BENCH CHABOT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Zub is a top 4 defenceman and I think it fair to say Zaitsev is too. Right now, Zub is a 3b and Zaitsev a 4D.

Let's not get too lost here trashing the defence. Yes, they've been bad and Chabot's choice making has to improve; it seems like he loses focus on defence. Entirely behind the play and late with his reactions. Playing 'catch-up'.

I think that's why fans loved the Alfie, Karlsson and Stone's of this team that read the play at a high level and stopped rushes at critical moments. We do have to cut Chabot see slack for being below Norris-trophy level.

All-in-all it's a team effort and the team has been bad. The forwards have to play better defence. Some of that is inexperience, but there's lazyness that needs rooting out too.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
This is pretty short-sighted. You are ignoring the fact that they have drafted a D in the first round in three straight drafts, including one at 5th overall (JBD, Thomson, and Sanderson) and two D in the 2nd round (Tychonick and Kleven). So it's pretty clear they have targeted D as an area to improve on.
9 years of nothing. Yes, they jumped back in to correct. Great. It takes 2-4 years past draft to get a functioning defensemen. It could mean that Chabot will be the lone top 4 D for another 2-3 years.

In the meantime, you play him over 30 minutes a game and you burn him out.
In the meantime, you have to sign players to fill your roster. Players that could demand 2-7 year deals. Which on this team could block some of the up and coming young defensemen and further slow the process down.

where the hell were they in 2010 to 2017..9 years one guy..ONE..

And you cannot even pin this on a rebuild!!!! They only moved EK (At least the one guy who had value).

Reactions: h2owned

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
9 years of nothing. Yes, they jumped back in to correct. Great. It takes 2-4 years past draft to get a functioning defensemen. It could mean that Chabot will be the lone top 4 D for another 2-3 years.

In the meantime, you play him over 30 minutes a game and you burn him out.
In the meantime, you have to sign players to fill your roster. Players that could demand 2-7 year deals. Which on this team could block some of the up and coming young defensemen and further slow the process down.

where the hell were they in 2010 to 2017..9 years one guy..ONE..

And you cannot even pin this on a rebuild!!!! They only moved EK (At least the one guy who had value).
You’re not making any sense and you’re contradicting yourself. They were bad at drafting and developing D for that time period. You just said you have to draft your top 4 D, not trade or sign for them. Which is what they are now doing. They have now focused on drafting d in recent years to try to improve it. Whether or not they pan out remains to be seen, but it’s clear they haven’t forgotten about defence and its clear what kind of d core they are building.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
i dunno about benching but how about we stop playing him 30+ minutes a game. He's not Karlsson and being deployed like him isn't helping anyone

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I didn't want to post here, trying to stay positive in these times, but this thread is absolutely embarrassing! Bench Chabot?

Chabot's ice time needs to be reduced and NOW before he is burnt out.

Reactions: topshelf15

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Zub is a top 4 defenceman and I think it fair to say Zaitsev is too. Right now, Zub is a 3b and Zaitsev a 4D.

Let's not get too lost here trashing the defence. Yes, they've been bad and Chabot's choice making has to improve; it seems like he loses focus on defence. Entirely behind the play and late with his reactions. Playing 'catch-up'.

I think that's why fans loved the Alfie, Karlsson and Stone's of this team that read the play at a high level and stopped rushes at critical moments. We do have to cut Chabot see slack for being below Norris-trophy level.

All-in-all it's a team effort and the team has been bad. The forwards have to play better defence. Some of that is inexperience, but there's lazyness that needs rooting out too.
Zaitsev is not a top 4 dman. Zub is, Zaitsev isn't. Zaitsev is a bottom pairing replacement dman.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
So you bench him. Then what? Keep throwing him out there for 30+ minutes when he comes back only to get the same results because you've changed nothing?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Too late for that.

Guy Boucher, Marc Crawford and now DJ Smith have allowed Chabot to do the same thing she has always done. If Chabot was being taught like Brannstrom, nipping that shit in the bud so to speak, then the outcome may be different. Now, these are faults in his game that have to be managed because you gave him 8M to do the same shit, over and over again. I know DJ benched him for a 9 minute stretch earlier for the shit he does, but that's it.

He got 8M playing like this, he ain't changing. Same thing with Karlsson. If there was any accountability for his shit, he would be twice the defenceman that he is today. But it requires courage from management, and maturity and wisdom from the player. I am not talking benching here, that is too late, but he needs to be spoken with.

Does he play too much? Yes, and every OT he is a ticking time bomb. He runs out of gas, but he is trying to lead this team. To say it was fatigue that caused that OT mistake, I don't buy it. No matter how fatigued you are, that is 3 on 1 with a forward playing defence in OT. He simply made a bonehead play

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Now, these are faults in his game that have to be managed because you gave him 8M to do the same shit, over and over again.
I think Sens fans have to accept that Chabot is a lower tier #1 defenseman. Like Morgan Rielly on the Leafs. Good to very good offensively but fair to average defensively. Will have some really good games but rarely dominate. And will not be considered a top 10 D man in the NHL .
If the Sens are ever going to go anywhere they need a guy like Sanderson to be at least as good or better than Chabot.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This. The only problem is similar to with EK, we have no other competetive defensemen that we can rely on. Need to either play him <25 min and get the best performance out of him but less out of the team, or play him more and expect more mistakes from him but better overall team fluidity.

I actually get shivers thinking of our defense without Chabot.

Karlsson has had guys like Methot, Gonchar, Kuba, Phaneuf (1 season), and several other competent ones behind him. We haven't had a great D-squad since Gonchar left because several young guys stagnated early or even regressed, but it's never been as close as bad as it has been the last 2-3 seasons.

Leaf's (who had documented defense problems) recent cap dump is a our #2 D-man

Montreal's 8th D-man when they were 27th OA in the standings is our #3 D-man

A very disappointing former 3rd OA pick who is with his 4th team in 4 years is our #4 D-man.

We're not even talking about the forward groups Karlsson played with, while it wasn't the Penguins, it was also miles better than the current one.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think Sens fans have to accept that Chabot is a lower tier #1 defenseman. Like Morgan Rielly on the Leafs. Good to very good offensively but fair to average defensively. Will have some really good games but rarely dominate. And will not be considered a top 10 D man in the NHL .
If the Sens are ever going to go anywhere they need a guy like Sanderson to be at least as good or better than Chabot.
Agreed, he is not another Karlsson who he often gets associated with, nor does he currently have some players of the caliber that 65 got to play with. He will be a good piece on a good team similar to Tkachuk, but not a superstar.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
2009..Jarred Cowan, 9th in round 1...injuries and became a bust
2009..Chris Wideman, 4th round #100...Showed promise, got injured and then pulled a Peel and is gone.
2010 .. no D man drafted above 5th round
2011..no D man darfted above teh 5th round
2012..Codi Cecci, 15th in round 1..Plateaued at 4/5 d level, but wanted to be paid as a 2/3..shipped off. His career is at best unimpressive
2012..Tim Boyle, 4th round #106...Bust
2013..Ben Harper, 4th round #108..floundering as a 6/7.
2014...Englund, 3rd round...bust
2014..Gendron, 3rd round..bust
2015..Chabot, A HOME RUN
2015..Wolanin..4th round...probably a bust
2016..Lajoie a 5h round...a Bust
2017..No D man drafted

in 9 years, only 3 Dmen were drafted in round 1..Two ended up being; a bust and a 5/6 underachieving player.
in 9 years, only 2 Dmen drafted by the Sens are playing regularly and a 3rd (Harper is in/out of the lineup)

you draft top 4 D, you do not trade for or free agent sign. It is too difficult. Top 4 D men are precious and their teams do not often trade them. When they do, it is for a significant return.
You do not often sign them as free agents. They typically command big dollars and long term and are often nearing 30, so term becomes an issue.

Melnyk was on Toronto radio 2 years ago, criticizing the Leafs and adding that they forgot about the Defense...It seems that maybe, he forgot the defense on his own team.

Really shows how lacking they have been.. Should have started fixing this in 2015.. It seems to be a lot easier to draft forwards that can play a role vs D men that can play at all. Its never too late for the organization but the gap in drafting D is going to catch up with us as forwards hit their window to compete and we are still bringing our D along.

Reactions: Cosmix and Yak

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Bench Chabot? Very inexperienced , emotional over reaction. We've seen a few of these lately that just exhibit a lack of understanding or a very cursory understanding.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Chabot was at JIC at tva sports. At the end of the interview. JIC said the lemonade not good at the ctc or what. Chabot, yeah I see that. Probably not happy with the play I do. JIC don’t worry with that, you’re boss know you bring more good thing

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think Sens fans have to accept that Chabot is a lower tier #1 defenseman

Can't agree with this until I see him on a team with more structure and talent.

Yes, no question his 1-1 defending skills aren't up there with top defensive D but he breaks up plenty of plays with anticipation and then moves the puck up.

If he was on the Leafs, he would be their #1 D and killing it offensively while having a safety blanket partner to do more defending.

The OT play last night (and a couple of weeks ago) were not good and he does need to make a better decision there but it doesn't take away what he does all game each game.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Can't agree with this until I see him on a team with more structure and talent.

Yes, no question his 1-1 defending skills aren't up there with top defensive D but he breaks up plenty of plays with anticipation and then moves the puck up.

If he was on the Leafs, he would be their #1 D and killing it offensively while having a safety blanket partner to do more defending.

The OT play last night (and a couple of weeks ago) were not good and he does need to make a better decision there but it doesn't take away what he does all game each game.
This is probably a good point.

Need to see him on an NHL team in games that matter to really see where he's at.

Tough to gauge in throwaway rebuild seasons with subpar talent around him.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Karlsson has had guys like Methot, Gonchar, Kuba, Phaneuf (1 season), and several other competent ones behind him. We haven't had a great D-squad since Gonchar left because several young guys stagnated early or even regressed, but it's never been as close as bad as it has been the last 2-3 seasons.

Leaf's (who had documented defense problems) recent cap dump is a our #2 D-man

Montreal's 8th D-man when they were 27th OA in the standings is our #3 D-man

A very disappointing former 3rd OA pick who is with his 4th team in 4 years is our #4 D-man.

We're not even talking about the forward groups Karlsson played with, while it wasn't the Penguins, it was also miles better than the current one.
The early years of the franchise had poor defensemen too.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So Chabot has made a couple of boneheaded OT plays the past week or so. One was a line change the other was the pass that hit Matthews

What does Zaitsev have to do with either of those plays? And would this thread exist had those plays not happened?

Zaitsev isn't a top notch 1st pair defender but he is quite capable of playing top 4 minutes. He's a little over utilized and would be better slotted on the 2nd pair

I'd like to see a stretch of games with Zaitsev and Zub switched.

Right now, Chabot is being over used because of the lack of a bottom pair that Smith trusts. Fortunately that is easier to solve than acquiring a top 4 D.

Reactions: Adrianopolous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad