Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Sucks to be a Coyote's fan.
What happened to that franchise in Arizona was what I envisioned happening to the Sabres if the Hamister group got a hold of them prior to Golisano. Never enough money, trying to get sweetheart public financing for venues without the political clout or support, never a serious investment to improve the on-ice product.

I'm pretty interested to follow and see what happens with the new owners in Utah. They seem pretty invested in building something.

Last edited:

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I didn't realize the Caps were in such bad cap situation. Do we not discuss them as trade partners because anything they would be willing to lose is something we wouldn't want?
I think they’re planning to use LTIR (or maybe have? Idk) in a way that isn’t yet reflected

Reactions: michaelsaas

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

This obsession with the “advantage” no tax states have is silly.

Tampa and Vegas won their Cups with payrolls 15-20mil over the upper limit. They worked LTIR and other rules so they could carry a much larger payroll than the upper limit.

If the NHL eliminated every loophole and teams could only spend to the upper limit. No exceptions. Then neither Vegas nor Tampa could have assembled their Cup teams. Their tax status wouldn’t have done squat to change that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When teams in lower tax areas have shitty ownership and management like say, the Panthers for most of their existence, it was no advantage. Good teams in high tax locations draw players because they are GOOD TEAMS. Adams whinging about it has everything to do with being a shitty team for a generation now.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Pegula Sports and Entertainment is directly benefiting from $850 million gift for a new stadium, half of which taxpayers will be paying back for the next 30 years and will be in the neighborhood of 1.1 billion when everything is said and done.

So these asshole billionaire's proxies need to just shut the f*** up about tax states v. non-tax states.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
When teams in lower tax areas have shitty ownership and management like say, the Panthers for most of their existence, it was no advantage. Good teams in high tax locations draw players because they are GOOD TEAMS. Adams whinging about it has everything to do with being a shitty team for a generation now.
If you asked players what their dream team to sign with would be the top two would be pigtown and noo yawk (places that are two of the worst tax hells imaginable).

Reactions: Jeremy2020

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Winning fixes what ails you. Players are not ignorant of what’s going on in the league. They know which teams are trying to win, which teams will win, and which teams that winning takes a back seat to profitability.

Following the league for us fans is a hobby with varying degrees of scrutiny. Imagine being the players looking at things like it’s a career and looking for the best spots for their services and in turn what is best for their families.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Pegula Sports and Entertainment is directly benefiting from $850 million gift for a new stadium, half of which taxpayers will be paying back for the next 30 years and will be in the neighborhood of 1.1 billion when everything is said and done.

So these asshole billionaire's proxies need to just shut the f*** up about tax states v. non-tax states.
Trotz is the GM of a team in a no income tax state saying that his team does have an advantage because of it.

He is not a proxy for a billionaire who owns a team in a high tax city.

It is an advantage.

Good weather is an advantage.

Being located in a big city with lots of stuff going on like NY and LA is an advantage.

But, those advantages do not guarantee winning nor that every FA will want to sign in certain cities.

Running your team well is the ultimate advantage. But, that doesn't meant that these other types of advantages do not exist.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

One of Nicoletti’s most important tips is the protein shake before bed. She explained that it’s easier to maximize intake by drinking calories instead of eating them. A 500-calorie smoothie late at night is bang for the buck.

“That’s the main thing that helps me put on weight,” Chris Pelosi, a 19-year-old Bruins forward, said of his protein drink. “Because if I drink that right before bed, I’m not burning it off right away. It’s just sitting in there. The next morning, I can just restart.”

Pelosi will be a freshman at Quinnipiac University this fall. The 6-foot-1, 181-pounder wants to weigh 195 pounds by the time he turns pro.

“You’re burning just as much,” Pelosi said of tipping intake over expenditure. “You’ve just got to force it down.”

Kids have it tough these days.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
A OS for Byfield would need to be quite large to force LA's hand. They have 21 players signed and $9M in capspace. Next year they'll get hung up a bit, but that's Kopitar's last year and after that it's smooth sailing baring an unforced error.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Trotz is the GM of a team in a no income tax state saying that his team does have an advantage because of it.

He is not a proxy for a billionaire who owns a team in a high tax city.

It is an advantage.

Good weather is an advantage.

Being located in a big city with lots of stuff going on like NY and LA is an advantage.

But, those advantages do not guarantee winning nor that every FA will want to sign in certain cities.

Running your team well is the ultimate advantage. But, that doesn't meant that these other types of advantages do not exist.
And I not only question whether it's true, but also his motivation to even say it.

My counterpoint was that most of these places would not have venues to play in without public funding. Do I really need to start itemizing how closely hockey, as a sport, is dependent on public funding as opposed to other sports? Shall we start to talk about national development programs? How about how every public rink in the western world is financed? Who is footing the energy bills to keep those buildings refrigerated?

Lets be real here. This state tax thing is worn out and doesn't hold up to even the slightest scrutiny when you look at other ways these states raise revenue or other comparable costs like property taxes. If it was an issue, the owners could fix it.

Anyway, bottom line is the sabres can't attract talent because they are bad, not because they are in NYS.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
And I not only question whether it's true, but also his motivation to even say it.

My counterpoint was that most of these places would not have venues to play in without public funding. Do I really need to start itemizing how closely hockey, as a sport, is dependent on public funding as opposed to other sports? Shall we start to talk about national development programs? How about how every public rink in the western world is financed? Who is footing the energy bills to keep those buildings refrigerated?

Lets be real here. This state tax thing is worn out and doesn't hold up to even the slightest scrutiny when you look at other ways these states raise revenue or other comparable costs like property taxes. If it was an issue, the owners could fix it.

Anyway, bottom line is the sabres can't attract talent because they are bad, not because they are in NYS.
Public funding for buildings doesn't have anything to do with players taking less money in certain locations in part because they actually see more of their paycheck. And given the salary cap, that really doesn't matter.

Players, agents, and GMs both in low tax and high tax cities have talked about it being an advantage for certain teams. And the Sabres can be bad due to a decade plus of poo team management.

It is not an either/or thing. It is a yes/and thing.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

It's not just about attracting talent. It's when teams negotiate a lower AAV with their good players because of the no tax benefit.

They are able to fit more under the salary cap.

I do wonder, is cost of living still less in Buffalo area than for the Florida teams? (taking into account housing and insurance costs)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It's not just about attracting talent. It's when teams negotiate a lower AAV with their good players because of the no tax benefit.

They are able to fit more under the salary cap.

I do wonder, is cost of living still less in Buffalo area than for the Florida teams? (taking into account housing and insurance costs)

Probably not, housing is a small percentage of someone's budget making >1M/yr. Housing just doesn't scale at the same speed as income for a professional athlete.

Reactions: Jacob582

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

The Panthers have been MUCH better since the cap was introduced. Made the playoffs 7/19 times vs 3/11 pre-cap. That doesn't include factoring in the higher percentage of teams which made the post season pre-cap.

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Panthers have been MUCH better since the cap was introduced. Made the playoffs 7/19 times vs 3/11 pre-cap. That doesn't include factoring in the higher percentage of teams which made the post season pre-cap.

In the 11 years with Viola as owner, they've made the playoffs 6 times in 11 seasons. They'd only gone 5 times in the previous 19 years. Ownership and organization matter.

Ad

Ad

Ad