Value of: Best Goalie Available - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Well that might be the fan ask on here, but what would the real world ask be? Gibson could be the answer in net for the Oilers. If they had even above average goaltending they're a threat to take the Pacific.

Gibson is one of the few goalies I'd actually move Holloway for.

I have to believe Holland is still looking. Two of those three goals last night I think Smith would want back.

Zegras is unreal.

Drysdale is going to be a stud D man for a decade +.

Let's say Holland is willing to move Holloway and Broberg (I don't think he is, or the balls to do that, personally) I'd be comfortable with:

Holloway (ELC)
Broberg (ELC)
Koskinen (pending UFA, must waive (!) to go to Anaheim)
Tyson Barrie RHD (2 years left after this one)
Yamamoto (pending RFA)
($10.175 Million going out)
Pick to be negotiated

for

Gibson (assumes he is willing to waive to come to Edmonton) ($6.4 Million long term)
Lindholm (assuming he isn't going to sign in Anaheim) (Pending UFA)
(about $11.6 Million going out)

Some big assumptions here. Ducks get the best prospects the Oilers have and a young player in Yamamoto. Take on a short dump in Koskinen for about 40 games. Take on Barrie's contract which ISN'T a dump but is there to even out the money. Anaheim can flip him at the deadline for a pick.

Holland tries desperately to sign Lindholm, who may just end up coming back to Anaheim anyway.

As it is they're just two points out of 2nd with a game in hand over Vegas. Can they catch the Flames? Well, Calgary would actually have to lose a game for starters.

I get that you are trying to make a realistic proposal, but this is a hard pass for me.

The only real assets are Broberg and Holloway.
Koskinen is a dump.
Barrie isn’t a dump but if the Ducks are trading Lindholm and Gibson they are going to be looking for futures.
Yama is young but I wouldn’t consider him a top 6 player so he blends into the 10 players the Ducks have fighting for the same spots.

I would much rather trade Lindholm to someone like St Louis and Gibson should easily be worth a blue chip + 1st.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Well that might be the fan ask on here, but what would the real world ask be? Gibson could be the answer in net for the Oilers. If they had even above average goaltending they're a threat to take the Pacific.

Gibson is one of the few goalies I'd actually move Holloway for.

I have to believe Holland is still looking. Two of those three goals last night I think Smith would want back.

Zegras is unreal.

Drysdale is going to be a stud D man for a decade +.

Let's say Holland is willing to move Holloway and Broberg (I don't think he is, or the balls to do that, personally) I'd be comfortable with:

Holloway (ELC)
Broberg (ELC)
Koskinen (pending UFA, must waive (!) to go to Anaheim)
Tyson Barrie RHD (2 years left after this one)
Yamamoto (pending RFA)
($10.175 Million going out)
Pick to be negotiated

for

Gibson (assumes he is willing to waive to come to Edmonton) ($6.4 Million long term)
Lindholm (assuming he isn't going to sign in Anaheim) (Pending UFA)
(about $11.6 Million going out)

Some big assumptions here. Ducks get the best prospects the Oilers have and a young player in Yamamoto. Take on a short dump in Koskinen for about 40 games. Take on Barrie's contract which ISN'T a dump but is there to even out the money. Anaheim can flip him at the deadline for a pick.

Holland tries desperately to sign Lindholm, who may just end up coming back to Anaheim anyway.

As it is they're just two points out of 2nd with a game in hand over Vegas. Can they catch the Flames? Well, Calgary would actually have to lose a game for starters.

Remember, out of teams who have had "average or better than average goalie games, Edmonton has won the third or second most games in the NHL. Only COL and FLA are better there.

Edmonton has also had the 3rd worst goaltending games (less than average stats in a game).

Some of this is also old systems play. Not only on goalies, but if the Oilers had a Gibson like goalie, they are for sure top of the Pacific. Worst 2nd place.

They haven't had an injury free year like a Calgary (or 10 shutouts). Also played a bunch of games with guys out to Covid.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I get that you are trying to make a realistic proposal, but this is a hard pass for me.

Koskinen is a dump.
Barrie isn’t a dump but if the Ducks are trading Lindholm and Gibson they are going to be looking for futures.
Yama is young but I wouldn’t consider him a top 6 player so he blends into the 10 players the Ducks have fighting for the same spots.

I would much rather trade Lindholm to someone like St Louis and Gibson should easily be worth a blue chip + 1st.

There is also a pick in there to be negotiated. I think I made a fairly good offer.

Realistic? Well, that remains to be seen if or when the Ducks deal Lindholm and Gibson.

Reactions: IIxGURUxII

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Barry not a dump.

If some team has an extra goalie that's paid 5 mill, and can start, we will take him. If this same team needs a real good powerplay quarterback, let's go straight across.

We can also trade Barry, for a high 3rd pick. We can flip that to a team that has to get rid of a good goalie, with bigger contract. A redundant goalie, that takes up cap.....

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Sounds like Murray and DJ Smith can't co-exist. Murray for some minor asset plus Koskinen for salary should be an easy deal to make.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
There is also a pick in there to be negotiated. I think I made a fairly good offer.

Realistic? Well, that remains to be seen if or when the Ducks deal Lindholm and Gibson.

It isn’t terrible, I am 100% sure the Ducks would get more if they traded them separately.

No reason to trade Gibson unless it is for a killing in a return.

Gman9448

Jan 8, 2022
The Oilers need a legit starter in net. Who is the closest to that and might be available?

Let's just save ourselves some time and skip the Cary Price talk.

The only stipulation is that Holland stated not too long ago he wouldn't give up a 1st or a top prospect for a rental. If you're suggesting a rental goaltender, keep that in mind.

Aaaaaaaad GO!
Varlamov for 2nd and a speedy winger prospect if oilers have.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Barry not a dump.

If some team has an extra goalie that's paid 5 mill, and can start, we will take him. If this same team needs a real good powerplay quarterback, let's go straight across.

We can also trade Barry, for a high 3rd pick. We can flip that to a team that has to get rid of a good goalie, with bigger contract. A redundant goalie, that takes up cap.....

Barry is a dump, plays less than zero actual D, and he is a D, so....

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Barry is a dump, plays less than zero actual D, and he is a D, so....

So we will disagree on Barry's value.

If I'm running for the cup, and don't have a quarterback, and an extra 5 mill goalie, and up against the cap ? I make that trade anytime, unless there is a better one.

What I'm proposing, is a conceivable trade, that would work for both sides.

He led all defenceman last year, in points.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Like you say in your post Puljujarvi value is that of a 4th OA pick . You want him alone your offer falls short .
I didn't say that in my post, I said a 4th this yr for Oil for a 3rd next yr to NY to balance it out.

And to be clear, I am famously for saying a player's pick is guided by draft standing until said player demonstrates a more accurate basis which updates otherwise. In the case of Krav, he has NOT gotten fair shot which I consider legit meaningful mins with top 6, pref 1st line, which is necessary to determine if he can play 1st line caliber F. He was obv not given that and railroaded by the stupidity of Drury, who I am calling out. Even IF you overlook other aspects which I am not conceding, it is unforgiveable this guy was hung out to dry while McKegg made the team,

Pulj has had sufficient not mere opportunity but actual playing time with Oil Fs including I believe top Fs. So that is the first huge dif.

And I am going by the above, but even if we went in alternate direction, Strome was what, 5OA when drafted? So while this actually is rfa for rfa and expiring for expiring, examining it from where you (not I) are coming would ask what is the dif betw. 5OA Strome and similarly drafted Pulj. I would argue Geo w/rfa is already worth way more than the putrid that is Kosk.

And since this prop0sal by me, Pulj just reported out for at least 4 wks, which is most of the rest of the season.
NY can handle that and use him only for p'o if that be the case, while having Strome now would be better than Pulj not on the bench actively available.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

If I'm running for the cup, and don't have a quarterback, and an extra 5 mill goalie, and up against the cap ? I make that trade anytime, unless there is a better one.

Personally, I don't believe Barrie has negative value either. But his defensive shortcomings make him a tricky piece to sell

Your scenario has many big ifs. Contending teams tend to have power play quarterbacks already, and they likely also value defensive ability (which Barrie lacks). Can't think of too many teams with a spare 5 mill goalie either, at least not that want or need Barrie

If I had to guess, they dump him this summer for a return that surprises neutral fans (as it doesn't cost assets to move him) while disappointing some Oiler fans (who feel he should have more value, given his ability to produce)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

happy to have polite and respectful agree to disagree on Barry value.

Math does not lie and I take at yr word he led all D in points, but it is fair to ask how much of that is benefitting from the 1-2 dynamo that is McD-Drai, and how much of that is raw Barry ability.

He skates ok, not great, He does have legit offensive skills and that holds up regardless of rank, I admit.

But his D is too suspect for me.

Reactions: oilexport

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Personally, I don't believe Barrie has negative value either. But his defensive shortcomings make him a tricky piece to sell

Your scenario has many big ifs. Contending teams tend to have power play quarterbacks already, and they likely also value defensive ability (which Barrie lacks). Can't think of too many teams with a spare 5 mill goalie either, at least not that want or need Barrie

If I had to guess, they dump him this summer for a return that surprises neutral fans (as it doesn't cost assets to move him) while disappointing some Oiler fans (who feel he should have more value, given his ability to produce)

You may be right, about the summer. I believe Barry becomes more of a dump, in the summer, and we lose.

Teams are not presured, like the playoff run, in the summer....

The "what if's" ---no quarterback, extra 5 mill goalie, can happen, with sudden injuries on cup Teams. They look for depth, as well. Good teams have holes, whether it be a winger, face off guy....

3 way deals are common.....a pick gets Barry, the pick goes for goalie....

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
You may be right, about the summer. I believe Barry becomes more of a dump, in the summer, and we lose.

Teams are not presured, like the playoff run, in the summer....

The "what if's" ---no quarterback, extra 5 mill goalie, can happen, with sudden injuries on cup Teams. They look for depth, as well. Good teams have holes, whether it be a winger, face off guy....

That last point is fair but I suspect that a contending team with injuries might prefer a quarterback that doesn't have term

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
That last point is fair but I suspect that a contending team with injuries might prefer a quarterback that doesn't have term

Absolutely, but a lot of teams are stuck against the cap, and have bad contracts. A team in need, at the deadline, would trade a expensive contract, for another.

I believe in the cap world, strategic move on the money side, take presidency on the equal value, of the player. In other words, if its the best trade, to keep us under the cap, we need to do it.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Koskinen is a dump.

After last Game , Gibson seems a little overrated. 1st and a prospect. Naa

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
After last Game , Gibson seems a little overrated. 1st and a prospect. Naa
He's not overrated. Ducks overachieved in combination with Gibson being overused. Stolarz has a better save % and the same gaa as Gibson. Gibson has 36 decisions and Stolarz 15. It's the same old story with the Ducks. Gibson is relied on too much. I bet ya if the Ducks would have given more starts to Stolarz, Gibson would be fresher in his starts and have much better numbers.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If the Oilers signed Lindholm and/or Rakell while having Gibson long term.. that is a win now team.
You've like $7,000,000 to sign 10 players, Where do you think you're coming up with the money to sign Hampus Lindholm? Any team out there could easily outbid Edmonton for his services especially Detroit who could offer him extra AAV because they're so flushed with cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad