Value of: Best Goalie Available - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I see. Okay, fair enough. Can you tell me what goaltender went for more than an organizations top two prospects? I can't think of any off hand, at least in the modern era of the NHL.

broberg may be one of the Oils top prospects, but he’s a so-so prospect in general. So it’s a crazy weak offer for Demko. Oil would need to add another major piece to Broberg.

this deal starts with Holloway and oil add, maybe not Broberg but Holloway is the base. Holloway + top 10 protected first.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFF

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I think Fleury can be had for less than a 1st. Goalies always get less than skaters, and Fleury is 37 years old and a pending UFA which lessens his value even more.
Vezina winner last year ,6 Teams lining up for him ,Yah dream on. He will command a 1st rd plus a 3rd or equivalent.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
At the risk of taking this thread down a well worn path, Georgiev might be a good option for EDM—taking into consideration what it might cost to acquire him, the fact that he is cost controlled at the end of the year and that he's shown to be a better starter than backup.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Oilers fans are lucky they don’t have to put up with those endless posts stating that Price will put your team over the top that we Avs fan did a month ago.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
You're kind of missing the point. The issue isn't where these guys fall in on the depth chart. It's just the type of player there. Using EA Sports categories for defensemen, the Oilers have the following:
Offensive Defensemen: Barrie, Bouchard, Keith,
Two Way Defensemen: Nurse, Ceci
Defensive Defensemen: NA

When the closest thing a team has to a shutdown defenseman is Ceci, and then Nurse...or maybe Kris Russell...that's a problem. It's a bad mix. Too many puck movers, not enough shut down guys. Which is where having Larsson still would come in handy.
Nurse - ???
Keith - Ceci
??? - Bouchard

Would be much better than what we have now, if we could find shut down guys appropriate for that spot.
A package deal trade that might work…
Fleury+Murphy for 1st+Barrie+Koskinen+

Just have to haggle out that last + going to Chicago to make it fair and worthwhile.

Last edited:

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Georgiev for a 2nd / Koskinen / B prospect (for the cap dump).

Edmonton gets a guy who is at his best with a steady workload. They pay a little extra to dump Koskinen. If they like Georgiev then he can be resigned, if not, they can let him walk after the season.

Rangers get a couple pieces they can hang onto or ship out for another asset.

Any less and I probably just hang onto Georgiev for insurance.

I think Nemeth has some trade protection which might sink the possibility but he could probably be included to help out on a 3rd pairing. Some of the Rangers youth seems capable of filling his slot. Edmonton seems to lack depth on the back end.

Edmonton’s best bet is probably Varlamov but I’d expect him to cost a fair bit more.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Georgiev for a 2nd / Koskinen / B prospect (for the cap dump).

Edmonton gets a guy who is at his best with a steady workload. They pay a little extra to dump Koskinen. If they like Georgiev then he can be resigned, if not, they can let him walk after the season.

Rangers get a couple pieces they can hang onto or ship out for another asset.

Any less and I probably just hang onto Georgiev for insurance.

I think Nemeth has some trade protection which might sink the possibility but he could probably be included to help out on a 3rd pairing. Some of the Rangers youth seems capable of filling his slot. Edmonton seems to lack depth on the back end.

Edmonton’s best bet is probably Varlamov but I’d expect him to cost a fair bit more.

I might be misunderstanding you here. Are you saying Georgeiv for a 2nd OR Kosk OR a B prospect? Or do you mean AND?

I can't see Holland moving Koskinen for Georgeiv for a 2nd AND a prospect. That seems like a homerun for the Rangers and a lot of question marks for the Oilers.

I totally agree that Varlamov should be a target for Edmonton but I don't know if Holland can land him or what the price might be.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Factoring in cap hits, reality, no trade clauses and that we won't be landing a Vezina goalie. More likely a tandem to shore things up with one of Smith/Koski. I'd like Smith to be the piece going the other way as he has that second year but not sure if they will trade him out of loyalty. They should but Holland's 'gut' might not like that. Although he did fire his best friend.. who know?

IF Varlamov waives to come.. he is our best bet at a playoff run. They need cap space and Skarek is on his way to be a good 1B to an amazing Sorokin (think Vladar/Markstrom). Isles would be clearing cap and a year of contract... those 2 things are worth something and have value in a cap world. Price should be reasonable. Upside would be Varlamov/Skinner next year with Kono knocking on the door. A good goalie situation indeed. We do have LTIR space if we keep Kass out till playoffs which seems to be a thing in the NHL these days (stone and kucherov).

If they fall out of race in Vancouver, Halak is another great bet! Not sure if he has trade protection... probably does. He could make a nice run. Inexpensive.

Third is Stolarz.. Dostal is coming, he is playing well and is not expensive. Division rival is a problem but I don't think he is in the picture for next season in Anaheim.

Then Samsonov/Vanecek if they get Fleury (he's not coming to Canada) - take the one they don't want, they'll also want cap space mostly. Young and goalie of the future.

Koskinen is now an inexpensive 1B and should be part of it with a prospect (eg. cap is reducing daily and UFA.. a non playoff team could take that easily and say goodbye in Spring).

What I think will happen? Smith and Koski till Spring and it won't work.

Reactions: captainpaxil

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
broberg may be one of the Oils top prospects, but he’s a so-so prospect in general. So it’s a crazy weak offer for Demko. Oil would need to add another major piece to Broberg.

this deal starts with Holloway and oil add, maybe not Broberg but Holloway is the base. Holloway + top 10 protected first.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I can't think of a single goaltender that went for a team's top prospect and a 1st in the modern NHL era.

The closest I can think of was Kuemper to the Avs for a conditional 1st (top 10 protected) , a conditional 3rd (Avs win the cup) and the signing rights to Conor Timmons (a 2nd round draft pick in 2017) which is still pretty far off from what you're saying the deal would look like. I'm not talking as a fan of the Oilers here, I am looking at real world trades that have taken place in the NHL.

Incidentally, before you note Demko is a better goaltender than Kuemper take a look at the latter's numbers in Arizona. Lights out good, every bit as good as Demko's this year. Even this year they're not too far off.

I can't find any trades for a Goalie in the cap era that matches your criteria. Can you think of one?

Note to Canuck fans: This is not a slight on Demko, who I think is a hell of a player. He is clearly a legit 1A goalie and I can't see Vancouver ever trading him to a divisional rival. I love to imagine the Oilers getting their hands on him even if it would never happen.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
A package deal trade that might work…
Fleury+Murphy for 1st+Barrie+Koskinen+

Just have to haggle out that last + going to Chicago to make it fair and worthwhile.
If Holland added Holloway to 1st Barrie Koskinen that may be enough ? maybe Hawks add Kubalik and Oilers add a pick

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
At the risk of taking this thread down a well worn path, Georgiev might be a good option for EDM—taking into consideration what it might cost to acquire him, the fact that he is cost controlled at the end of the year and that he's shown to be a better starter than backup.
The only thing Georgiev has shown is that you have no idea if he’s going to steal the game or soil the sheets on any given night.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I might be misunderstanding you here. Are you saying Georgeiv for a 2nd OR Kosk OR a B prospect? Or do you mean AND?

I can't see Holland moving Koskinen for Georgeiv for a 2nd AND a prospect. That seems like a homerun for the Rangers and a lot of question marks for the Oilers.

I totally agree that Varlamov should be a target for Edmonton but I don't know if Holland can land him or what the price might be.

A home run for the Rangers? Georgiev is probably worth a 2nd. Koskinen is a negative value cap dump that the Rangers take back to facilitate the deal which I think is worth a B prospect who will probably never have a meaningful NHL career. A 2nd rounder and a mediocre prospect isn’t question marks for the Rangers? I actually feel like this is a fair deal. If I’m only getting a mid round pick for Georgiev then I’d rather hang onto him for insurance.

Varlamov is the better fit but I’m guessing the NYI will ask for a 1st plus... especially if you plan to dump a contract on them or ask them to retain. The question is what Edmonton wants to pay. It sounds like they have no intention of trading a 1st or high end prospect.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I think Holland's press conference on Tippett has some great quotes that show he's not likely to make a big trade at this point. It sounds like his "gut instinct" is that the firing should be enough.

Well that's depressing

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Hard to make a trade with a divisional rival but this is something Holland has to consider IMHO.
Absolutely not. Kosk has 1 year remaining. This is the cost to buyout a player with term. Especially if we don’t make the playoffs, like our current play is suggesting

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The only thing Georgiev has shown is that you have no idea if he’s going to steal the game or soil the sheets on any given night.
I understand this and in a vacuum it is reasonable. Howev, we have cracked his code, which is a dif maker here.
When he gets regular [ie starter] mins he plays better. He handles pressure of being #1 and outcompeting similar in his class better than being up vs a markedly superior G in like Shesty.

Where my fellow NYR fans err is forgetting that there is only 1 set of starter mins. They belong to Shesty, period. We should not give them to Geo to keep him sharp and take the risk Shesty's underuse would have him turn a bit rusty.

We should sell high on Geo and replace w/backup internally or via trade.

Seeing is believing. If you underuse Geo you will likely get disappointment; if you optimally max use him as described you will get -- appointment. ha ha.

A home run for the Rangers? Georgiev is probably worth a 2nd. Koskinen is a negative value cap dump that the Rangers take back to facilitate the deal which I think is worth a B prospect who will probably never have a meaningful NHL career. A 2nd rounder and a mediocre prospect isn’t question marks for the Rangers? I actually feel like this is a fair deal. If I’m only getting a mid round pick for Georgiev then I’d rather hang onto him for insurance.

Varlamov is the better fit but I’m guessing the NYI will ask for a 1st plus... especially if you plan to dump a contract on them or ask them to retain. The question is what Edmonton wants to pay. It sounds like they have no intention of trading a 1st or high end prospect.

Yeah, a la price packaging on Geo.
base price
mo if retained or not
more if Kosk taken back

And Isles would want HUGE surrender for their starting G

Reactions: BudBundy

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
6+ years into McDavid’s career and the oilers still don’t want to trade away precious picks for proven talent? The situation is getting dangerous to the point where he and Drai are close to asking out. All assets should be on the table to build a winner, picks and prospects

Did you post the same shit with respects to OV ? How long did it take him to win a cup in Washington ?

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Did you post the same shit with respects to OV ? How long did it take him to win a cup in Washington ?
Washington has had a hell of a lot more playoff success than Edmonton. Players are more susceptible to leaving if their team either doesn’t make the playoffs, or they’re constantly first round fodder.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I have to disagree with you on this one. I can't think of a single goaltender that went for a team's top prospect and a 1st in the modern NHL era.

The closest I can think of was Kuemper to the Avs for a conditional 1st (top 10 protected) , a conditional 3rd (Avs win the cup) and the signing rights to Conor Timmons (a 2nd round draft pick in 2017) which is still pretty far off from what you're saying the deal would look like. I'm not talking as a fan of the Oilers here, I am looking at real world trades that have taken place in the NHL.

Incidentally, before you note Demko is a better goaltender than Kuemper take a look at the latter's numbers in Arizona. Lights out good, every bit as good as Demko's this year. Even this year they're not too far off.

I can't find any trades for a Goalie in the cap era that matches your criteria. Can you think of one?

Note to Canuck fans: This is not a slight on Demko, who I think is a hell of a player. He is clearly a legit 1A goalie and I can't see Vancouver ever trading him to a divisional rival. I love to imagine the Oilers getting their hands on him even if it would never happen.
Kuemper is a great goalie. Demko is too. And he’s younger and has contract control. Kuemper is going to be an UFA in July. That matters a lot in valuation.

Broberg just isn’t a great prospect. You’re overrating a guy the Oil probably over drafted.

Broberg isn’t good enough to acquire a cost controlled young goalie at Demko’s level. Not even close.

Holland made a mistake not going harder after Kuemper. Kuemper has really settled in and has been great for the Avs. He’s exactly what Oil have been missing. A reliable goalie that can make big saves and doesn’t leave his team with a lack of confidence. Oilers don’t have the same confidence level in whomever they put in net.

Last edited:

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Vezina winner last year ,6 Teams lining up for him ,Yah dream on. He will command a 1st rd plus a 3rd or equivalent.
Fleury
has a NTC - he has to "want to come to edm"
- this is VERY UNLIKELY
(especially since there will be other more desirable suitors such as Colorado, possibly Washington, Dallas)

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
If they fall out of race in Vancouver, Halak is another great bet! Not sure if he has trade protection... probably does. He could make a nice run. Inexpensive.
Halak has as NMC, but for a couple months of starter hockey as a 36-year-old versus riding the pine (or press box) in Vancouver, I think he'd waive. You could probably have him for future considerations or a low pick. If Skinner is supposed to be the goalie of the future and you're conserving prospects/picks, then Halak's probably the best bet. Edmonton should pull that trigger before the season is completely lost.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Fleury
has a NTC - he has to "want to come to edm"
- this is VERY UNLIKELY
(especially since there will be other more desirable suitors such as Colorado, possibly Washington, Dallas)
This narrative that the Avs need a goalie is a fabrication of some lazy media types. They have two very good goalies in Kuemper and Frankie, their backup. Goalie play is a strength for the Avs. Has been for several months. You think a team that is running away from the Western conference has crappy goalie play? If they did, they wouldn’t be dominating like they are.

Kuemper is a big reason the Avs are in first place. He’s been one of their best players. He’s right on his career averages of 2.45 gaa and .918% save percentage. His record is 23-5. This Kuemper dude is really good.

but, in a way, this is good news for the Oil. They aren’t competing with Sakic to get a goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holy Slapshot

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If I were Edmonton, I would be inquiring about Craig Anderson in Buffalo.

He's 6-3 this season with a .916 sv% on a buffalo team that bleeds high quality chances.

He's not durable enough to be the guy, but probably could get you several wins in a 1B role to help with the playoff push.

And his contract is league minimum, so even without retention, he'd be affordable (adding a retention slot this deadline is going to raise the price of any player imo).

His age and health would be a gamble, but if healthy he is playing night and day better than anything Edmonton currently has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad