Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At first I was a little bit bummed that we missed out on a top D prospect in the first round. But Vesailainen seems like a great fit and could be an important player for this team, and they got some good D prospects in later rounds so I really can't complain. Going BPA was definitely the right call.

Looks that way right now. To be that definite I think we will have to wait and see how Timmins, Jokiharju and Hague turn out. And, of course how Vesalainen turns out also.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I agree, that's his most likely landing spot. We don't need him there as we have lots of LW's. He might be a slightly better one than any of the others. It limits him though. OTOH a 3LW who can move up a bit may be his peak ability.

If that is the case though he is not as close to the value of that #13 pick as I would like to think he is.

I think if we look at a lot of the players drafted at that spot in "weaker" drafts we usually find a 2nd line spot to be their ceiling. So a 3rd line guy who can move up to the 2nd occasionally is good value at 13 or 24. These are 18 year old kids it's tough to project all but a few of them.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Do you mean compliments Connor and Ehlers by playing 3LW? I don't think 1 line's LW needs to compliment another's. I think he is likely a better NHL player than Tolvanen.

I would have preferred a natural RW. 1)because we have both current and pending needs for RW's and 2)because they are less common, therefore more valuable.

Hague was still there and so were a couple of pretty good RD. You can never have too many RD. OK, Calgary has but that is an extreme. :laugh:

I think Jets have a great mix in the forward group. Not even close to being 1-Dimensional.
Difficult to match up against.

Moving forward Chevy can focus on rebuilding the D-prospect pool.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't understand the W side worries. Ehlers can play either side, Laine played RW last year and can play either side.

Unless you think Mo is going to be here in 2-3 years it doesnt matter :laugh:.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think if we look at a lot of the players drafted at that spot in "weaker" drafts we usually find a 2nd line spot to be their ceiling. So a 3rd line guy who can move up to the 2nd occasionally is good value at 13 or 24. These are 18 year old kids it's tough to project all but a few of them.

I still object to calling this a 'weaker' draft. I think that in a few years we will see it as a deep draft that lacked a top end star. Or two. By my guesstimate 24 this year was better than 18 last year, for example.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't understand the W side worries. Ehlers can play either side, Laine played RW last year and can play either side.

Unless you think Mo is going to be here in 2-3 years it doesnt matter :laugh:.

I'm going on the assumption that improved goaltending = improved coach. The better roster will save Maurice. Sticking to that until it changes.

Even with a more flexible coach (Maurice or other) there is a price to pay playing the off side. It may be small for some players but is larger for others. Frolik switches with no noticeable effect.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Did anyone watch the HPK preseason games? According to this page Vesalainen got demoted from 2nd to 3rd line between the games, so I assume he didn't play that well

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
Did anyone watch the HPK preseason games? According to this page Vesalainen got demoted from 2nd to 3rd line between the games, so I assume he didn't play that well

Actually I read that he played surprisingly well. It's just that the team as a whole played badly, so propably the coach wanted to mix the lines a bit. :)

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level

He actually played more minutes in the 2nd game & stayed with the same linemates.

They were 30 minute games and only 3 lines were playing,
The 3rd line from the 1st game didn't play in the 2nd game at all,
and the guys who didn't play in the 1st game were listed as 2.line in the 2nd game

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Vesalainen might be a good addition when Wheeler stops playing in top 6 role. I wouldn't mind seeing Vesalainen-Scheifele-Laine line if he pans out.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The lineups have been released and it appears that he's going to be on the first line(LW) vs the KHL team Sibir Novosibirsk, starting in 30 minutes.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Are you watching it? No updates on Liiga website :(

No. I wouldn't order Ruutu just to watch preseason. Going to check for opinions after the match(One positive comment regarding Vesalainen sighted, for what it's worth).

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Actually pretty thrilled about the FEL season already. Vesalainen plays a big part in that. Such an intriguing prospect. A great tool box and rare mix of size, skill and speed. Imagine if the Jets hit the jackpot with this guy with frigging #24 pick and he'd one day end up playing with Laine. Such a long way to go but after the U18 WJHC my hopes about this kid came back to life (reserved but nevertheless). A lot of question marks but you just never know. Going to keep a close eye for sure and watch those games. Luckily there's plenty of talent to go around with in the Finnish league that it should make the time fly faster while waiting for the actual NHL season.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Actually pretty thrilled about the FEL season already. Vesalainen plays a big part in that. Such an intriguing prospect. A great tool box and rare mix of size, skill and speed. Imagine if the Jets hit the jackpot with this guy with frigging #24 pick and he'd one day end up playing with Laine. Such a long way to go but after the U18 WJHC my hopes about this kid came back to life (reserved but nevertheless). A lot of question marks but you just never know. Going to keep a close eye for sure and watch those games. Luckily there's plenty of talent to go around with in the Finnish league that it should make the time fly faster while waiting for the actual NHL season.

Is this a summer league?
I would have assumed that the Finnish league would have ran in fall, winter and or spring?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Seems like he received some criticism for being too selfish with the puck - trying to deke too much and not passing when lines are open, instead missing the passing windows.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Can't find any confirmation on this but i thought he got an assist on one of the 3rd period goals. Redirected a shot and someone shot it in.

Last edited:

BoneDocUK

Recovering hockey fandoc
Oct 1, 2015
Seems like he received some criticism for being too selfish with the puck - trying to deke too much and not passing when lines are open, instead missing the passing windows.

At last -- Evander Kane, with Finnish!

morkkis35

Aug 9, 2017
Too bad WJC and Spengler Cup are at same time. HPK is particpating at Spengler Cup this year, so would have been nice to see him against Swiss and Canadian (pre-)olympic Nationalteams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad