Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There's no rush, mate. Besides, he has a pro contract with a FEL team, and can't sign an NHL contract until that one runs out. He was drafted out of Europe, so he's essentially Jets property for 4 years.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
There's no rush, mate. Besides, he has a pro contract with a FEL team, and can't sign an NHL contract until that one runs out. He was drafted out of Europe, so he's essentially Jets property for 4 years.

Yes he can. The IIHF/NHL transfer agreement sees to that. There would be the ~200k transfer fee, though. Laine, Aho, Pulju and many others have an existing FEL contract at this very moment.

Vesalainen being a 1st round draftee, the Jets would even have a full control on him and could play him in the AHL (unlike 18-19 y.o. later round draftees who would need to be offered back to the IIHF team he has the contract with if he didn't make it to the NHL roster).

It's probably not a full coincidence that the FEL teams as a rule seem to sign the promising kiddos for three year contracts on their Draft(-1) year.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
His Liiga season starts in about 2 weeks. Will finally have some decent quality hockey to watch soon. I assume Liiga has their equivalent of a training camp? Anyone know how that's going and what line we should expect him on?

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
His Liiga season starts in about 2 weeks. Will finally have some decent quality hockey to watch soon. I assume Liiga has their equivalent of a training camp? Anyone know how that's going and what line we should expect him on?

Actually the pre-Season started in Finland three weeks ago ( July 31st).
I don't know which line Vesalainen should be playing in NHL but if he founds good chemistry with Laine and Scheifele then let him play with those guys.

I'm not followed HPK's pre-season games so i don't know which guys have played with Vesalainen in HPK.
But upcoming world juniors in Buffalo Vesalainen probably plays with Joni Ikonen and Eeli Tolvanen or Aapeli Rasanen and Eeli Tolvanen.

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Liiga preseason has been going on for a while now. Havent watched many games, but he hasnt put up any numbers.

He'll be playing in a u20 tournament 24.8-26.8. Another Jets prospect, Santeri Virtanen will be there too. Three games in three days, so that should give a nice indication where he is at.

edit. According to live score site i used to follow the preseason games, he started the preseason in the 1st line but was demoted to 3rd line before the latest game.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wonder if he's in Finland one or two more years?

Even if he doesn't make Jets next year, they may want to keep an eye on him with Moose. Make sure he adapts well to their NA style.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front

Middle six role and go from there depending on how he does. His team hasn't got that much offensive talent, so he should stay in the lineup instead of :popcorn: through the whole season, even if he doesn't produce right away.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Liiga preseason has been going on for a while now. Havent watched many games, but he hasnt put up any numbers.

He'll be playing in a u20 tournament 24.8-26.8. Another Jets prospect, Santeri Virtanen will be there too. Three games in three days, so that should give a nice indication where he is at.

edit. According to live score site i used to follow the preseason games, he started the preseason in the 1st line but was demoted to 3rd line before the latest game.

Did this tournament start today? Is there anywhere I could see boxscores?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Did this tournament start today? Is there anywhere I could see boxscores?

Boxscores for Kristian's 1st game. Rest of the games and boxscores can be found here. Hopefully you can use the site despite the language.
Edit. Change "tulevat ottelut" to "kaikki ottelut" to see the past games

Apparently the next 2 team finland games vs Russia and sweden will be streamed.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Apparently Jacob Cederholm is the team sweden u20 captain in the 4 nations tourney. Good for him I guess. Maybe he could get a spot at the WJC too.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
why is there no talking about Winnipeg picking vesalainen instead of Tolvanen who Went surprisingly at 30th?

Tolvanen is the man and has been for some weeks now. showing skills and Points at KHL preseason and just playd this seasons first game. result? 3 goals and 1 assist!

this just 18 years filled youngsterteenager could win the seasons pointtrophy. this kid looks like a Yzerman out there. dancing, speeding around and shooting great wristers.

oh , yeah...he isnt canadian or american. imagine laine and highly skilled pass/shootingking Tolvanen together. now that would have been something that!.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
why is there no talking about Winnipeg picking vesalainen instead of Tolvanen who Went surprisingly at 30th?

Tolvanen is the man and has been for some weeks now. showing skills and Points at KHL preseason and just playd this seasons first game. result? 3 goals and 1 assist!

this just 18 years filled youngsterteenager could win the seasons pointtrophy. this kid looks like a Yzerman out there. dancing, speeding around and shooting great wristers.

oh , yeah...he isnt canadian or american. imagine laine and highly skilled pass/shootingking Tolvanen together. now that would have been something that!.

Why is there no talk of every other team but Nashville not picking him? Cuz KHL success is irrelevant

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Well if anything, it's probably Florida who will be looking into the mirror in the future, especially if Tippett doesn't come through and Tolvanen does. They were the one team looking for that scoring winger and I'm leaning towards the latter despite the size issues. No one in the last draft has the same shooting abilities while most of his attributes can be improved.

But yeah, Tolvanen has a wrist shot almost as good as Laine's and imagine having two players like that, who can score from pretty much anywhere. The powerplay would be a nightmare while having to cover for 2 guys at the same time, Nevertheless, I think Vesalainen could have a great year as well. One doesn't exclude the other.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I'm honestly getting pretty worried about Vesalainen's development again. I thought the U18 production was a sign of him being after all a very solid prospect, but now that he has gone completely pointless in all the pre-season games and also in yesterday's junior national team game, I'm seriously starting to think that he is having some issues.

Of course pre-season doesn't tell necessarily very much, but still to be completely pointless in a good amount of games is kind of alarming. I just hope he will get quickly success with scoring when the FEL season finally starts in less than two weeks.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm honestly getting pretty worried about Vesalainen's development again. I thought the U18 production was a sign of him being after all a very solid prospect, but now that he has gone completely pointless in all the pre-season games and also in yesterday's junior national team game, I'm seriously starting to think that he is having some issues.

Of course pre-season doesn't tell necessarily very much, but still to be completely pointless in a good amount of games is kind of alarming. I just hope he will get quickly success with scoring when the FEL season finally starts in less than two weeks.

As long as he improves the area of his game the Jets want him 2.. Its way way way 2 early to be concerned.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Pre draft, the Canucks Army list (which I was 1/6th of the input in) had:

Tolvanen 15th: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/11/nation-network-2017-prospect-profile-15-eeli-tolvanen/
Vesalainen 17th: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/09/nation-network-2017-prospect-profiles-17-kristian-vesalainen/

I don't really see how one KHL game should make these two worlds apart. Talk about small sample size.

It's not about just one game. Tolvanen apparently was the highest scorer in the team playing KHL even during the pre-season. I think they both have their pros & cons but right now Eeli is showing why he was ranked higher than were he got picked off. The kid instantly broke a record at KHL and it wasn't just luck (an inch away of scoring 4 goals).

As long as he improves the area of his game the Jets want him 2.. Its way way way 2 early to be concerned.

True. Who knows, Vesalainen might just have an Armia like development curve, slow but steady. I'll certainly watch some of his games as soon as the season begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad