Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pre draft, the Canucks Army list (which I was 1/6th of the input in) had:

Tolvanen 15th: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/11/nation-network-2017-prospect-profile-15-eeli-tolvanen/
Vesalainen 17th: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/09/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-17-kristian-vesalainen/

I don't really see how one KHL game should make these two worlds apart. Talk about small sample size.

In this case...

Tolvanen KHL preseason + 1 actual game = 9 points in 8 games

Vesalainen 0 points in 7 games of Liiga preseason(Far weaker than KHL)

Really, Tolvanen would have to go pointless in quite a few games in a row for this "small sample size" to even out, before even considering the strength of the leagues themselves.

Regardless, check that poster's history. He for instance predicted Laine to score 70+90 and thinks Armia >>> Ehlers. Still, Vesalainen is Finnish as well so it's a little inconsistent.

Getting back to Vesalainen himself, he should be playing tonight against Russia. Ah apparently no live streams.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Getting worried about a prospect after drafting him in his pre-season?

Okay I guess?

Yea the suicide watch is comical. I think it's important to pace yourselves kids since we are looking for progress over years not NHL readiness today. Keeping it real this kid was drafted later than we drafted Stanley and most of us are praying Logan works out in 4 or 5 years. I am hoping I don't have to put this thread on ignore like I did Laine's for most of last season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yea the suicide watch is comical. I think it's important to pace yourselves kids since we are looking for progress over years not NHL readiness today. Keeping it real this kid was drafted later than we drafted Stanley and most of us are praying Logan works out in 4 or 5 years. I am hoping I don't have to put this thread on ignore like I did Laine's for most of last season.

I remember a certain other Fin that had an underwhelming preseason a year ago. Didn't stop him scoring 30 plus goals in the regular season.

Its a marathon not a sprint with these kids. You'd think Scheifele would have hit this point home.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
why is there no talking about Winnipeg picking vesalainen instead of Tolvanen who Went surprisingly at 30th?

Tolvanen is the man and has been for some weeks now. showing skills and Points at KHL preseason and just playd this seasons first game. result? 3 goals and 1 assist!

this just 18 years filled youngsterteenager could win the seasons pointtrophy. this kid looks like a Yzerman out there. dancing, speeding around and shooting great wristers.

oh , yeah...he isnt canadian or american. imagine laine and highly skilled pass/shootingking Tolvanen together. now that would have been something that!.

Because I walked outside today at 8am wearing a t-shirt. I almost got sunburned waiting for a shuttle yesterday. Kids are just returning home from sleep-away camp.

In other words: Because it's August.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

When you are dead set on comparing your team's prospect to other teams' prospects, this is just about what happens. The better and less nerve-racking way would be to compare what the ideal way of developing the player would be vs. what is currently being done to develop the player.

I would go as far as saying that Vesalainen needs three years before we can think about his NHL debut. One thing that always comes to my mind about him is that he really hasn't ever looked good against top competition (aside from U18, but then again, he is a big guy with a very good offensive skillset, so a good showing is more of an expectation on that level). Last year, he got his feet properly wet at men's leagues, which is a big jump. Now we should realistically be able to see some production. The thing is, having jumped to a league in which point production is very hard, especially on the team he plays for, I'm still hesitant to wish for domination.

If he develops his game all around and manages to produce adequately this year with HPK, his draft +2 could be the year in which he is in the top end of Liiga players. Either that, or he decides to come over - which wouldn't be a good idea in my books. Regardless of his choice in 2018, it's his draft +3 season when he should be with the Moose, or if the stars align properly, the Jets.

If he doesn't get to the producing this season, then I'm worried. Not before that.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
depending on how the stars align, we may need him here at his D+2 as we'll need some guys on ELC's once the current crop start getting paid...especially with the bar being raised by McJesus and Drais contracts

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
depending on how the stars align, we may need him here at his D+2 as we'll need some guys on ELC's once the current crop start getting paid...especially with the bar being raised by McJesus and Drais contracts

Chiarelli is a serial over payer. Mcjesus contract was a 1 off.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Vesalainen got the primary assist on Finland's 1st goal. I hope someone can at least provide highlights from this 4 nations tourney.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Vesalainen got the primary assist on Finland's 1st goal. I hope someone can at least provide highlights from this 4 nations tourney.

Huge joke that when they're supposed to be in charge of the streaming they can just go "oh nevermind technical difficulties". How could anyone make highlights... Sigh, so many players I'd have wanted to watch.

Good to see Vesalainen having some success. Hopefully Finland will also win a game now. They've lost like 7 or 8 in a row.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Huge joke that when they're supposed to be in charge of the streaming they can just go "oh nevermind technical difficulties". How could anyone make highlights... Sigh, so many players I'd have wanted to watch.

Good to see Vesalainen having some success. Hopefully Finland will also win a game now. They've lost like 7 or 8 in a row.

I was kinda hoping the tourney organizers would do it. Full games uploaded to youtube would be even better. They must have some kind of cameras there if they planned on streaming the thing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It's like the Scheifele vs. Couturier debate all over again. Ah, fun times. :D ;)

I just loved following prospects back then. There were so few true Scheif fans back then. One of the things I liked was your reports from watching his games live. How many did you get out to see in his D +1 and +2 seasons or was it more on TV?

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Really, Tolvanen would have to go pointless in quite a few games in a row for this "small sample size" to even out, before even considering the strength of the leagues themselves.

KHL is the better league but I believe it's higher scoring one with large differences between teams. Laine on his last FEL year went twice 8 games without goal (and a few lesser stretches). Bad stretches say very little without context.

Torspo21

mailataikuri
Dec 15, 2009
Oijärvi
torspo21.blogspot.com
Just watched an Juuse Saros (Nashville) interview who had been training with HPK few times, and when asked who was the most dangerous guy in the squad he mentioned Kristian Vesalainen and predicted he'll make a breakthrough this coming season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just watched an Juuse Saros (Nashville) interview who had been training with HPK few times, and when asked who was the most dangerous guy in the squad he mentioned Kristian Vesalainen and predicted he'll make a breakthrough this coming season.

Thanks for the report. Nice to hear.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Another assist for Vesalainen.

Thilander seems to be putting up some decent numbers.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I just loved following prospects back then. There were so few true Scheif fans back then. One of the things I liked was your reports from watching his games live. How many did you get out to see in his D +1 and +2 seasons or was it more on TV?

I went to about 6 games a year live (mostly games played close to where I live in Toronto, such as when they were playing the Steelheads in Mississauga), and the rest of the time I followed our prospects in the OHL via a subscription to their broadcasts. At the time, that included Telegin, who I was also quite positive about. It's unfortunate that didn't turn out for the Jets, but I'm glad he seems to be in a better place mentally now.

I think Vesalainen will turn out to be a fine prospect - if we've learned anything over the years, it's that all prospects are on their own timetables regarding when they'll be ready. Laine and Trouba vs. Scheifele and Morrissey, for instance - they're all doing extremely well now, and all joined the Jets at different times in their development.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Those who've paid attention have. ;) Perhaps I should have said: "As has been demonstrated numerous times..."

As far as I am concerned, a quick transition > slow transition >>>> rushed transition.

The trick is to read the sentence in its entirety and not stop at any point in the middle of it.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Nice to see he's contributing a bit offensively in the tournament.

If he can develop into a middle 6 winger down the road with some skill, size and speed that would be a very nice addition. Ideally, if his potential a 20g/20g/40pt (Perreault or Frolik-like #s) player, we're in very good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad