Value of: Best defenseman in return for Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
1. Heiskanen
2 close 2nd Parayko

Rangers would have to offer multiple D [since Fox not available], would gut the team, so no.

IF deal were now would do
Miller + Strome + Hajek + Geo
+ 2022, 2023 + 2024 1sts unprotected

but could not deviate from that pick heavy offer with other prospects
Quantity for quality as usual with your proposals. Fox is absolutely the key piece if NYR trades for Matthews. Fox isn't some untouchable Moses at that point.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Why would Arizona even contemplate a trade for Matthews when there is an outside chance he signs there as a free agent? Isn't that the narrative? He only signed a five year deal and will bolt from Toronto?

Seriously, Matthews isn't going anywhere, at least for the next three years.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Quantity for quality as usual with your proposals. Fox is absolutely the key piece if NYR trades for Matthews. Fox isn't some untouchable Moses at that point.

1. reality says hello, Fox has nmc, notoriously will only play for NYR
2. offer from ny is sufficient quality given AM only has 3 seasons incl this one before being ufa and likely can force a trade to likely destination AZ after 2

1sts/multiple pieces worth multiple 1sts
are not chopped liver

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Damn I love Miro but if Matthews was on the table for him I'd have to make that deal. Only way that'd happen is if he wanted out of Toronto I'd imagine. Dallas would have to add more. Any dman for Matthews straight up isn't happening/wouldn't happen

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Damn I love Miro but if Matthews was on the table for him I'd have to make that deal. Only way that'd happen is if he wanted out of Toronto I'd imagine. Dallas would have to add more. Any dman for Matthews straight up isn't happening/wouldn't happen

General question, why do we value F so much more than D that young F around TOP 5 on his position is worth more than any defencmen in the league (especially considering we have few very young elite D with contracts better than Matthews one)

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
no they'll lose him for nothing in free agency
Mark my words, Matthews will get close to UFA, have the Leafs painted in to a corner, sign the largest contract in NHL history, further cement the Leafs cap situation and ensure that the only time anyone in Toronto sees the Stanley Cup is either when they visit the Hall of Fame or when the Ontario kids who won it that year bring it home in the summer.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I’d argue that a franchise G is more valuable.

From a pure winning POV, maybe. But there's an entertainment business side of things and no one is going to an NHL game to see a great goaltending performance. Matthews is not only an elite player, he's a crowd drawing talent.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
There’s no logic in trading your best player to “balance the roster” there’s more of a chance mcdavid grows tired of Edmonton and decides to bring a cup home to TO than there is in Toronto getting bent over in sending Matthews anywhere. Especially a poverty franchise like the yotes
If there is a chance that Mcjesus wants to come home, is there not also the chance that 34 wants to go home as well. Or at least play in a US city. Hello Florida, tax free.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
1. reality says hello, Fox has nmc, notoriously will only play for NYR
2. offer from ny is sufficient quality given AM only has 3 seasons incl this one before being ufa and likely can force a trade to likely destination AZ after 2

1sts/multiple pieces worth multiple 1sts
are not chopped liver

fox can’t have NMC until is Fa years correct? Not saying it’s going to happen of course. But both can be traded without restrictions as of now?

also on what planet would he force a trade from New York to arizona

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
fox can’t have NMC until is Fa years correct? Not saying it’s going to happen of course. But both can be traded without restrictions as of now?

also on what planet would he force a trade from New York to arizona
think the 2nd one he's talking about AM, not Fox, if Im reading it correctly

Reactions: bernmeister

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The Leafs don't need defensive help to the point where we'd trade a franchise player for it, good grief. It's not 2018 any more guys.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If Leafs wanted to trade Matthews for elite defenseman, then roll with Marner, Tavares, Nylander as their forward core, is there a trade out there that makes sense value wise?
Read below as to why this doesn't happen. The only D that even raise an eyebrow here are makar, Hedman and maybe a package with nurse

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If there is a chance that Mcjesus wants to come home, is there not also the chance that 34 wants to go home as well. Or at least play in a US city. Hello Florida, tax free.

????? Toronto is 100 miles closer to Scottsdale than Miami.

Both are 6.5 hr flights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad