Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
7 games 0 points in preseason with 45.2% Corsi. -8% Rel Corsi. Rough preseason.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Im not that shocked. He wants to be a powerforward, so it will take time for him to be able to play like one vs men. It's why I have been saying to people that he probably shouldnt be included in the lineup predictions for the next few years.

OHL would be perfect for him right now, but Flint Firebirds own his rights, and based on what I have read, that's not a team he should even touch

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
They own his OHL rights, but he was drafted out of Europe, so he's not predestined to go to a CHL team. Still, playing in Europe is probably the best place for him right now, as he won't have to deal with the culture shock of being in North America on top of learning how to play against adults.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't know that I'd look to pre-season corsi as any indication of where he'll be in the regular season. Played everywhere and with many different teammates, and left for a tournament in the middle of it.

Looked fine to me in the 2 games I saw. We'll see what the regular season holds this week.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
They own his OHL rights, but he was drafted out of Europe, so he's not predestined to go to a CHL team. Still, playing in Europe is probably the best place for him right now, as he won't have to deal with the culture shock of being in North America on top of learning how to play against adults.

...the adults in the OHL?

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

7 games is way too small sample size to say anything about the corsi, but being 0+0=0 doesn't look too good.

Has anyone actually watched him playing this pre-season? How does his play look like?

I have been watching only Tappara's preseason & CHL games so far. In this context CHL is obviously the Championship Hockey League, not Canadian CHL.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
7 games is way too small sample size to say anything about the corsi, but being 0+0=0 doesn't look too good.

Yeah small sample size and all but still not something I wanted to see.

Has anyone actually watched him playing this pre-season? How does his play look like?

I was planning on buying a Ruutu sports subscription to watch him in the regular season. I am less sure now.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Some there, but I was thinking that his most likely destination if he were in NA were to be on the Moose, especially with how bad the Flint Firebirds situation is.

Yeah he isn't going to a OHL at this point. Probably joins the moose next season since his Liiga contract will run out after this one.

I just believe a team like London Knights would be the best place for his development right now. Just unfortunate that a shady team Firebirds drafted him

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Liiga season opener is starting in 5 minutes! Kristian is playing 2nd line with Janne Lahti and Oula Palve

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
His shifts seem to be pretty short or are cut really short some way or another. His second shift was cut short by a penalty, then on another shift he stepped onto the ice and took a stick to the face and was bleeding on the bench.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If he doesn't get a hat trick in game one we made the wrong pick. :sarcasm:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
His entire team was pretty bad, only like 2 or 3 shots on the net in the 1st period by my counting and only 1 of them came before the last 15 seconds. The goal that his team scored was pretty nice, picking top left corner while falling down from an apparent trip. Will watch the 2nd and 3rd period this evening.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Two periods in, and I have seen a grand total of one positive comment about HPK's showing in the match. I forecast a fun year of overreaction and turmoil on these boards.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Im not that shocked. He wants to be a powerforward, so it will take time for him to be able to play like one vs men. It's why I have been saying to people that he probably shouldnt be included in the lineup predictions for the next few years.

OHL would be perfect for him right now, but Flint Firebirds own his rights, and based on what I have read, that's not a team he should even touch

perhaps a stupid question, but why does it typically take power forwards so much longer to develop and how is development path different?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
perhaps a stupid question, but why does it typically take power forwards so much longer to develop and how is development path different?

Power forwards need to be able to dominate with their strength and size, which is a tough task for a 18 year old playing vs more physically developed players. At least that's how I see it

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
A big hit and a good chance where the opposing d got just enough stick on the puck to disrupt Vesalainen. I think he would have scored there if the puck didn't bounce over his stick. Overall, he shows flashes of skill and physical dominance, but it often looks like he is either overthinking the situation until the options are gone or his head isn't on the same page as his body. He had some plays that seemed a bit boneheaded and some plays where he had a good idea but the execution was rushed.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Saw him on the powerplay yet when the team got into a 5 vs 3 situation, he was sitting on the bench. Looks like the coach needs more convincing. Only watched one whole period though so not much to tell.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Saw him on the powerplay yet when the team got into a 5 vs 3 situation, he was sitting on the bench. Looks like the coach needs more convincing. Only watched one whole period though so not much to tell.

He probably needs to start producing some points to make it to the 1st PP. almost 20 games in HPK (preseason and last season included) and his stats are 1+0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad