Value of: Best defenseman in return for Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
No Defense alone is worth Mathews the other team would have to add a quality asset.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don’t think Matthews is overpaid, but I’m not sure losing eight years of Heiskanen or five years of Makar is worth it for three years of Matthews from Dallas or Colorado’s perspectives. Dallas is teetering on a retool/rebuild as it is, and Colorado would end-up in a similar cap and structural position as the Leafs if if they trade Makar for Matthews.

If we are talking about the value of defenseman Matthews returns it is premiere level.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
If we are talking about the value of defenseman Matthews returns it is premiere level.

Based off of what? I contend that Dallas and Colorado would be foolish to make that trade, and there is no historical context for that kind of swap. Value doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Based off of what? I contend that Dallas and Colorado would be foolish to make that trade, and there is no historical context for that kind of swap. Value doesn’t exist in a vacuum.

meh. Dallas.

If they are confident Matthews would sign. They need forwards and a star C. Seguin benn are getting old. They have suter, klingberg (he wants to come back) lindell. With Harley coming up.

That one would make sense.

makar…… I mean they have similar value in vaccum. But do colorado go all in on offence? They have byram. Girard. Toews.

For Toronto we have rielly NMC and it is more of the “same” but better. Small pick moving D.

Dallas would be the better fit I think.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Not sure if I would trade Moritz Seider for Matthews.

Seider would be just too perfect for current Toronto team. He would be cheap, and they could use those Matthews millions to build a real team depth, like a REAL Contender. Not the FAKE contender like they are acting now.

Let's leave it as just a dream.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Well i dont see a daily mc david, draisatl, mackinnon, kucherov trade thread...i understant people have fantasies about ripping the Leafs in a Matthews trade but we are not the Sabres or teams who lose their captain franchise center for nothing

If you are going to talk trash about a random team, you should pick one that’s had less playoff success than Toronto has the past 17 years

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Well i dont see a daily mc david, draisatl, mackinnon, kucherov trade thread...i understant people have fantasies about ripping the Leafs in a Matthews trade but we are not the Sabres or teams who lose their captain franchise center for nothing
Well I can’t tell you why people don’t make those trade proposals. Maybe because Toronto has one of, if not, the biggest fan base.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Send him to the Coyotes. Target a package return because depth is Toronto's issue, not a lack of big name talent.

Soderstrom, Hayton, Keller and multiple picks.

Four or five assets under the age of 24 with upward trending arrows.
Coyotes cannot trade young NHL ready players. They would have NOBODY left in the organization.

Reactions: Linds

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Coyotes cannot trade young NHL ready players. They would have NOBODY left in the organization.
They've got an abundance of cap space, draft selections and trade capital. They'd have the pieces available to build a core around Matthews and Chychrun if it came to that.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I disagree. Unless we're talking Dominik Hasek level goalie, which probably slides more into the generational talent level category rather than franchise.
I was thinking of Carey Price to be honest.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
They've got an abundance of cap space, draft selections and trade capital. They'd have the pieces available to build a core around Matthews and Chychrun if it came to that.

thats assuming that it wouldn’t take Chychrun to get Matthews which kinda follows the op

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
thats assuming that it wouldn’t take Chychrun to get Matthews which kinda follows the op
As I stated earlier, putting all of their eggs into one basket ultimately puts the Leafs in the same position. And you're looking at just that when Chychrun enters the conversation.

The Leafs need to address their depth, not the top end of their lineup. Why would they target Chychrun when they just paid Reilly?

Acquiring multiple players at the beginning of their career earnings cycle is how Toronto can allocate the money to address multiple areas of the roster instead of just one.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. Heiskanen
2 close 2nd Parayko

Rangers would have to offer multiple D [since Fox not available], would gut the team, so no.

IF deal were now would do
Miller + Strome + Hajek + Geo
+ 2022, 2023 + 2024 1sts unprotected

but could not deviate from that pick heavy offer with other prospects

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
As I stated earlier, putting all of their eggs into one basket ultimately puts the Leafs in the same position. And you're looking at just that when Chychrun enters the conversation.

The Leafs need to address their depth, not the top end of their lineup. Why would they target Chychrun when they just paid Reilly?

Acquiring multiple players at the beginning of their career earnings cycle is how Toronto can allocate the money to address multiple areas of the roster instead of just one.
I agree, I have no horse in the race, I didn’t read the entire thread sorry. Depth throughout the lineup is so important and would sacrifice a winger before center any day

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I`d say a worthy package would be from Dallas:

Heiskanen
Hintz

for

Matthews

Heiskanen is actually leading Dallas in points as a D. He has 5p more than any pther player on team. Hintz was ppg as 2C last season, now he has started slower. ooh, and salaries are a wash.

Not a chance. I wouldn’t do Heiskanen for Matthews. Sure he’s one of the top goal scorers, but I’m not a fan of the rest of his game. Plus he’s a UFA in 3 years

Heiskanen is signed for 8 more years and is exactly what Dallas needs to build around moving forward

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Slavin is one of the big differences between Carolina and Toronto that makes Carolina a true contender. I wouldn't trade Slavin for anyone other than McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad