Value of: Best Goalie Available - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The issue is that this year, Skinner is the only reliable goalie the Oilers have had. Smith has been injured and awful when healthy. Koskinen has been good at times and horrendous at others. So while Skinner may be half of the solution, he isn't the only solution.
But Holland hasn't been interested in getting a new goalie and the off-season was the time to do that anyhow. As the season goes on, it's clear that they've reached out and found that there's really no goalies available for a reasonable trade value. And Oilers fans seem confident that Holland's job is not in jeopardy if they miss the playoffs, so I don't think he has any motivation to make a trade in-season. Firing Tippett probably gives him an excuse if they do miss and makes him look savvy if they don't.

That sounds to me like going with the goalies in the organization is the best solution. Hope for the best and try again to address the goaltending in the off-season.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Also with Anderson/Smith the Oilers would be able to claim the oldest goaltending duo ever?
I think Bower and Sawchuk in ‘67 were older

but hey, they DID win a Cup. I don’t think anyone is confusing Mike smith with Johnny bower or terry Sawchuk tho

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I was talking MAF (50%) for Savoie and a 2nd.

Yeah, and I was agreeing. I'd trade a prospect like Savoie + a pick for MAF @50%. Holland might not, or maybe Davidson doesn't, but I do. At some point this team has to take a real permanent step forward.

But Holland hasn't been interested in getting a new goalie and the off-season was the time to do that anyhow. As the season goes on, it's clear that they've reached out and found that there's really no goalies available for a reasonable trade value. And Oilers fans seem confident that Holland's job is not in jeopardy if they miss the playoffs, so I don't think he has any motivation to make a trade in-season. Firing Tippett probably gives him an excuse if they do miss and makes him look savvy if they don't.

That sounds to me like going with the goalies in the organization is the best solution. Hope for the best and try again to address the goaltending in the off-season.

This is untrue. Every hockey insider has stated Holland has been asking about goaltenders this season. He tried to acquire a few last off season as well but failed to outbid Calgary on Markstrom, or better the Avs on Kuemper or get Grubauer before Seattle. So when you say he hasn't been interested and then follow up with they've obviously reached out... well it is clear that Holland wants to upgrade his goaltending and knew it was going to be a problem but just couldn't get it done. So far he has continued to not get it done.

Will he land someone? I sure hope so and not for Holloway or someone equally devastating to lose for the organization.

Reactions: PainForShane

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Most of Larsson’s years in Edmonton he wasn’t very good. I don’t get this take now that he left that he was some elite D!? I haven’t followed him in Seattle so maybe he is playing better. He did have a solid last year in Edmonton but I didn’t lose sleep over him not returning

The Keith trade was terrible. No complaints with Ceci. He has been decent I think
Never thought Larsson was elite but he was defense first which this team really needs right now. Keith and Ceci are a third pairing on any team serious of contending for a cup. Not your shut down pairing. Ceci is making double what he should be. You have Nurse then 5 turnstiles on defense. You need Vezina level goaltending to make up for that. Which is such a shame as I really wanted Edmonton to take a big step this year but unfortunately felt that this is what was going to happen after the Keith trade.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The Keith/Ceci combo isn't the issue in Edmonton. Especially Ceci, he's been good value for his price. Keith is still paid like he is in his prime, but is better than he was advertised to be. Our third pair is atrocious. But mostly its our system play. Larsson wouldn't help with that.
Larsson was fine in that system. Keith/Ceci is a third pairing not a second pairing. That is the problem. The depth disappeared on the blueline leaving players in spots they should not be in. Unless the goalie acquired plays at a Vezina level of play nothing is going to change.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, and I was agreeing. I'd trade a prospect like Savoie + a pick for MAF @50%. Holland might not, or maybe Davidson doesn't, but I do. At some point this team has to take a real permanent step forward.

This is untrue. Every hockey insider has stated Holland has been asking about goaltenders this season. He tried to acquire a few last off season as well but failed to outbid Calgary on Markstrom, or better the Avs on Kuemper or get Grubauer before Seattle. So when you say he hasn't been interested and then follow up with they've obviously reached out... well it is clear that Holland wants to upgrade his goaltending and knew it was going to be a problem but just couldn't get it done. So far he has continued to not get it done.

Will he land someone? I sure hope so and not for Holloway or someone equally devastating to lose for the organization.
He's not getting it done because he's not willing to spend the assets and take a calculated risk to try and solve some of the roster issues.

I'd argue there's a difference between window shopping and coming prepared to make a necessary purchase, even if there's some sticker shock.

Holland has just been window shopping since the off-season and continues to do it in-season. But if there's no pressure on him to make the playoffs in terms of costing him his job, why wouldn't he continue to window shop until the next off-season when the prices will likely be more reasonable? Keep checking in, but not actually make a real move except maybe a replacement level guy for a later pick or someone on waivers.

You said yourself that he's safe and Tippett was a maybe to lose his job if they missed the playoffs. Tippett's gone and that probably insulates Holland for a while longer. There's no motivation for Holland to make a move of consequence.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Larsson was fine in that system. Keith/Ceci is a third pairing not a second pairing. That is the problem. The depth disappeared on the blueline leaving players in spots they should not be in. Unless the goalie acquired plays at a Vezina level of play nothing is going to change.

I've been saying the same thing for a while. Keith and Ceci would be an excellent 3rd pairing. It would mean the Oilers have a better 2nd pairing which means a great defense. Who are these mystery 2nd pairing guys? I have posted a few threads about trying to get Carson Soucy and Artem Zub but like 99% of things on here that is just a fantasy.

Also the system that woodcraft will bring in is different than Tippett's and that should help. I bet he'll also give the youngsters more of a role. One of Tippett's biggest flaws is his over reliance on veterans.

Currently Keith is out 2-4 weeks and that means slater Keokoek might slide back into the line up or maybe Russell or Broberg.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
He's not getting it done because he's not willing to spend the assets and take a calculated risk to try and solve some of the roster issues.

I'd argue there's a difference between window shopping and coming prepared to make a necessary purchase, even if there's some sticker shock.

Holland has just been window shopping since the off-season and continues to do it in-season. But if there's no pressure on him to make the playoffs in terms of costing him his job, why wouldn't he continue to window shop until the next off-season when the prices will likely be more reasonable? Keep checking in, but not actually make a real move except maybe a replacement level guy for a later pick or someone on waivers.

You said yourself that he's safe and Tippett was a maybe to lose his job if they missed the playoffs. Tippett's gone and that probably insulates Holland for a while longer. There's no motivation for Holland to make a move of consequence.

Here is the issue:

On one side you get the "Holland isn't willing to cough up the assets to get player A"

and on the other you get "Holland is going to get fleeced in the next trade. Everyone knows this"

They can't both be true.

From my perspective Holland failed to get the guy he wanted in the off season and then went to plan B, C, etc until he was left with the "Okay, no choice but to sign Smith again and hope he can Koskinen can be good enough" option. They haven't been.

So now he is looking for a decent goalie who might be stuck behind a starter who for whatever reason isn't going to be moved. Guys like Husso, maybe Georgeiv, Korpisalo, or maybe someone out of Dallas. Or at worst he is looking for a stopgap like Jones.

What I noticed is that some of these lesser goalies were on teams that asked Holland for "too much". Holland refused to get fleeced. He might circle back again to those teams but ultimately he seems like he is playing things smart. That gives me some hope he can get someone without getting robbed as so many on here think (hope?) he will.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Larsson was fine for 1 year of the past 3 in that system. Do I wish we still had him? Yep, but he didn't want to be in Edmonton so there's no point in wishing too much.

Keith and Ceci has been fine as a 2nd pairing. Not outstanding. But not awful. They aren't the problem, but having them on the third pair would be a luxury, I agree on that.

Like I said, its the system, and the way that too many players (forward and defensemen) hadn't bought into it consistently. It's the wrong mix of guys that Holland brought together for the blueline, but the system doesn't help. There's too many issues to fix right now so hopefully that happens over the summer, but we should really have a blueline that has two more "shutdown" type players on it - one to play top pair with Nurse, one to play 3rd pair with Bouchard. Nemalainen might be that guy on the 3rd pair but he has such a small sample size we don't really know. We really need the guy for the top RD and that isn't going to happen right now, so we need to figure out what is the best alternative to the ideal. Or maybe the new coaching staff has a system that will be able to better use what we have.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
There seems to be good a fit between EDM and DET with the Wings providing depth (Gagner, maybe Namestnikov, Stecher), decent veteran goaltending (Greiss, admittedly putting up weaker numbers this year but historically better in the second half), and cap space (taking a cap dump back).

Detroit could be a one-stop shop in return for prospects/picks, but I would understand Oilers fans wanting to take Kenny’s phone away if Yzerman is on the other end.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oilers likely have to super overpay just to get a stopgap since a longterm option is probably not available and everybody knows the Oilers are super desperate for a goalie .

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Larsson was fine for 1 year of the past 3 in that system. Do I wish we still had him? Yep, but he didn't want to be in Edmonton so there's no point in wishing too much.

Keith and Ceci has been fine as a 2nd pairing. Not outstanding. But not awful. They aren't the problem, but having them on the third pair would be a luxury, I agree on that.

Like I said, its the system, and the way that too many players (forward and defensemen) hadn't bought into it consistently. It's the wrong mix of guys that Holland brought together for the blueline, but the system doesn't help. There's too many issues to fix right now so hopefully that happens over the summer, but we should really have a blueline that has two more "shutdown" type players on it - one to play top pair with Nurse, one to play 3rd pair with Bouchard. Nemalainen might be that guy on the 3rd pair but he has such a small sample size we don't really know. We really need the guy for the top RD and that isn't going to happen right now, so we need to figure out what is the best alternative to the ideal. Or maybe the new coaching staff has a system that will be able to better use what we have.
Agree with you nothing can be done now. The issues with the Defense all started with the Keith trade and tying up that money on a solid 3rd pairing dman. Then doubled down on it by getting another 5 in Ceci. Terrible team construction.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

I'll give you Markstrom and Kuemper... but not Grubauer.

He signed Smith (July 21) before Grubauer signed (July 28). He didn't fail to get Grubauer before Seattle, he locked up Smith instead and had no room for Grubauer.

The only possible way that you can argue Holland isn't a total idiot on Grubauer is if he reached out to Grubauer's camp and was told they'd refuse to sign any contract in Edmonton (Worried about the goalie grave yard) and communicated that to Holland and co before July 21.

Agree with you nothing can be done now. The issues with the Defense all started with the Keith trade and tying up that money on a solid 3rd pairing dman. Then doubled down on it by getting another 5 in Ceci. Terrible team construction.

I was chatting with an Oiler fan who was honest and the worst part of the Keith trade was that it allowed Chicago to lock Jones to that stupid contract, which likely caused Edmonton to have to match an increased AAV on Nurse.

Ceci is fine, but almost like a cherry on top of the back line screw up by Holland.

Reactions: Barnaby

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
One or the other, not both. If it cost Broberg at this point I'd probably do it. Holloway is about to make his debut with the big club this year so I want to see how he looks first.
Lol I thought that was a stupid proposal for the Canucks. Seem cheap for a young number 1. You ain’t getting one of those for any kind of prospect. Enjoy Smith then.

Reactions: McJedi

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Lol I thought that was a stupid proposal for the Canucks. Seem cheap for a young number 1. You ain’t getting one of those for any kind of prospect. Enjoy Smith then.

Salty reply! Broberg and Holloway isn't a cheap asking price for a goaltender, even a 1A. Regardless the Canucks wouldn't move their #1 guy to Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad