Value of: Barabanov to Rangers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Why not? A former 60th overall pick who has shown some promise. Value seems about right for Barabanov

I like Barabanov, but he's not worth a former 2nd rounder who is already showing development beyond his draft position. Barabanov won't get 17+ minutes on the Rangers. He won't get real time on the PP (where he has 6 of his points this year). And he won't play with anyone on the same level as Hertl and Meier (his current line w/the Sharks, and two names that show up on 19 of his 26 points this season and all 7 of his points with SJ last season. Barabanov has scored a grand total of 8 points without Hertl and/or Meier being involved). He's still a bit of a gamble in light of that and the low number of NHL games under his belt (he's almost 25 years old, and he's yet to play a full seasons' worth of NHL games). I mean, if we gave Gauthier PP time, another 7 or 8 minutes per game, and put him on a line with two of our best players, I don't doubt that he would have a few more points as well. A gamble is worth taking if the cost is low, but once the cost starts rising to the level of a solid prospect with years of team control who looks like a lock to be, at worst, a great 3rd liner with size and snarl? I'd rather just wait for Cuylle to upgrade that 3rd line.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I like Barabanov, but he's not worth a former 2nd rounder who is already showing development beyond his draft position. Barabanov won't get 17+ minutes on the Rangers. He won't get real time on the PP (where he has 6 of his points this year). And he won't play with anyone on the same level as Hertl and Meier (his current line w/the Sharks, and two names that show up on 19 of his 26 points this season and all 7 of his points with SJ last season. Barabanov has scored a grand total of 8 points without Hertl and/or Meier being involved). He's still a bit of a gamble in light of that and the low number of NHL games under his belt (he's almost 25 years old, and he's yet to play a full seasons' worth of NHL games). I mean, if we gave Gauthier PP time, another 7 or 8 minutes per game, and put him on a line with two of our best players, I don't doubt that he would have a few more points as well. A gamble is worth taking if the cost is low, but once the cost starts rising to the level of a solid prospect with years of team control who looks like a lock to be, at worst, a great 3rd liner with size and snarl? I'd rather just wait for Cuylle to upgrade that 3rd line.

I love this place. Can't trade prospect A once he's shown a scintilla of promise.
It amazing the number of fans who say " I rather wait"
That's not the mindset of actual teams in contention

Last edited:
Reactions: Patty Ice

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I love this place. Can't trade prospect A once he's shown a scintilla of promise.

but it's not just contending this yr it's also about max extending the window and also prospects which are cost controlled have innate value vs vets

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I love this place. Can't trade prospect A once he shown a scintilla of promise.

Pretty sure I've given you the response to this nonsense before, but the Rangers aren't an actual team in contention quite yet. If the Rangers won the Cup this year, it would be the first time in more than 30 years that a team won the Cup after missing the playoffs for three plus years running (and only the second time that a team won after missing the playoffs two years running). By far, most Cup winners over the last several decades had multiple playoff runs under their belt before becoming a serious threat to actually win the cup.

But again. I've told you that before. That's not your issue. It's just your way of deflecting from the point I actually made, which is:

A nearly 25 year old player with less than 65 NHL games under his belt...

who owes 77% of his career production to playing with Hertl and Meier...

who has been getting minutes and PP time that he would not get with the Rangers...

Is a hell of a gamble. It is more likely that he turns into a smaller Gauthier on the Rangers than that he continues his San Jose numbers.

But you don't want to acknowledge that, so you try and turn it into a discussion about how the Rangers fans don't want to win (an argument where you are also wrong, incidentally. See above).

Oh, and by "showing a scintilla of promise," do you mean being a hard-hitting, defensively responsible, shoot-first (which we desperately need on a Rangers team full of passers) player WITH size (6'4, 200+) who is currently 10th in the OHL in goals, despite playing 5-10 fewer games than most of the guys in front of him? You wouldn't trade a prospect with a similar "scintilla" of promise for a mid-20s possible flash in the pan either.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Pretty sure I've given you the response to this nonsense before, but the Rangers aren't an actual team in contention quite yet. If the Rangers won the Cup this year, it would be the first time in more than 30 years that a team won the Cup after missing the playoffs for three plus years running (and only the second time that a team won after missing the playoffs two years running). By far, most Cup winners over the last several decades had multiple playoff runs under their belt before becoming a serious threat to actually win the cup.

But again. I've told you that before. That's not your issue. It's just your way of deflecting from the point I actually made, which is:

A nearly 25 year old player with less than 65 NHL games under his belt...

who owes 77% of his career production to playing with Hertl and Meier...

who has been getting minutes and PP time that he would not get with the Rangers...

Is a hell of a gamble. It is more likely that he turns into a smaller Gauthier on the Rangers than that he continues his San Jose numbers.

But you don't want to acknowledge that, so you try and turn it into a discussion about how the Rangers fans don't want to win (an argument where you are also wrong, incidentally. See above).

Oh, and by "showing a scintilla of promise," do you mean being a hard-hitting, defensively responsible, shoot-first (which we desperately need on a Rangers team full of passers) player WITH size (6'4, 200+) who is currently 10th in the OHL in goals, despite playing 5-10 fewer games than most of the guys in front of him? You wouldn't trade a prospect with a similar "scintilla" of promise for a mid-20s possible flash in the pan either.
As it sits now the Rangers are a playoff team and I'm sure they will act accordingly.
You think anyone is going to ask for just the guys YOU feel comfortable about moving?
Coming up to the trade deadline no one's asking for Barabanov or any other good player if they didn't think he could come in and help wit this season.
No GM is going to go into the locker room and say "it's to bad it's not next season lads". Best of luck.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
As it sits now the Rangers are a playoff team and I'm sure they will act accordingly.
You think anyone is going to ask for just the guys YOU feel comfortable about moving?
Coming up to the trade deadline no one's asking for Barabanov or any other good player if they didn't think he could come in and help wit this season.
No GM is going to go into the locker room and say "it's to bad it's not next season lads". Best of luck.

This wasn't even coherent.

The Rangers should be adding support. You trade 2nd/3rd rounders for support. If support players cost more than that, smart teams roll with what they have.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
This wasn't even coherent.

The Rangers should be adding support. You trade 2nd/3rd rounders for support. If support players cost more than that, smart teams roll with what they have.
Yes a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Just what he was picked
Nose bleeds a problem on that high tower of yours?

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
No, it’s not. At all.
upload_2022-2-20_17-16-43.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-2-20_17-14-27.png
    upload_2022-2-20_17-14-27.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Groo

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I could have sworn I heard the Rangers color guy ( NYR - OTT) stating that the Rangers would be" bigtime players before the trade dead line"?

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Bookmarked for deadline day when Drury doesnt move any of Schneider/Othmann/Cuylle while the team is in a contention position.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
A 27 year old gamble at that.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Yes a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Just what he was picked
Nose bleeds a problem on that high tower of yours?

Cuylle was picked in the second round two years ago. You realize that play alters value over time, right? Why don't you stroll on over to the Dallas Stars forum and inform them that, since Wyatt Johnston was originally drafted 23rd overall last summer, that you'd like to offer them the 23rd overall pick in exchange for him. See how they like that. Maybe the LA Kings should call up San Jose and offer up Lias Andersson in exchange for William Eklund. After all, they were both 7th overall picks, so that makes their value the same, right?

It's not a "high tower." It's common f***ing sense.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Cuylle was picked in the second round two years ago. You realize that play alters value over time, right? Why don't you stroll on over to the Dallas Stars forum and inform them that, since Wyatt Johnston was originally drafted 23rd overall last summer, that you'd like to offer them the 23rd overall pick in exchange for him. See how they like that. Maybe the LA Kings should call up San Jose and offer up Lias Andersson in exchange for William Eklund. After all, they were both 7th overall picks, so that makes their value the same, right?

It's not a "high tower." It's common f***ing sense.
Too funny

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Too funny

In what way? Please elaborate on how you figure a player has either maintained or even lost value (ie: a former 2nd rounder being worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder in trade value) after playing well beyond his original draft position for two years. This ought to be hilarious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad