Value of: Best Goalie Available - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sorry but it's too late to trade for a goalie this season. The Oilers are 5 points out of a playoff spot right now. They're just this side of being sellers at the trade deadline.

They should just keep their picks and try to figure something out in the offseason.
5 points out with that many games in hand isn't enough to give up on the season. Especially when this team has shown it can put huge streaks together. That said, it's not "sell our first" time either. If we could get Holtby without dishing our 1st, that would be ideal.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Anton Forsberg is someone who can be a starter? That's news to me. He was a waiver wire claim a few times now, including to and from Edmonton.

He's been good.

Perhaps optimistic, but it does happen with goalies around his age that they go from perennial backup and waiver wire team-hoppers to solidifying a starter role when they're given an opportunity and a fresh start. I think of Craig Anderson - he was in a somewhat similar situation with his career, and then went on to be arguably Ottawa's best goalie ever.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
5 points out with that many games in hand isn't enough to give up on the season. Especially when this team has shown it can put huge streaks together. That said, it's not "sell our first" time either. If we could get Holtby without dishing our 1st, that would be ideal.
The Oilers definitely need to hold on to that first and their second (or third) while they're at it. They need to keep drafting and developing and one of those two 2022 picks needs to be used on a goalie.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
6+ years into McDavid’s career and the oilers still don’t want to trade away precious picks for proven talent? The situation is getting dangerous to the point where he and Drai are close to asking out. All assets should be on the table to build a winner, picks and prospects
You want those two to walk? Put all of the eggs in one basket like you're suggesting. No successful teams win without strong development.

Last edited:

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Fair is fair, Larsson wanted to move on. Holland didn't want him to go. Big loss for the blue line.

Oh I know Larsson didn't want to be in Edmonton anymore but replacing him with the Keith/Ceci combo was a disaster. Terrible waste of cap space when you look at what defenseman that were available this last off season. The Oilers need to fix that defense but I don't think Holland is the GM to do that unfortunately.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
6+ years into McDavid’s career and the oilers still don’t want to trade away precious picks for proven talent? The situation is getting dangerous to the point where he and Drai are close to asking out. All assets should be on the table to build a winner, picks and prospects

important correction.... precious 1st round picks for a RENTAL.

We would absolutely trade our 1st and more for a guy with term (or sign and trade).

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Craig Anderson has gotten his annual long-term injury out of the way and has looked pretty darned good when healthy for us.

And he morphs into some sort of crazy-good goalie in the playoffs.

And he'd cost less than the rumored cost for Korpisalo.

Reactions: Chainshot

member 334057

Craig Anderson has gotten his annual long-term injury out of the way and has looked pretty darned good when healthy for us.

Also with Anderson/Smith the Oilers would be able to claim the oldest goaltending duo ever?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The Oilers need a legit starter in net. Who is the closest to that and might be available?

Let's just save ourselves some time and skip the Cary Price talk.

The only stipulation is that Holland stated not too long ago he wouldn't give up a 1st or a top prospect for a rental. If you're suggesting a rental goaltender, keep that in mind.

Aaaaaaaad GO!

Edmonton is desperate and in a crappy cap situation and every GM knows it, so if you're taking those things off of the board, then the talk is short and the Oilers are looking at a B level goalie at best. Also its likely because the Oilers are in a terrible cap situation that they're going to have to bribe a team to take a bad contract like Barrie's

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Hard to say exactly but he wouldn't cost a 1st, and I don't see why the Ducks would give him a way for next to nothing. So some sort of "B level" asset or in that neighborhood.

Would happily keep him as a solid backup but it would also be cool to get a decent asset out of a player who was brought in on a two way FA deal, and it would be great to see him end up somewhere with the opportunity to grab a starting job. Also have an in house replacement in Dostal.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Edmonton is desperate and in a crappy cap situation and every GM knows it, so if you're taking those things off of the board, then the talk is short and the Oilers are looking at a B level goalie at best. Also its likely because the Oilers are in a terrible cap situation that they're going to have to bribe a team to take a bad contract like Barrie's

Man, I hate these takes. Unless it's a situation like the Canes and Habs, teams don't go out of their way to screw other teams. They are always looking to improve their team and fit their plans. Does it mean that teams will ask for more, absolutely they will. But it doesn't mean they will ignore or decline trades because Edmonton is desperate. They will make the trades they feel is in the best interest of their team, regardless of the Oilers desperation and cap situation.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Anthony Stolarz. Oilers fans may not remember him overly fondly but he's come into his own in the Ducks org the past three seasons. He isn't going to unseat Gibson but could be a late blooming starter elsewhere. One year left at 950k

Dostal ready to be back up?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
1) Agreed, everyone knows Edmonton is desperate for a goalie. That means Edmonton has to find a trade that works for both teams instead of begging a team to drop their #2 goalie to us for an overpayment of picks and prospects. It makes it harder. Especially with a GM who is afraid to make moves.
2) Only fools think Tyson Barrie is on a bad contract. There are other examples you could have used which makes me think you are trolling for reactions.
3) Yes, we're probably looking at a B level goalie at best. Great take considering the players who have been rumored to be available.
4) Holland still isn't moving a 1st or top prospect for a rental. There needs to be term for a 1st to be involved.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oh I know Larsson didn't want to be in Edmonton anymore but replacing him with the Keith/Ceci combo was a disaster. Terrible waste of cap space when you look at what defenseman that were available this last off season. The Oilers need to fix that defense but I don't think Holland is the GM to do that unfortunately.
The Keith/Ceci combo isn't the issue in Edmonton. Especially Ceci, he's been good value for his price. Keith is still paid like he is in his prime, but is better than he was advertised to be. Our third pair is atrocious. But mostly its our system play. Larsson wouldn't help with that.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well Holland made a tough decision today and it was probably the right one. If he has enough guts to fire his coach mid-season (as I understand it, he has never done that before) he might have the guts to make a major trade for a real #1 Goalie. We'll see.

I am still hoping for a guy like Varlamov. Is Anderson the right guy for Edmonton? He is cheap but man he is also old.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers definitely need to hold on to that first and their second (or third) while they're at it. They need to keep drafting and developing and one of those two 2022 picks needs to be used on a goalie.
We don't have our 3rd (maybe 2nd due to trade conditions, but likely 3rd). I'd be fine with trading our 1st if it brought us a starting goalie with term, but other than that, you're right. We can't sacrifice the future for today.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Dostal ready to be back up?

I wouldn't want to say with 100% certainty but I feel that this is a growth year for the Ducks, the kid has looked good in his limited opportunities and it definitely wouldn't hurt to let him take whatever games Gibson sits out down the stretch.

That said, whether in the same trade as Stolarz or separate, would want to replace him with an NHL capable goalie of some sort, so that we wouldn't be left with just Gibson and kids. Even just a veteran fringe #2/3 type for the remainder of the year.

Reactions: A1LeafNation

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well Holland made a tough decision today and it was probably the right one. If he has enough guts to fire his coach mid-season (as I understand it, he has never done that before) he might have the guts to make a major trade for a real #1 Goalie. We'll see.

I am still hoping for a guy like Varlamov. Is Anderson the right guy for Edmonton? He is cheap but man he is also old.
It's getting to the point where I'd try Anderson if Buffalo would take either Smith or Koskinen for him (Koskinen probably, given Smith having a 2nd year on his deal). Of course it would be Koskinen and a + because Buffalo has no reason to do that trade, which is bad buying for Edmonton, but I'm nearly desperate enough to do it, as long as the + wasn't anything too good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad