Value of: Barabanov to Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Barabanov is someone that would be a good fit on a 3rd line as a rental if the Rangers want to go a cheaper route. I agree with some that he isn't a top 6 guy on a playoff team, but that doesn't mean he isn't a 3rd liner, which the Rangers seriously lack. Would be looking at PP2 time and 3rd line minutes.

Rangers have 2 2nds this year. Sharks have none, but will have a high 3rd rounder.

How about Barabanov + SJS 3rd for Pajuniemi + higher of NYR or STL 2nd. Would throw in a 4th as well to balance if the value is off a little (similar to the 2nd rounder, would be willing to add the higher of the 4th rounders they have).

The Sharks upgrade their 3rd rounder into a 2nd round pick, Pajuniemi in his 1st year in North America is around .5 ppg in the AHL. He's a right handed shot that has produced in Finland on TPS for the last two seasons, nearly at a point per game. Could be a cup of coffee candidate at the end of the season and compete for a spot on a roster next year. I think his ceiling is similar to what Barabanov is right now. Adds another mid round pick to the arsenal as well, either to move up or add another piece to a pool that is just starting to build some depth.

Barabanov slides on to the Rangers 3rd line, adding offense that it has been lacking.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Barabanov is someone that would be a good fit on a 3rd line as a rental if the Rangers want to go a cheaper route. I agree with some that he isn't a top 6 guy on a playoff team, but that doesn't mean he isn't a 3rd liner, which the Rangers seriously lack. Would be looking at PP2 time and 3rd line minutes.

Rangers have 2 2nds this year. Sharks have none, but will have a high 3rd rounder.

How about Barabanov + SJS 3rd for Pajuniemi + higher of NYR or STL 2nd. Would throw in a 4th as well to balance if the value is off a little (similar to the 2nd rounder, would be willing to add the higher of the 4th rounders they have).

The Sharks upgrade their 3rd rounder into a 2nd round pick, Pajuniemi in his 1st year in North America is around .5 ppg in the AHL. He's a right handed shot that has produced in Finland on TPS for the last two seasons, nearly at a point per game. Could be a cup of coffee candidate at the end of the season and compete for a spot on a roster next year. I think his ceiling is similar to what Barabanov is right now. Adds another mid round pick to the arsenal as well, either to move up or add another piece to a pool that is just starting to build some depth.

Barabanov slides on to the Rangers 3rd line, adding offense that it has been lacking.

I think the Sharks can do better than moving up maybe 10-15 spots and a long shot winger prospect that they have plenty of themselves for Barabanov. If you need a draft pick back then you're talking a 7th not a 3rd here.

Reactions: Gecklund

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I said a team could because a team wants to have three good lines to compete. You're simply not understanding what is being said. Even if you use Barabanov to bump Laf or whoever from a first or second line doesn't mean he's one of the six best forwards on the team. We're talking about a lineup decision rather than caliber. Teams will often put a stronger player on the third line to solidify that. That isn't a reach for Barabanov to do given his skills.

Ironic, you haven’t read a word I’ve said, or it just doesn’t register to you.

I’ve said several times they wouldn’t do it because they’re going to prioritize the development and Kakko and Lafrenière over an unproven 27 year old addition from outside of the organization.

The fact that I’ve had to explain this to you several times already and continue to have to do so is downright frightening.

Your comparison to Toffoli is nonsensical for numerous reasons. Reasserting the same doesn't change that rentals and term players are different in value. We're talking about a useless comparison like Toffoli getting a 1st plus compared to the ask of a 2nd for Barabanov. Why? What part of that changes Barabanov's value at all? They're only similar being wingers. Nobody is pretending like Barabanov was going to get what Toffoli got. There's no point of reference there lol

There is a point of reference. The market is literally being set.

Telling me that I’m wrong isn’t going to change anything. The market is clearly a buyer’s market if someone with far more term and value got less than expected.

If San Jose does move Barabanov gets the ask you’re looking for, good for them. No dirt off my shoulder, but acting like Toffoli’s return doesn’t affect the market is absolute nonsense.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ironic, you haven’t read a word I’ve said, or it just doesn’t register to you.

I’ve said several times they wouldn’t do it because they’re going to prioritize the development and Kakko and Lafrenière over an unproven 27 year old addition from outside of the organization.

The fact that I’ve had to explain this to you several times already and continue to have to do so is downright frightening.

There is a point of reference. The market is literally being set.

Telling me that I’m wrong isn’t going to change anything. The market is clearly a buyer’s market if someone with far more term and value got less than expected.

If San Jose does move Barabanov gets the ask you’re looking for, good for them. No dirt off my shoulder, but acting like Toffoli’s return doesn’t affect the market is absolute nonsense.

The players would develop or not regardless. It's not a real concern in this situation. It's one you've completely made up.

Barabanov's market has nothing to do with Toffoli. You've yet to establish a single thing that shows him setting the market for Barabanov...because you can't actually do that.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The players would develop or not regardless. It's not a real concern in this situation. It's one you've completely made up.

I haven’t made anything up. They’re not bringing in a 27 year old unproven forward who has done absolutely nothing to show he’s a top-6 forward and has actually played less NHL games than Kakko and Lafrenière.

If they’re going to go move one of those 2 players out of the top-6, it’s going to be for a far better player than Barabanov, who is shooting at 11% on 61 total shots this season, a number that’s likely to regress.

Barabanov's market has nothing to do with Toffoli. You've yet to establish a single thing that shows him setting the market for Barabanov...because you can't actually do that.

I’ve already explained it multiple times to you. You just choose to ignore it, just like the other parts of the post. Since there’s nothing further to talk about, I’m blocking you, because the ignorance you show is astounding.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I haven’t made anything up. They’re not bringing in a 27 year old unproven forward who has done absolutely nothing to show he’s a top-6 forward and has actually played less NHL games than Kakko and Lafrenière.

If they’re going to go move one of those 2 players out of the top-6, it’s going to be for a far better player than Barabanov, who is shooting at 11% on 61 total shots this season, a number that’s likely to regress.

I’ve already explained it multiple times to you. You just choose to ignore it, just like the other parts of the post. Since there’s nothing further to talk about, I’m blocking you, because the ignorance you show is astounding.
1ed4b9d2d719571364a79e69147f45ff.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

All of your bogus development concern was made up. Barabanov is proving he's top six right now which is what you're trading for with rentals. Having such a player on any of your three lines is a good add for any team short on capable wingers which the Rangers are. Plus, you're not getting him for the goals. He's more a playmaker.

And you haven't explained the market argument at all. You merely asserted it without saying why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad