BENCH CHABOT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Excuses galore for a player clearly not being held accountable for his play. Same shit every game and there are no consequences

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Excuses galore for a player clearly not being held accountable for his play. Same shit every game and there are no consequences
What consequences do you expect exactly? I’m all in to point out these mistakes on message boards. But benching? Or taking off the PP ? No I don’t agree with that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It is amazing how we are all watching the same things and come to radically different opinions. Before I give my opinion I will say that the team on a whole, is a train wreck at getting the puck out of their zone a lot of the time.

I think the point of it all is that Chabot can be so much better. And those that have watched this team since he played his first game have seen what he can do when he is at his best. Through these old eyes of mine and a few of my other pals, for every great play he makes there is a bad one. The comparison to Karlsson on his ability to skate or pass the puck of of trouble is not a good one. He is not even close to 65 in his ability to make a quick smart play or carry the puck out of trouble. He makes careless, nonchalant plays every game.

When I go through all the posts in this thread, a lot of people say how great he is before offering up an excuse for his poor play. Great players adapt to the situation. They learn from their mistakes. They improve by knowing their limitations and minimizing poor plays. They reduce the risk by adding these things up and hopefully, making the right plays. No player is perfect so you try to minimize those errors. But I see Chabot make the same lazy, poor decisions game after game.

The first excuse is he is playing too much and this is a valid point. Last night he played less than usual and I actually thought he was playing a safer, smarter game. Was a short sample size unfortunately. Maybe he needs a game or two to adjust to having more gas in the tank. Let's hope that was the case.

There is no doubt the quality of your partner, the forwards, the system deployed are all factors. It is a team game. Last night against the Habs, there weren't too many players who stood out in a positive way. But unfortunately, Chabot made a few more poor plays that contributed to goals against. The shorty started when he skated into a forechecker and lost possession of the puck. The third goal, he attempted two passes that ended up on the other teams stick. As a few have pointed out in here, this is not an uncommon occurrence. We see it game after game. Sometimes it ends up in the back of the net, sometimes it doesn't. But it happens all too often. If he has no play, eat the puck or clear it in a safe place. Watch what Zub does and learn something. For all the complaints about Zaitsev, I don't see him making the same kinds of mistakes Chabot does. He is far from perfect, but I see effort, physicality, and safer decisions. Would like to see more of it from Chabot because we have seen him do it before. Last point... good players make the people they play with play better, not the other way around. Spezza and Karlsson made who they played with better. Much better. Ask Greening who to thank for his big payday.

Chabot can be great. We've seen it as he has all the tools. Would be nice to see that player more often.

This is an excellent post. Hits the nail on the head on a few fronts.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think to Chabot, it would be. I think he will know that he is not playing up to the standards of an 8M playert

I think he’s pretty aware.

You can bench him or whatever but I get the feeling that no one is harder in Chabot than Chabot.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's true that Chabot sucks and is overpaid.

What about Chabot for Chiarot + Mete + Lehkonen + 2nd

Montreal would be (pretty damn happy to pry him out of your hands) ready to take him so just let us know when you're ready, thanks

- All Habs fans

Chabot-Weber now and Chabot-Romanov for the next 7 years

The kind of piece that'd instantly make them a serious contender

Now the Sens without Chabot :

Reilly-Zub
Coburn-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Gudbranson

:laugh:

Please close this thread, it's like an insult to hockey. Criticize Chabot plays in GDTs but a whole thread to undermine our only legit top-4 D-man leaves a really bad taste

Yes he made several bad plays this season but :

- no training camp after 10 months off
- very condensed schedule
- plays way too much in some games
- plays often against the best top-6 NHL forward groups (Toronto, Winnipeg, Edmonton, rest of the division not shabby at all)
- he has no legit 1st line partner like a Methot
- no other legit top-4 D-men behind him
- forward group lacking experience or just "average"
- unproven coach
- he was the player who had the puck on his stick the most in the whole NHL 2 years ago, I haven't seen this stat this season but I suspect he is still around the top, which automatically means more "turnovers"

Take it as excuses or reality I don't even care but this thread is embarrassing as a Sens fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blotto71

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Chabot was never the problem

The problem is that we overplay him because we don’t have many good options on D. I like Reilly, but he’s a bottom pair option.

This fanbase has always treated our star players like shit, and Chabot appears to be no different.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

The problem is that we overplay him because we don’t have many good options on D. I like Reilly, but he’s a bottom pair option.

This fanbase has always treated our star players like shit, and Chabot appears to be no different.
People forget that even Karlsson struggled at times when he had to play with bottom pair guys like Cowen and Boro

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
People also forget that chabot only just turned 24. Hes still a kid whose going to make mistakes.

If we could reduce his minutes, those mistakes wouldn't occur as much. 30 minutes a game for a 24yr old isn't something that should happen... unfortunately we only have 2 top 4 defense on the team, who are both still quite young. We need sanderson and jbd here asap!

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

So all those sloppy turnovers that Chabot makes in his own end aren't his fault? Well good to know!

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
People also forget that chabot only just turned 24. Hes still a kid whose going to make mistakes.

If we could reduce his minutes, those mistakes wouldn't occur as much. 30 minutes a game for a 24yr old isn't something that should happen... unfortunately we only have 2 top 4 defense on the team, who are both still quite young. We need sanderson and jbd here asap!
If you are 24 in the NHL you are not a kid. Stutzle is a kid.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
If you are 24 in the NHL you are not a kid. Stutzle is a kid.
As far as a young defenseman playing the most minutes in the entire nhl goes, yea Chabot is still a kid who got thrown to the wolves.

Name me another 24 yr old defense who has to play as many minutes as chabot against top lines on a daily basis without a star partner to lean on. He made alot of bad mistakes this year and last but he also made as many incredible plays.

Do I expect better play from him. Yes. But benching chabot would not do him nor the team any good.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Do I expect better play from him. Yes. But benching chabot would not do him nor the team any good.
Benching him would be plain crazy but at 24 with almost 250 games played he should not be making as many bad turnovers as he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad