Value of: Best defenseman in return for Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Franchise C is the most valuable asset in the league.

Matthews is paid like one. And is one.
I don’t think Matthews is overpaid, but I’m not sure losing eight years of Heiskanen or five years of Makar is worth it for three years of Matthews from Dallas or Colorado’s perspectives. Dallas is teetering on a retool/rebuild as it is, and Colorado would end-up in a similar cap and structural position as the Leafs if if they trade Makar for Matthews.

Reactions: bernmeister

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Leafs wanted more depth I'd rather just trade Nylander for a few solid players than using Matthews.
What's the comparable trade return for a scoring winger though? You're not getting anything close to what you'd get for Matthews.

Sam Reinhart was traded for a 1st and a college goaltending prospect. You could argue Conor Garland was moved for the 9th pick. Is that kind of return really helping with the depth?

Moving Matthews starts with the idea that there's a potential that he doesn't want to re-sign Toronto a couple years down the road. You're going to maximize that return if you sell the asset with term still left on it. If it gets to the point where he's an impending UFA, the quality of that return will drastically decrease.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
has he really been awful, or is he a product of how bad that team is? and while I DO believe there should be a + coming back to TOR, considering the salary of AM, not sure it'd be as much as most TOR fans are expecting

and CAN AZ afford AM?
Considering his deal is all front loaded bonus’s yeah they can. (Marners deal is the same)
Matthews doesn’t get traded anywhere unless it becomes choice between him or mcdavid. So not happening

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Why is it hard to understand this is a fan site where fake trades are made.
Well i dont see a daily mc david, draisatl, mackinnon, kucherov trade thread...i understant people have fantasies about ripping the Leafs in a Matthews trade but we are not the Sabres or teams who lose their captain franchise center for nothing

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Considering his deal is all front loaded bonus’s yeah they can. (Marners deal is the same)
Matthews doesn’t get traded anywhere unless it becomes choice between him or mcdavid. So not happening
actually, since his salary is all in bonuses, it makes itworse for AZ. instead of spreading his salary over the season they have to write a 7+m check at the beginning

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Leafs will not trade Matthews, how hard is it to understand this?
since this is all pretend, pretend AM has made it known he's going UFA and not signing an early extension in TOR. if you're the GM you have to consider trading him, and like some posters have noted, the more term has carries in a trade, the better the return.

so now, with that being framed...

Reactions: dukeofjive

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Well i dont see a daily mc david, draisatl, mackinnon, kucherov trade thread...i understant people have fantasies about ripping the Leafs in a Matthews trade but we are not the Sabres or teams who lose their captain franchise center for nothing
who's offered nothing? some 'offers' are better than others

this is not something to take so seriously

its not like it's some "bracco/kerfoot/3rd" offers

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
There's no equal value trade that makes sense without him forcing his way out of Toronto. You don't decimate your center depth like that.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Good lord talk about seeing persecution around every corner. Perhaps just don't open the trade board if you are too fragile to handle trade proposals.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`d say a worthy package would be from Dallas:

Heiskanen
Hintz

for

Matthews

Heiskanen is actually leading Dallas in points as a D. He has 5p more than any pther player on team. Hintz was ppg as 2C last season, now he has started slower. ooh, and salaries are a wash.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
actually, since his salary is all in bonuses, it makes itworse for AZ. instead of spreading his salary over the season they have to write a 7+m check at the beginning
Good thing he’s way better than a $7m player. still massive savings in aav to cash. If $7m for a top5 player isn’t doable then that poverty franchise should fold.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Good thing he’s way better than a $7m player. still massive savings in aav to cash. If $7m for a top5 player isn’t doable then that poverty franchise should fold.
and missed the point. his contract is what it is.
would you rather write a 7m check once, or pay it out over several weeks? that's exactly why BUF got what they got for ROR

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008

There's more logic to Matthews deal than ones like Draisatl McKinnon Kucherov etc. with how much the Leafs are paying for their top 4 forwards making a trade of one of them to balance out the rest logical after what has happened in the playoffs repeatedly. Tavares has NTC, while Marner and Nylander may be better trade candidates Matthews is a sleeper idea because he would return the best package, while still leaving the Leafs with three high level forwards, including Marner/Tavares who are showing obvious chemistry. In addition it would be getting ahead of potential UFA situation for an American player.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
jake c plus is probably the answer.

unless Dallas decided to trade heiskanen and resign klingberg

In that scenario Stars might prefer to offer Klingberg instead and keep Heiskanen. Not sure that's so attractive to Leafs though.

They'd have a problem making the cap work anyway. Might need to dump one of Benn, Sequin, Radulov, or one of the goalies, maybe somewhere else in a separate trade. Easier said than done for sure.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
There's more logic to Matthews deal than ones like Draisatl McKinnon Kucherov etc. with how much the Leafs are paying for their top 4 forwards making a trade of one of them to balance out the rest logical after what has happened in the playoffs repeatedly. Tavares has NTC, while Marner and Nylander may be better trade candidates Matthews is a sleeper idea because he would return the best package, while still leaving the Leafs with three high level forwards, including Marner/Tavares who are showing obvious chemistry. In addition it would be getting ahead of potential UFA situation for an American player.
There’s no logic in trading your best player to “balance the roster” there’s more of a chance mcdavid grows tired of Edmonton and decides to bring a cup home to TO than there is in Toronto getting bent over in sending Matthews anywhere. Especially a poverty franchise like the yotes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad