor a younger ish goalie on the cusp of breaking out makes sense.

If I'm the Oilers, if no 1G, I think Vejmelka is someone I'd attempt to buy early to see if he breaks out, but in such a scenario, I think keeping Smith to mentor the goalies would make sense. When the Flames absolutely peppered the dude, I was impressed by his composure. I also wouldn't directly look at his SV%. Dude's tandem/mentor in Arizona is Scott Wedgewood. Nothing against Wedgewood, but that guy is pretty young as well. A guy like Smith could help boost Vejmelka in the same way he did with Rittich and his age could mean injuries are (silver lining) an opportunity for the young guys to get playing time and more time for Smith to heal from injuries and more time to mentor. Even if it's a flash in the pan like Rittich, I think Edmonton fans would be happy with that end result for the coming two seasons if they seriously cannot access any top 15 starter via trade or otherwise. Rittich was relatively close on par with Binnington during the regular season that Binnington got super hot and won the cup. I honestly though both guys were on par with each other and it's strangely coincidental that both guys are struggling at the same time. (Rittich's downfall started earlier though as a mental part of his game and IIRC a portion related a little to him worrying about getting playing time and another contract). It's honestly a reasonable gamble for the next two seasons vs standing pat.

ie:

Koskinen + Klefbom (IR) + X for Vejmelka?

Smith + Vejmelka/Skinner this season and next season. It might not be a guaranteed top 15 tandem, but I think it has the chance of being ranked somewhere between 10-20.

Vejmelka/Skinner for the seasons after in a platoon. (Rolling the dice for a tandem comparable to Merzlikins/Korpisalo)

Also unlocks some cap space from both Koskinen and Klefbom... maybe to shore up the D?

Hell, why not blow your load on Chychrun? Top 4 and grit. Him and Nurse together in the top 4 could help make that D corps more respectable. If you cannot get that top starter, shore up the defense as you go.

Koskinen + Klefbom (IR) + X + X + X for Vejmelka + Chychrun?

(Conceptually, although it failed for the Flames, it was like what we did idea wise with our acquisition of Smith + Hamonic when our attempts to acquire certain goalies fell through around the time of the expansion draft)

Nurse - Bouchard
Chychrun - Ceci
Broberg/NM/Lag/Keith - Barrie

Vejmelka - Smith - Skinner

I still think it's worth the Oilers putting together an eye watering package to attempt to shake someone free that isn't normally in the rumor mill. But if that fails, I think Arizona makes a ton of sense as a trade partner. Heck, the Yotes might also be able to help the Oilers round out their roster a little as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad