Value of: Barabanov to Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I mean if they've stalled a bit yet your team is contending, adding a depth piece like Barabanov is worth a 2nd to allow the team to compete and develop them. They will still develop even if Barabanov keeps them out of the top six for one stretch run. The playoff experience could help them find another gear even on a third line that you need to go anywhere in the playoffs.
I have no problem with a pick like that or the player. I do have a problem including Cuylle.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We said a 2nd. If that’s top 6 value to you, you got some issues. Being better then those guys should pencil him in
I never said anything about him being worth less than a second. I said him being producing more than Laf and Kakko doesn't mean we should push them down, and that I wouldn't include Cuylle. I never said 2nd round pick is too much value.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I have no problem with a pick like that or the player. I do have a problem including Cuylle.

Yeah I doubt Barabanov pulls that sort of return but a 2nd would be ideal for the Sharks right now. They need a very complete rebuild.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It doesn't matter what they've showed, does it? They were drafted 1 and 2, and still very young. You either develop them or you don't. If you decide they aren't worth it, replace them. You don't just keep them and continue to not develop them.

So you don't care about the playoffs?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I never said anything about him being worth less than a second. I said him being producing more than Laf and Kakko doesn't mean we should push them down, and that I wouldn't include Cuylle. I never said 2nd round pick is too much value.
Multiple thoughts to this. First is do you guys just not play your 3rd line? Like y’all are acting like I said to send them down. I’m think you roll say Krieder-Zib-Laf, Panarin-Strome-Bara, Kakko-Chytil-Goodrow. Second do y’all think you aren’t able to compete yet? Like I think this kind of fringe depth is perfect for the Rangers because it doesn’t mortgage their long term window but also gives them better depth to see if Fox, Shest, Panarin can steal a series or two.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Multiple thoughts to this. First is do you guys just not play your 3rd line? Like y’all are acting like I said to send them down. I’m think you roll say Krieder-Zib-Laf, Panarin-Strome-Bara, Kakko-Chytil-Goodrow. Second do y’all think you aren’t able to compete yet? Like I think this kind of fringe depth is perfect for the Rangers because it doesn’t mortgage their long term window but also gives them better depth to see if Fox, Shest, Panarin can steal a series or two.
Our 3rd line is bad. That's the entire point of getting a bottom 6 player, who can play. And again, I'm not saying he's not worth a second or worth acquiring...

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Our 3rd line is bad. That's the entire point of getting a bottom 6 player, who can play. And again, I'm not saying he's not worth a second or worth acquiring...
See that’s what I’m saying. If it really makes y’all feel better then say Barabanov is on your third line. Either way it gives the Rangers depth that they currently do not have. Yes upgrading on Chytil would be ideal but I genuinely do not see anyone out there that would be an upgrade on him for the price especially when you consider who he’d be paired with so you go with Chytil not being the play driver and almost the third wheel on that like with Kakko and Goodrow or Barabanov and Goodrow driving play.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm fine with you not ceding the mind of a GM too me. Just as long as you don't think you wear the mantle.
"NOT guarantee" Of course it's not. And do you know why? Because there's NO such things as a guarantee in sports.
bold: I concede nothing there to you or anyone else. We are each of us accountable for what we have said. Whether that is worse, better, or ultimately proven superior to how any actual GM rolled as to any specific deal on his track record remains to be seen on a case-by-case basis.
underline: well duh. But if it is not close enuf to be an almost lock, that should be enough to give one pause.
I remember the '69 Orioles on paper could not lose to the Mets. A couple of matchups were legit close. Some being generous to the NYers were close. But end of the day, you had like Frank Robinson vs Swoboda in RF and a couple of other doozies. And yet they lost. So sure, no sure thing. But I still need the benefit of doing a deal to outweigh the cost, and usually vets for youth do not justify the cost.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
bold: I concede nothing there to you or anyone else. We are each of us accountable for what we have said. Whether that is worse, better, or ultimately proven superior to how any actual GM rolled as to any specific deal on his track record remains to be seen on a case-by-case basis.
underline: well duh. But if it is not close enuf to be an almost lock, that should be enough to give one pause.
I remember the '69 Orioles on paper could not lose to the Mets. A couple of matchups were legit close. Some being generous to the NYers were close. But end of the day, you had like Frank Robinson vs Swoboda in RF and a couple of other doozies. And yet they lost. So sure, no sure thing. But I still need the benefit of doing a deal to outweigh the cost, and usually vets for youth do not justify the cost.
goat-head-roll.gif

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You really don’t read before you post do you? He’s a rental. It’s not like I’m saying permanently leave him in the top 6.

Again, think before you post.

If you think for a second that the Rangers are going to put a 27 year old rental who hasn’t proven himself as a top-6 forward in the top-6 over their 2 top young forwards, you’re fooling yourself and/or have no clue about the Rangers.

Stop. It’s not happening.

Barabanov is a decent middle-6 option, more than likely a 3rd liner on a contender, but if the Rangers are going to move either Lafrenière or Kakko out of the top-6, they’re doing it for a far better player than Barabanov.

End of story.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Again, think before you post.

If you think for a second that the Rangers are going to put a 27 year old rental who hasn’t proven himself as a top-6 forward in the top-6 over their 2 top young forwards, you’re fooling yourself and/or have no clue about the Rangers.

Stop. It’s not happening.

Barabanov is a decent middle-6 option, more than likely a 3rd liner on a contender, but if the Rangers are going to move either Lafrenière or Kakko out of the top-6, they’re doing it for a far better player than Barabanov.

End of story.
Again more points than all but 4 of your forwards and one less than your “top young guys” COMBINED. You are either fully underrating Barabanov or really overrated your “top young guys” who have proven nothing. I’d guess the second.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I mean if they've stalled a bit yet your team is contending, adding a depth piece like Barabanov is worth a 2nd to allow the team to compete and develop them. They will still develop even if Barabanov keeps them out of the top six for one stretch run. The playoff experience could help them find another gear even on a third line that you need to go anywhere in the playoffs.

Barabanov isn’t the difference maker that either of you are trying to infer.

He wouldn’t be brought in for a top-6 role.

Please stop trying to tell us something that more than likely wouldn’t happen.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Again more points than all but 4 of your forwards and one less than your “top young guys” COMBINED. You are either fully underrating Barabanov or really overrated your “top young guys” who have proven nothing. I’d guess the second.

Again, context helps. Lafrenière has not played in the top-6 all season.

I don’t care how many points he has, if the Rangers or any team for that matter, is going to move a forward out of the top-6, it’s going to be for a better option than Barabanov, IE: Hertl, Pavelski, Kessel, Miller, etc.

You can say whatever you’d like, you’re wrong and you have no idea of how this front office views their young talents.

Stop posting about a team that you clearly know jackshit about.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Barabanov isn’t the difference maker that either of you are trying to infer.

He wouldn’t be brought in for a top-6 role.

Please stop trying to tell us something that more than likely wouldn’t happen.

He'd be useful at that role too and a 2nd for a top nine rental isn't unusual.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
He'd be useful at that role too and a 2nd for a top nine rental isn't unusual.

I’m not talking about the asking price.

I’m talking about the assumption that you and the other poster made about the Rangers moving Lafrenière or Kakko out of the top-6 for Barabanov.

If you want to talk about value, that’s a different story, but the return on Toffoli clearly throws a wrench in the gears.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m not talking about the asking price.

I’m talking about the assumption that you and the other poster made about the Rangers moving Lafrenière or Kakko out of the top-6 for Barabanov.

If you want to talk about value, that’s a different story, but the return on Toffoli clearly throws a wrench in the gears.

Lots of teams temporarily move someone out of the top six to bolster the third line. I don’t see what Toffoli has to do with Barabanov.

Reactions: Gecklund

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Some fan. You can bet anyone wearing the uniform doesn't share your sentiments
Anyone wearing the uniform has other motivations. Been a fan probably before you were born. I'm thinking "what's best to win a cup with this core group"? Giving up anything of value this year to try and battle through Florida, Carolina, Tampa and Pitt is detrimental to that goal.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Anyone wearing the uniform has other motivations. Been a fan probably before you were born. I'm thinking "what's best to win a cup with this core group"? Giving up anything of value this year to try and battle through Florida, Carolina, Tampa and Pitt is detrimental to that goal.
Before I was born? Not very likely
And you'll stay behind those teams until they fade away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad