Value of: Best defenseman in return for Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Because trades involving Rocket Richard winners in their early 20s who actually play a two way game... don't happen. It is unfathomable.

Eichel literally got traded because the bridge between him and Buffalo got nuked from orbit and then they nuked the ashes again because that just wasn't good enough the first time.
Gretzky got traded/sold because Peter Pocklington is a cheap sack of shit who couldn't afford his team.

Outside of some massive event, guys like Auston Matthews do not get traded. Your choice of Seth Jones was not a very good one. He's not a franchise D-man just because he got picked in the top 4 of the draft. He was traded 1v1 for Ryan Johansen who was a very good player but not anywhere close to the realm of Matthews. Not even at Johansen's peak. Johansen's best year in the league? He had two more points than Auston Matthews had as a rookie... while playing 150 more minutes (1599 for Johansen, 1446 for Matthews.)

Offers are made for these kind of players all the time... but without some inciting event, they are not ever moved because the price to make it happen is so high it would kill the acquiring team. I mean, Eichel is basically worthless for this year and there are very serious doubts about his effectiveness going forward... and he got dealt for Tuch, a high draft pick in Krebs, and another high pick and that was viewed as a bargain basement price.

Since when is Matthews a 2 way centre? If he was this, why is it he isn't out there killing penalties like the top 2 way centres in the league? You want your best players on the ice in all situations... and Matthews isn't there killing penalties in the trenches. Why is that?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Matthews for Shattenkirk

Leafs get one of the best scoring defenseman in the World RIGHT NOW and save some necessary cap dollars long term.
Ducks get a proven although streaky center to hopefully get them into the playoffs

Ducks maybe add a small piece

Jon77

Feb 1, 2021
While a clear step below, Eichel got traded so I'm sure Matthews can be traded too. Idk why people make it seem like trades are unfathomable, calm down people lol.
Anyone ever hear of a guy named Gretzky...

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
Dahlin + one of Olofsson/Mittelstadt/Thompson + Florida 1st '22

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
There's nothing 1 for 1. He's worth more than any Dman in the league. The only 3 should even be worthwhile for him are Fox, Makar, and McAvoy.

rogking65

May 13, 2016
The more years on the contract made the AAV go up, so taking fewer years made it so he had a lower AAV.
I would think it is the other way...more years spread signing bonuses out and makes the average annual smaller, Is there some backwards math I am not aware of?

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
If Leafs wanted to trade Matthews for elite defenseman, then roll with Marner, Tavares, Nylander as their forward core, is there a trade out there that makes sense value wise?

As some have mentioned, Matthews is a very rare commodity, not just in one draft but in any. He IS a two-way center. He's exceptional at stripping the puck. He has the best shot in the league and the best arsenal of shots. He's a Rocket award winning center and just entering the beginning of the middle of his career, with more career to go than is behind him.

You have to start with a defenseman that entails all of that, or at the very least appears capable of separating himself in similar stark contrast. Adam Fox is the closest comparison: award winning, same age, and appears like he's separating himself from everyone else. In other words and in both instances: a foundational cornerstone.

So the next question raised has to be, how often do franchises trade their foundational cornerstones? History says: Not often. The next question raised has to be: How often do two clubs desire to move their foundational cornerstones right at the moment each club needs the others' player? Have to believe that the answer is again: Not often.

So the OP is looking for a couple of unicorn situations converging at once. I think a better question is dealing with possibilities with plausibility. The question asked is highly implausible either way.

Toronto's actual situation is this: Matthews is the de facto captain while not the actual captain and the club's far and away difference making superstar. Nylander is emerging as the club's true number two positive influence. Jack Campbell it's third pillar. Tavares is a very good player with a very unfortunate contract post-Covid NHL. The most repeated point of cure for all that ails Toronto is Marner. So the play would be -- per the OP's observational needs -- what situation yields the most bang for the buck moving Marner? Most informed fans would then caveat that IF somehow, some way, Tavares could be convinced to move his contract, then what situation yields the most for moving him? Which, when faced with yield, brings us back to Marner if the expectation of any elite asset coming back in a deal.

And for what it's worth, I think most Leafs fans wouldn't trade Matthews for maybe all but one player in the league. And I also think, most Leafs fans are waiting for that player to preview his next contract by what pajamas he wore as a kid.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs shouldn't be trading Matthews. They can't trade Tavares. They should trade Marner for a top 6 forward who makes less to get their cap re-allocated.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kulak. Ready to trade him but the Leafs need to retain 50% for cap issues.

I know this is going to be a controversial trade. It favors the Leafs but one has to give to get.

:popcorn:

Please Note...before I make my best offers, there has been some heavy drinking involved so as to take off the sting of the loss. I may also have misspelled some names.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad