Around the NHL: Post-Draft and Free Agent Frenzy

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If McLeod is worth Savoie, Drury is worth Savoie plus Benson.
Chad mentioned that Buffalo and Carolina were talking and that it wasn't about Necas.

My bet is that we were offering Savoie to Carolina for Drury. Problem is, Carolina's system is just about as loaded as ours so Carolina likely wanted a roster player for Drury (if he was available at all).

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
No, but my ex-wife's cousin and her husband used to be about that life...

The Villages are calling you Doak.

Not only would I have to return to florida, but...

I'd wonder if the burning i felt was the 90% humidity....or...well...

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Chad mentioned that Buffalo and Carolina were talking and that it wasn't about Necas.

My bet is that we were offering Savoie to Carolina for Drury. Problem is, Carolina's system is just about as loaded as ours so Carolina likely wanted a roster player for Drury (if he was available at all).
Not benson , not novikov but Drury would be as heart and soul as his father, which is a rare reflection ( worth two firsts to play w benson who will only improve) and heal full circle the mistakes of Naples Golisano

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I still wonder if there’s something to the 2018 WJC team involvement that’s been in his way mentally.

Also, in other news, SDN talking about Bill Zito:

I’m reminded of the conversation about value the Savoie trade.

It makes sense, but the point with Zito is, he has everything he needs except the way to get through the blizzard (win the cup). The Sabres don't really have the Chalet.....So trading Mazerati for a SUV, but you don't even have your house to go to yet.

Basically, square peg for a round hole you needed, but you still need more square pegs.

It just doesn't really apply as much here. The concept is fine.

This is a pretty common idea for contending teams. it has been a talking point for Toronto for 5+ years of moving forwards for D/G.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I still wonder if there’s something to the 2018 WJC team involvement that’s been in his way mentally.

Also, in other news, SDN talking about Bill Zito:

I’m reminded of the conversation about value the Savoie trade.

What a great story by Zito.

Thinking through it from his perspective..... the Sabres goal isn't to win the Cup. They aren't close yet. So it's got to be making the playoffs. Adams and Ruff came into the off-season with no 4th line, misfits on the 3rd line, and needing some depth at goaltending and defense.

Adams signs Lafferty and Aube-Kabel. He loses the Malenstyn trade, but now he's got Ruff the 4th line he needs. They are all fast and can handle the defensive and checking duties which no line has been able to handle since Johan Larsson was in town.

Adams trades Savoie for McLeod. McLeod as the 3C instantly allows Ruff to use some combination of Greenway, Krebs, Benson, and Zucker to form a 2 way 3rd line. So he loses the McLeod trade but it also shores up Ruff's 3rd line as a two-way line which can match scoring lines and play with speed. And maybe chip in some goals.

The second order effects are that the Thompson and Cozens lines don't have to handle the defensive duties and don't have to penalty kill. Ruff can even form a line around Cozens that is another 2-way line and try to play like Florida. A lot of the defensive woes have been from forwards not backchecking or covering for the D when they activate.

So I really get where Zito's coming from.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It makes sense, but the point with Zito is, he has everything he needs except the way to get through the blizzard (win the cup). The Sabres don't really have the Chalet.....So trading Mazerati for a SUV, but you don't even have your house to go to yet.

Basically, square peg for a round hole you needed, but you still need more square pegs.

It just doesn't really apply as much here. The concept is fine.

This is a pretty common idea for contending teams. it has been a talking point for Toronto for 5+ years of moving forwards for D/G.

And yet, they still need to turn some of their awesome potential triangles into square pegs. It isn’t gonna happen in a single move. Where Zito seems to excel is in the scratch and dent bin. He’s really good at finding players who fits specific roles. I put that on him and his pro scouting And the various hockey mines that he has around him, including guys like Dudley.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
And yet, they still need to turn some of their awesome potential triangles into square pegs. It isn’t gonna happen in a single move. Where Zito seems to excel is in the scratch and dent bin. He’s really good at finding players who fits specific roles. I put that on him and his pro scouting And the various hockey mines that he has around him, including guys like Dudley.
Sabres still at one pro NHL level scout?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What a great story by Zito.

Thinking through it from his perspective..... the Sabres goal isn't to win the Cup. They aren't close yet. So it's got to be making the playoffs. Adams and Ruff came into the off-season with no 4th line, misfits on the 3rd line, and needing some depth at goaltending and defense.

Adams signs Lafferty and Aube-Kabel. He loses the Malenstyn trade, but now he's got Ruff the 4th line he needs. They are all fast and can handle the defensive and checking duties which no line has been able to handle since Johan Larsson was in town.

Adams trades Savoie for McLeod. McLeod as the 3C instantly allows Ruff to use some combination of Greenway, Krebs, Benson, and Zucker to form a 2 way 3rd line. So he loses the McLeod trade but it also shores up Ruff's 3rd line as a two-way line which can match scoring lines and play with speed. And maybe ship in some goals.

The second order effects are that the Thompson and Cozens lines don't have to handle the defensive duties and don't have to penalty kill. Ruff can even form a line around Cozens that is another 2-way line and try to play like Florida. A lot of the defensive woes have been from forwards not backchecking or covering for the D when they activate.

So I really get where Zito's coming from.

Very much so. Roster construction based on role rather than winning every trade. Also they now have someone who was statistically excellent transition of puck from defensive offensive zone in McLeod one of the problems under Granato everything having to be a stretch pass to get out of their own zone. Some of that is due to the fact that every winner on the team blows the zone early and DON‘s system as does their one C.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Two. We hired one earlier in the offseason.

Capture.PNG

It would be nice if they gave more of a description than just "scout"...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Eh - still mad that New Era bought '47 Brand. At least they're better than Fanatics crap. Again, I wish The Game would step back up.

I take hats very seriously - "dad" cap/strap/stretch fitted/curved brim only.
The '47 Clean Up is my favorite hat. But, the New Era 9Twenty isn't bad.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad