Value of: Barabanov to Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's already confirmed he'll report if traded. Worth a shot for a potential top 6 scoring winger imo.
He also reported to NYR and threw a fit when he wasn’t good enough. Unless the Sharks make some trades, it’s unlikely he gets a shot in the top 6 next season and with the quarantine protocols and such I don’t know if he’d get over here in time for this season. At C, sharks currently have Hertl, Couture, Bonino. He could beat out Bonino but I wouldn’t guarantee it. At W sharks have Timo, Barabanov, Dahlen, Balcers, Labanc and Gregor. I could easily see him beating out the last 3 but Balcers and Gregor both play entirely different roles than what Kravtsov could and Labanc has been relegated to 4th line duty. Starting next season we have the likes of Eklund, Bordeleau, Robins, Coe, Chmelevski, Wiesblatt, Gushchin, Leonard, etc. all competing for spots. I could see him beating out everyone of those except Eklund. Here’s my issue though, if he doesn’t beat them out, his game doesn’t suit the bottom 6. There’s likely one spot in our top 6 available and honestly that’s probably going to Balcers or Wiesblatt based on play styles. Will he wait for his opportunity or run back to Russia? That’s a very valid question that none of us can answer but we can assume based on his previous experiences that he would run back.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He also reported to NYR and threw a fit when he wasn’t good enough. Unless the Sharks make some trades, it’s unlikely he gets a shot in the top 6 next season and with the quarantine protocols and such I don’t know if he’d get over here in time for this season. At C, sharks currently have Hertl, Couture, Bonino. He could beat out Bonino but I wouldn’t guarantee it. At W sharks have Timo, Barabanov, Dahlen, Balcers, Labanc and Gregor. I could easily see him beating out the last 3 but Balcers and Gregor both play entirely different roles than what Kravtsov could and Labanc has been relegated to 4th line duty. Starting next season we have the likes of Eklund, Bordeleau, Robins, Coe, Chmelevski, Wiesblatt, Gushchin, Leonard, etc. all competing for spots. I could see him beating out everyone of those except Eklund. Here’s my issue though, if he doesn’t beat them out, his game doesn’t suit the bottom 6. There’s likely one spot in our top 6 available and honestly that’s probably going to Balcers or Wiesblatt based on play styles. Will he wait for his opportunity or run back to Russia? That’s a very valid question that none of us can answer but we can assume based on his previous experiences that he would run back.

this is not an accurate narrative based on he is obv victim of Drury screw job, and even to any other extent, any other point of discussion put on a shelf, there is zero way this guy did not deserve a spot over McKegg, among others.

They used the we need you to take one for the team and get sent down w'o going thru waivers, and if they hadn't mistreated him before that might have happened, but to quote John Belushi,
but
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
they had to go there and give him, actually prompt him, to respond as He did.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
this is not an accurate narrative based on he is obv victim of Drury screw job, and even to any other extent, any other point of discussion put on a shelf, there is zero way this guy did not deserve a spot over McKegg, among others.

They used the we need you to take one for the team and get sent down w'o going thru waivers, and if they hadn't mistreated him before that might have happened, but to quote John Belushi,
but
Its absolutely an accurate narrative, stop trying to control it. Hes taken his ball and gone home twice after failing to make the team out of camp. End of story.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

but
Also if he made the roster over McKegg he would have been on the 4th line, which you constantly use as an excuse for his lack of production. So which is it slappy?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
This is the same Barabanov that some Sharks fans use to explain that Hertl is a beast because hes producing at a high rate with that guy on his wings?

Sure? What's your point?

Did the mysterious posters you seem to be basing your statement on say, or even infer, that Barabanov was not a 2nd line caliber forward, and that is why they were so impressed by Hertl doing what Hertl did?

Is it not possible to be impressed by Hertl producing well often against other teams top players, while playing with a 27yo, essentially rookie and arguably 2nd line player, and a dude that has 9 pts, and shooting accuracy on par with a drunk guy in a public restroom?

Reactions: Patty Ice

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
If thats all the Rangers can get they likely hold on to him. Barbanov may be performing like a low end top 6 right now but Kravstov has more potential.

So you'd rather have a lottery ticket that doesn't have any interest in even being scratched by you, versus a cool $10,000 that we know is certain, on the basis that the lottery ticket has a less than marginal chance of being $100,000?

Reactions: Patty Ice

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
So you'd rather have a lottery ticket that doesn't have any interest in even being scratched by you, versus a cool $10,000 that we know is certain, on the basis that the lottery ticket has a less than marginal chance of being $100,000?
Yes i would. Good chance that 10K certainty doesnt even crack our top 6. So it's more like 5k. I'll take my chances.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Surprised to see so many Rangers fans against this move. We have too many 4th liners. Not too many bottom sixers. The last couple of games had Chytil centering Greg McKegg and Gauthier. McKegg is a 5th liner and Gaut has all kinds of tools, but he's 24 years old and has a career high of 8 points. If we could bring in a guy like Barabanov to play on that line, and slot Goodrow back there when Kakko gets back? Barabanov--Chytil--Goodrow looks a LOT better than McKegg--Chytil--Gauthier.

I'd pay a 2nd for Barabanov if push came to shove (ideally with an opportunity to chat with him beforehand to get a sense as to what he'd be looking for on his next contract). My preference would be to offer a 3rd rounder and one of our "2nd tier but with upside" prospects like Gauthier, Hajek, Gettinger, or maybe Nemeth if they want a cheap vet LD under contract for another couple of years.

Also, I know that no Rangers fan wants to dump Kravtsov for pennies on the dollar, and I'm not advocating for that either, but it is absolutely fair for fans of other teams to be concerned about Krav's track record of taking his puck and going home. The first time, he had that clause in his contract. It was bad optics, but not a huge red flag. The 2nd time? He legit walked away from a signed contract. That is a HUGE issue, and we can't pretend that it isn't there. The only way we get more than a 2nd rounder for Krav is if we bring him back and let him re-build his value.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It doesn't matter if he's top 6 or bottom 6. We have about 3 players in the bottom 6 that needs to be replaced anyway. I'd start the offer with a 2 3rd round picks and see if they bite. In the end I'd probably go a little higher just to never see some of those players in our lineup again. We also have way too many prospects who will already struggle for lineup space.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
That lottery ticket cashes out in July vs that 100,000 that might come your way, or maybe it doesn't. Giving up Kravtsov for a UFA is a bad idea, unless it's a package for an actual hole we're filling for playoffs..

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It doesn't matter if he's top 6 or bottom 6. We have about 3 players in the bottom 6 that needs to be replaced anyway. I'd start the offer with a 2 3rd round picks and see if they bite. In the end I'd probably go a little higher just to never see some of those players in our lineup again. We also have way too many prospects who will already struggle for lineup space.
Considering you don’t have a 3rd this year I think I’d pass

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
That lottery ticket cashes out in July vs that 100,000 that might come your way, or maybe it doesn't. Giving up Kravtsov for a UFA is a bad idea, unless it's a package for an actual hole we're filling for playoffs..

I guess my point here is more so that Kravtsov hasn't done enough to warrant the sort of fanfare some here are giving him. That's not even taking into account his current drama with the team. And getting an effective middle 6 forward for a playoff push (and potentially longer) for him would be good assett management IF the NYR felt they were a 2nd/3rd liner away from being taken seriously.

If not, then its more than reasonable for them to hold him.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Considering you don’t have a 3rd this year I think I’d pass
We don't. Like I said, i'd start there and go a little higher if needed. I don't think we absolutely need him, but for a cheaper cost (non-first rounder) he's an upgrade over a lot of players in our bottom 6 for what we need them to be.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad