Value of: Barabanov to Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Its called realism. Will i cheer my ass of for them? Yup. Do i think a cup run is realistic when no team has done it in 30 years after missing the playoffs 3 years running? Nope.
Your team is currently a play off team.
Going to be a long wait if you're just going to wait and hope on the youth carrying you across the finish line

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
I've heard the same before.
I wonder how much longer, Oiler, Av's Leafs and Jets fans have to wait
And then there are the Pens, Lightning, Bruins, Kings who waited until their group of kids matured to be perennial contenders. The Canes are realizing that patience now. Your middle six winger doesn't move the needle; not even a little and the Rangers would be stupid to give up anything higher than a 3rd for him.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
And then there are the Pens, Lightning, Bruins, Kings who waited until their group of kids matured to be perennial contenders. The Canes are realizing that patience now. Your middle six winger doesn't move the needle; not even a little and the Rangers would be stupid to give up anything higher than a 3rd for him.
You think they didn't add talent along the way? They didn't just wait around until their kids grew up

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If im the Rangers and im going to spend high end assets for a player im targeting a goal scoring C or RW. Barbanov's 7 goals dont fit that bill.

If im the Rangers and going for a modest add spending lesser assets, im targeting a defensively responsible 3C that can win faceoffs.

Well, a 2nd round pick isn't spending high end assets so we can dismiss the first bit. However, the second bit is something that is not mutually exclusive. The Rangers have two 2nd round picks in this draft. They can spend one on that 3C and another adding a depth winger that is really good at making plays with the puck while being incredibly cheap on the cap at only 1 mil. Don't think it's an either/or thing in this situation. Barabanov just has the proven ability to play with the best players on a team against other team's best players and still contribute. You don't find that every day with depth pieces.

Even if you keep Kakko and Lafreniere in the top six, Barabanov would still be a significant upgrade on either Gauthier or Hunt on the 3rd line with Chytil and Goodrow.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Lots of teams temporarily move someone out of the top six to bolster the third line. I don’t see what Toffoli has to do with Barabanov.

The Rangers aren’t moving Kakko or Lafrenière out of the top-6 for Barabanov, who isn't exactly proven himself. You can stop with that narrative.

Toffoli is a far better and more proven player with far more term left on his deal. He got far less in return than people thought. Barabanov might not fetch the return you’re looking for as the market has had a monkey wrench thrown in it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Rangers aren’t moving Kakko or Lafrenière out of the top-6 for Barabanov, who isn't exactly proven himself. You can stop with that narrative.

Toffoli is a far better and more proven player with far more term left on his deal. He got far less in return than people thought. Barabanov might not fetch the return you’re looking for as the market has had a monkey wrench thrown in it.

Nobody's going with a narrative. You're just being overly stubborn about what is being offered here. It's simply been stated that Barabanov can play with top players. He can also play on a 3rd line as a guy that knows how to handle the puck and make plays.

Toffoli and Barabanov aren't comparables because Toffoli wasn't and isn't a cheap option where you have to concern yourself with the cap hit over a term. Barabanov is a pure rental that can be played up and down the lineup and had for cheap. That's it. Stop making more out of it than it is. At this stage, there's a fit for the Rangers to add Barabanov to their group. Where that is can be different for different people.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Nobody's going with a narrative. You're just being overly stubborn about what is being offered here. It's simply been stated that Barabanov can play with top players. He can also play on a 3rd line as a guy that knows how to handle the puck and make plays.

I’m not. You and the other poster both stated the Rangers would move Kakko and Lafrenière out of the top-6 for Barabanov when that couldn’t be the truth.

He’d be an acquisition for the 3rd line. That’s it.

Toffoli and Barabanov aren't comparables because Toffoli wasn't and isn't a cheap option where you have to concern yourself with the cap hit over a term. Barabanov is a pure rental that can be played up and down the lineup and had for cheap. That's it. Stop making more out of it than it is. At this stage, there's a fit for the Rangers to add Barabanov to their group. Where that is can be different for different people.

I’ll “stop making more out of it than it is” when you stop reaching like Stretch Armstrong.

Give me a break with that crap. Toffoli is too expensive? Lmfao. Any team that would’ve added him was going to have the space to do it and his cap hit wasn’t going to prohibit it.

Sorry that your bubble is bursted by Toffoli getting less, but Toffoli is a superior player and an affordable top-6 option for that.

The market for rentals and other players with similar to less term will be impacted by it, whether you or anyone likes it or not. Other GM’s will use it as a point of reference.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’m not. You and the other poster both stated the Rangers would move Kakko and Lafrenière out of the top-6 for Barabanov when that couldn’t be the truth.

He’d be an acquisition for the 3rd line. That’s it.

I’ll “stop making more out of it than it is” when you stop reaching like Stretch Armstrong.

Give me a break with that crap. Toffoli is too expensive? Lmfao. Any team that would’ve added him was going to have the space to do it and his cap hit wasn’t going to prohibit it.

Sorry that your bubble is bursted by Toffoli getting less, but Toffoli is a superior player and an affordable top-6 option for that.

The market for rentals and other players with similar to less term will be impacted by it, whether you or anyone likes it or not. Other GM’s will use it as a point of reference.

I said a team could because a team wants to have three good lines to compete. You're simply not understanding what is being said. Even if you use Barabanov to bump Laf or whoever from a first or second line doesn't mean he's one of the six best forwards on the team. We're talking about a lineup decision rather than caliber. Teams will often put a stronger player on the third line to solidify that. That isn't a reach for Barabanov to do given his skills.

Your comparison to Toffoli is nonsensical for numerous reasons. Reasserting the same doesn't change that rentals and term players are different in value. We're talking about a useless comparison like Toffoli getting a 1st plus compared to the ask of a 2nd for Barabanov. Why? What part of that changes Barabanov's value at all? They're only similar being wingers. Nobody is pretending like Barabanov was going to get what Toffoli got. There's no point of reference there lol

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If im the Rangers and im going to spend high end assets for a player im targeting a goal scoring C or RW. Barbanov's 7 goals dont fit that bill.

If im the Rangers and going for a modest add spending lesser assets, im targeting a defensively responsible 3C that can win faceoffs.
It just happened the same NYR traded a goal scoring RW for a second and a random grinder :sarcasm:

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I don't see Barbanov fetching a 2nd. A lot of contenders looking to add don't even have a 2nd round pick in this draft. There are also a lot of forward rentals better than him. Also several options that have multiple years of control.

He doesn't have a long track record to flaunt in talks, nor does he have any playoff experience.

He likely either gets a 3rd, a meh prospect, or is just forgotten does free agency stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad